SASS Wire Forum

Question on raffle...

Major Art Tillery

This question is for those that have raffled off a rifle, pistol, ect at an event. How did you do the tickets? One free with entry, then pay for extras? What kind of ticket sales work best? Got an idea I am pondering, so any help would be great. Thanks

The possibilities are endless, but most I've seen do it that way (first one free...additional tickets available for purchase).

Many years ago, one club gave each registered shooter ONE ticket (among others, but this one was a different color than the others for the general "buy as many chances as you'd like" raffle).

At the end of the lonng, HOT awards ceremony, it was announced that there were two rifles to be given away using those "special" tickets.

Only those who had stayed for the entire proceedings were eligible (i.e. winning ticket holder had to be present to win)

IMO...they would likely had more folks stick around to the end if they'd announced that BEFORE the awards.

Seen it both ways. One shooter, one ticket is nice, everyone has the same chance. Sell tickets he who shells out the most has the best chance. Have also seen playing card raffles. One deck, or two with different color backs. Sell each card for like 20 bucks, then you tear the card in half and put half in the bucket and keep half, at the awards a card half is drawn for the prize. Many are must be present to win kinda things, you don't want to slip off to the outhouse without turning your cards over to a trusted friend....

Howdy,

I don't KNOW but you might want to check around for state laws having to do with this.

As a ticket buyer I would be real unhappy if I won but had to be present and the

be present part was withheld.

Do unto others.....

Best

CR

Howdy,

I don't KNOW but you might want to check around for state laws having to do with this.

As a ticket buyer I would be real unhappy if I won but had to be present and the

be present part was withheld.

Do unto others.....

Best

CR

You also want to make certain that your state doesn't have regulations limiting the income from raffles without a permit.

I ran afoul of the OR State AG a number of years ago (non-SASS raffle, but one of the prizes was a Uberti SA revolver)...ended up having to call back all of the tickets sent out and return all the money to those who purchased chances. A couple other BoD members thought it would be a good idea to send out books of tickets to every member of our organization; then let those who wanted to enter send in the stubs along with the $$.

Potential net profits were higher than allowed under state gaming regs and required a $50 permit.

After recovering from that adventure having new tickets printed, sales were limited to a calculated maximum number, focusing on Cowboy Action shooters and family members.

All ticket sales were logged in a ledger and kept on file until the prizes were delivered.

YMMV.

At Westmatch last weekend everyone got a raffle ticket with their entry and then at each stage was some type bonus ticket earning action. Either hitting a small extra rifle or pistol target, or performing some pre-fire act like getting a horseshoe in a bucket etc. It was fun.

Check your state laws. All the clubs where I work had to cancel their fund raising raffels. State law only allows raffles under very restrictive guidelines.

If raffling a firearm be sure to do the transfer through a dealer. Will keep you from getting in trouble with the law. Especially important if the winner lives out of state.

We do the "make the shot, get a ticket" at our holiday turkey shoot. For raffles, we try to sell them only to cowboy action shooters. If somebody else gets ahold of one, they're in.

I the great state of Jawja, only non profit organizations can conduct a raffle. You must get a free permit from the local sheriff or it is considered commercial gambling (felony). Be sure to check your state laws and follow them to the letter if your going to do a raffle.

Some of the shoots I have been to do separate drawings and prizes using free shooter tickets and purchased raffle tickets. This I like. I have also seen raffle tickets sold one at a time and by the arm stretch. This I don't mind. If you want to see a well run awards banquet Go to Land Run. I assume that the SW Regional, Red Dirt Rampage will be good as well.

After being involved with Little League and running a fndraiser raffle for a few years, I discovered there are a lot more laws than you might think. You likly want to check in with your state. One thing I discovered, in a multiple prize raffle each ticket has to have an opportunity to win each prize. So, if you draw a ticket out and give a gun cleaning kit away, that ticket has to go back in the hat to be there for when you draw the guns at the end. That being said, it is highly unlikley that the state is going to bust a cowboy club for gaming violations, but it could happen.

Archived