SASS Wire Forum

Rule Clarification

Scrub Oak Willie 53737

Howdy Bill,

My reference was solely directed to the pistol issue, of which Newlines stated as a no call. I quoted his post. Read his 1st para, 6th sentence concerning the live round left in the pistol.

See you tomorrow at the TN State.

SAFE TRAVELS.

..........Widder

My bad Widder!

I'm looking forward to the TN match. We're on the same posse!! I looked at the list and this is going to be one heckuva posse!! Whoohooo!

Thanks for the kind words Widder, not sure Roma would agree after last week, I missed a round in her rifle and allowed her to pick up a MS. I wanted the penalty to transfer to me but the rules wont allow that. I do try to learn from my mistakes.

This is going to be a great match, Lady T and I are packing now and will hit the road this afternoon. Got to get though Chattanooga before 4:00

We had a stage at a state championship that was shooters choice of firearms order with one pistol being shot at one position and another shot at another position. I asked if the first pistol was shot first and the second pistol was shot last could I stage the first pistol and holster after the second pistol was shot. There was a place to stage the first pistol safely. I was told NO and when it was discussed with the MD later and I asked him to look it up he told me if I had done it they would have given he a SOG. At no point in time did the PM and the MD even offer to look it up. During the discussion I told them that you did not have to reholster until the shooting string was done. The MD told me that if the pistols are shot at different times it is two separate shooting strings. kR

We had a stage at a state championship that was shooters choice of firearms order with one pistol being shot at one position and another shot at another position. I asked if the first pistol was shot first and the second pistol was shot last could I stage the first pistol and holster after the second pistol was shot. There was a place to stage the first pistol safely. I was told NO and when it was discussed with the MD later and I asked him to look it up he told me if I had done it they would have given he a SOG. At no point in time did the PM and the MD even offer to look it up. During the discussion I told them that you did not have to reholster until the shooting string was done. The MD told me that if the pistols are shot at different times it is two separate shooting strings. kR

Did you look it up?

That would be TWO separate revolver "shooting strings" if the shooter chose to shoot another firearm in between the two pistol engagements.

The proper (rulebook) penalty would have been a MSV for violation of Stage Convention #7.

REF: RO1 p.15 #6 and the "Penalty Overview" p.24

If the shooter had chosen to shoot the revolvers "back to back" in a continuous 10-round shooting string, there would be no penalty for reholstering at the end of the shooting string..other than having to return to the first position to retrieve the revolver from that location immediately after firing the second pistol.

One of the problems with too little stage instruction...

What's the problem with "shooter's choice" ?

... other than expecting match officials (and/or a competitor) at a state championship to actually KNOW THE RULES?

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

What's the problem with "shooter's choice" ?

... other than expecting match officials (and/or a competitor) at a state championship to actually KNOW THE RULES?

I went to a match once where there was a nitro glycerin stage where a magnet in a coffee can would make contact, set off a buzzer, and you would explode (10 second penalty). Well I was spotting and noticed it was taking 12-13 seconds for folks to pack the glycerin to the table and then it would alarm and they would get their 10 second penalty.

When it was my turn I just grabbed the thing, took my 10 seconds and won the stage. The other posse folks had a blank look and checked the instructions to see if I had violated them. It didn't say I couldn't so I did it. I felt like a total jerk and regretted it the whole ride home. There was a shooter there that totally looked the part of a cowboy and though he never said a word I can still see his stare.

In hindsight I didn't think I should have gotten away with shooting a different stage than everyone else and I called the match director and told him. We decided that a couple more words of instruction can go a long way toward the intent of a stage.

Knowing the rules is essential! But I also know the it don't say I can't crowd has caused much lawyering and the expansion of the rule book. I guess in the end if you can shoot a stage differently than the 18 others on your posse and go look in the mirror... your good.

Personally, I see shooter's choice and too little stage instruction as two different things. I absolutely hate stages written where every step, position, shot, target are spelled out in a stage. I truly think they are written to serve the benefit of someone in particular. Someone who can't, won't and has never thought about the best way to shoot a stage.

If the stage writer's intent is for everyone to do something a certain way, they need to be very specific.

However, I also feel that the simplest of stages have the MOST questions. Put up a single 4'x8' target. "Stage shotgun and rifle on table, hit target 10 times with pistols, 10 times with rifle and 4 times with shotgun. Don't end with the rifle." That stage will get so many questions. Can I shoot shotgun first? Where are my hands? Can I this? Can I that?

I like, "stage your long guns safely" it lets you figure out where to stage them....

you don't even need to say restage safely, or to holster,,,,

this weekend at Tusco there were lots of stages with loads of options,,, I likey!!!

oh, and like at Winter Range this year,,, if pistols are staged, the line shud be,,,,"my pistols are staged on the table"

I like stage descriptions that are open to where the shooter places/returns their firearms and where he shoots them from. Options they say.

Example Stage is set up like this:

Pistol targets are to the far right side of bay (window,door, table, whatever)

SG targets are to the far left side of bay ( window, table, door, hay bale, whatever)

Rifle targets are in center of bay (window, table,door,hay bale, whatever).

Stage description says: Start from anywhere and hands on hat, shoot pistols in xyz sequence, starting on either end, rifle in xyz sweep, starting on either end, and engage SG targets till down. Use all three positions and do not end with rifle. Geeee, lots of options, 95% of the people will start the shooting sequence on the left anyway, and 99% stages are 10-10-4 and pistol/rifle sequence is the same.

Pretty well can swing the gun order and shooting sequence the way the stage writer wants, just by where the targets are placed is the point

Archived