SASS Wire Forum

Camo painted aircraft

I was looking at some camo painted aircraft yesterday, helicopters and fighter jets. Took some illegal pictures too. )))

I got an Alpo-like thought and could not find the answer on the internet (very un-Alpo-like, I know). I remember when I was in Germany that we sometimes got camo patterns on our vehicles because every can of OD paint was a different color.

Is the paint pattern applied freehand? Is there a standard for how to do it, some percentages of this and that other color?

I know that in WWII there were exact patterns for aircraft camouflage. Somewhere (might have been on my last computer) I had a bookmark showing the plans for their systems, and even the color specifications.

Here is a decent little article: http://defence.pk/threads/ww2-planes-camouflage-and-paint.359582/

I'm not sure about ground vehicles, but I would think that there are still specifications on where the colors go.

There are specific patterns and paints in the regulations for vehicle camouflage. You don't want to leave it up to units to do their own thing.

Howdy,

One time when I was camping in da North a fella had a camo bus.

He said he was stopped by some fed muckettymuck who wanted to know how

he got the plans for the pattern. Supposed to be sorta restricted.

All he did was copy a army jacket and scale it up a little.

Muckettymuck made a face and went away.

Any help?

Best

CR

The paint(s) used for Camo have specifically called out pigments for color and must meet requirements. The paint is also issued a Federal Stock Number, which insures the provider meets the exact color requirement for uniformity batch to batch. Then, following a pattern guide,

the paint shop paints the object (airplane, vehicle, building, slow moving observer) freehand with a spray gun.

Knowing the actual procurement system, the chance of two batches of paint actually being the same color are .......... nil.

Coffinmaker

PS: You'd be amazed at how much weight paint adds to an airplane.

Howdy,

One time when I was camping in da North a fella had a camo bus.

He said he was stopped by some fed muckettymuck who wanted to know how

he got the plans for the pattern. Supposed to be sorta restricted.

All he did was copy a army jacket and scale it up a little.

Muckettymuck made a face and went away.

Any help?

Best

CR

BS . No such thing as a "restricted" pattern.

Notice how US aircraft were delivered unpainted toward the end of WWII??

More than one reason for that, but the two big ones were they were lighter and could carry more, faster for one. And for the other, at that time we were having trouble finding Axis a/c to shoot down, which was one of the main goals along about then. We didn't mind their being able to spot us and engage.

Army camo paint is also supposed to be CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) paint. CARC paint has health hazards and therefore not supposed to be applied by line units.

The operative word in both the above sentences is "supposed".

Army camo paint is also supposed to be CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) paint. CARC paint has health hazards and therefore not supposed to be applied by line units.

That's funny, because one of the purposes of CARC is to prevent chemical warfare agents from being absorbed by the paint on the equipment.

I was looking at some camo painted aircraft yesterday, helicopters and fighter jets. Took some illegal pictures too. )))

I got an Alpo-like thought and could not find the answer on the internet (very un-Alpo-like, I know). I remember when I was in Germany that we sometimes got camo patterns on our vehicles because every can of OD paint was a different color.

Is the paint pattern applied freehand? Is there a standard for how to do it, some percentages of this and that other color?

I have painted the camo on Jeeps and 8 inch howitzers before. We did it freehand.

Turns out there is a manual that shows how it's supposed to look, but nobody told us that beforehand.

Todays aircraft have a very specific pattern that must be followed. Fer instance, here I work in a paint shop and some of my coworkers have been painters on the A-10, F-16, and C-130 planes. They have to follow aspecific pattern down to the color change is on specific panels and within a few rivets of being the same on each plane. The pattern on the Thunderbirds must be exact although that is certainly not a "camo" job!

We also paint the expandable shelters with CARC, and in the storage yard they are stacked up after complete refurbish, their patterns line up so from top to bottom and / or side to side their paint jobs look like one continuous paint pattern. Our basic job is the single color kind of a forest green, then depending on the end user and where in the world its going it may get a camo job, or stay Light Desert Tan, or Sand in color. Normally the LDT and Sand stay one color and the forest green may get flat brown & flat black overlay in specific patterns.

Years ago when I was an Airman, we painted the Jeeps M-151, in a camo pattern, IAW Tech Order 36-1-3, a number I'll never forget no matter how hard I try!! That has since been resinded and no longer in use but if you google it there are old versions on line that show some pics of the old method of outlining the pattern with chalk.

The Federal standard colors is Fed Std 595

PS: You'd be amazed at how much weight paint adds to an airplane.

Now, imagine how much it adds to a ship!

Naval Ships Technical Manual (NSTM) Chapter 631 - Preservation of Ships in Service - covers the requirements for the Navy.

Archived