SASS Wire Forum

Ladies

Alpo

Wonder if jewelry stores give you your money back on engagement rings?

Thinking about proposals.

Ladies, if you was being proposed to, would you druther he do the "down on one knee, shove the ring in her face" thing, or would you prefer he ask, and then - assuming you accepted - the two of you go to the jewelers, so that you have some input on the thing that's gonna be sitting on your left hand for the rest of forever?

The whole TV-type "buy the ring first" seems dumb. First off - what if she says no? WILL the jeweler take it back?

Second, I don't like to get clothes as gifts - other folks don't know what I think looks good on me. Why should my idea of a pretty ring force my poor bride to wear some gaudy bauble?

When I proposed I did it without the ring. Just seemed to make more sense.

I never got the holding the ring up while proposing.

Seem so much like a bride to say, Yes.

I think the ring should be displayed after the yes, not before.

Like you, I did not have a ring with me.

I had saved up and was ready to buy.

I did have a budget, my job did not pay much and it took a very long time to save up.

Heck, the car I owned at the time, cost me $110 (1957 Ford) and I drove it for 5 years before getting a newer one. (1971 new ford van for work)

Merlot got her engagement ring 2 years after we were married.

I could either afford a couple nice gold bands or the engagement diamond when I asked her.

She said yes without having anything so I guess she saw something in me.

Been alsmost 38 years so I guess she still does, but I'll be danged if I know what.

Shakey

I asked first without any kind of ring. My wife was not pleased and said no because that's not how a proposal is supposed to be. I had to talk her into giving me some guidance on what kinda ring she wanted. She finally relented but then told me it meant I'd have to work extra hard to make it a surprise or she'd say no again. I never did make it much of a surprise, I just kept asking and wore her down. But hey, at least it's a ring she really likes and she wears it all the time.

My practice wife liked the engagement ring so much that I later found out she pawned it. She had been telling me for years that she had lost it. Mrs. Lose still has on the ring I put on her finger 25 years ago, of course it's cubic zirconia and not diamond so it probably won't get pawned.

Cowpoke asks the Ladies a question and 8 men answer....?

You noticed that? But, since I'm here:

Question One. I was so broke I couldn't pay attention when we got engaged. I gave Mrs. Doc my fraternity pin. She still keeps it in her jewelry box. I ended up with a second along the line. Her mother actually ended up helping me pick out her engagement ring so there would be some surprise before we actually got married.

Question Two. I have a feeling I will end up picking all my own cowboy action clothes. Mrs. Doc's tastes run toward modern western (think American Quarter Horse and rodeo, not other than). Otherwise, I am generally happy for her to by me clothes as gifts, especially my dressier stuff. When someone would complement me on a tie or suit when I was practicing, I would typically say "My wife dresses me well. She gets credit when I look good, I blame the mistakes on myself."

Archived