SASS Wire Forum

Here they go again

Utah Bob #35998

I've always liked the Ike jacket... but that green with them blue trousers is plumb ghastly.... :huh:

HEY! Nobody said that the Army Brass was fashion conscious.

What is wrong an OD jacket with Infantry Blue trousers?

Let the Marines have those fancy Red and Blue uniforms.

It takes a real man to pick up chicks with OD and Infantry blue. :)

Hardpan - That jacket is blue

Yup. Time for a visit to the optometrist. ;)

It looks green to me.

I do agree with the SMA's premise that there is a level of formality that's currently missing. Once upon a time we had the following, along with their civilian counterparts...

Fatigues or BDUs - Working attire such as jeans.

Class B - Business Casual.

Class A - Coat and Tie.

Dress Mess or Dress Blues - Formal Attire.

Now the Class A is gone, and ACUs seem to be the norm for most occasions. This is true even when in off-post meetings with civilians wearing coats and ties.

At day's end, it matters not much to me. As long as they're ready to fight when called, I don't care.

Getting rid of the little French Foo Foo hat should be at the top of the list when it comes to changing the military's uniform.

Getting rid of the little French Foo Foo hat should be at the top of the list when it comes to changing the military's uniform.

lA9MDR.jpg

I think the beret is fine for Special Forces, but the old overseas cover should come back. Not everyone, very few, in fact, have earned a beret.

Unisex headgear should be the p--- cutter, and the current campaign cover should be retained for more formal occasions.

The Ike jacket is okay, I suppose: I worn one for a lot of years in ROTC) before I was commissioned. Not crazy about it, but it's oaky.

My biggest complaint about Army image is the really stupid logo they're using. I mean realy, a YELLOW star on a black background? They need to put the Army seal back up front. The Marines have their seal on everything and the Navy and Air Force show theirs prominently, but the Army has this thing that looks like a kindergarten design and it doesn't command any respect, and it sure doesn't tell anyone about what it is supposed to identify.

While I'm griping, how about dumping the Miami Vice pastel green shirts and go back to suntans.

Just this week, my wife and I were in San Antonio and saw US Soldiers checking into our motel in fatigue uniforms. Whatever Class A or B uniform they come up with should be the uniform worn off post. To me, seeing soldiers in the fatigue uniform while not on fatigue duty looks slovenly. Where's the pride?

Blue? Heck, I thought it was black. It could be a very dark blue, I suppose. I'm strictly ambivalent about the Ike Jacket. If I were still in, and they were authorized, I would probably end up wearing one on occasion.

While I'm griping, how about dumping the Miami Vice pastel green shirts and go back to suntans.

The green dress shirts have been gone for a few years now.

Blue? Heck, I thought it was black. It could be a very dark blue, I suppose. I'm strictly ambivalent about the Ike Jacket. If I were still in, and they were authorized, I would probably end up wearing one on occasion.

The green dress shirts have been gone for a few years now.

Guess I stopped paying attention. What color are they now?

Never mind. I looked it up.

It appears the Army senior staff has a lot of time being wasted on frippery. I think the uniforms reached their peak about 1970 and have been changing from worst to worst to worst with a new worst arriving way to frequently

Guess I stopped paying attention. What color are they now?

They are white. Changed when the Green Class A went away.

army_class_b.jpg

Just this week, my wife and I were in San Antonio and saw US Soldiers checking into our motel in fatigue uniforms. Whatever Class A or B uniform they come up with should be the uniform worn off post. To me, seeing soldiers in the fatigue uniform while not on fatigue duty looks slovenly. Where's the pride?

I agree completely!

Some butthead in the Pentagon decided the troops would be in "combat uniform" when we declared the War on Terror. It's stupid. The war on terror will NEVER be over so the days of seeing Army personnel dressed like they have some pride in their appearance is over.

You won't see Marines dressed like that. And back in the day you wouldn't dare travel public transportation if not in Class A or B uniform. :angry:

Geez, you guys are *KILLING* me. The jacket is blue. The pants are a slightly lighter blue color than the jacket. This is just a modification of the old dress blue uniform; it has replaced the dress blue and the dress green. We wear either the beret (hate it!) or the "bus driver cap," which I prefer.

THE BLUE UNIFORM DATES ALL THE WAY BACK TO WASHINGTON!!! Yes, you old timers who swear you didn't have a blue uniform, YOU DID. Just because you didn't own one doesn't mean it wasn't in service. All officers were and have always been expected to own one, and it was optional for enlisted. Now that it is the official dress uniform, everyone has one.

The pic below is my most recent official photo, with my real name blurred out. I have earned a few more awards since then, because apparently we hand them out like participation ribbons these days. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

Because we do not sew patches on our shoulders like the old dress greens, one pocket badge replaced the combat patch. The other has been around since the 1950s, but few have seen it. It's called the "Army Staff Identification Badge," which I like to call the "I Survived a Tour in the Pentagon Award."

You may be unfamiliar with my skill badges, too. The top one is the Combat Action Badge, similar to the Combat Infantry Badge except it's awarded to any MOS. The next one is the Basic Parachutist Badge, usually referred to as "jump wings." Surely you're familiar with that one. The one below my ribbon rack you may not know; it's the Space Operations Badge. There are only 349 of us in the entire army, including active duty, national guard, and reserves.

Someone asked about awards above the right pocket. The award that looks like a ribbon with a gold frame around it is a unit award. It's just like one of my individual ribbons, but was awarded to my entire unit. This is a Valorous Unit Citation, which is about the equivalent of an entire unit earning a Bronze Star. We earned it in Iraq in 2003. The one above that is not an award; it's my branch affiliation and reflects that I hail from the Military Police branch.

What kills me is I just bought this uniform about 3 years ago. Now they're thinking about replacing it again?!?!?!? Plus I also had to replace my BDUs with the horrendous ACU, and now I have to replace those with the new "Spider cam" or whatever we're calling it. My original PT (physical training) uniform was grey. Now I wear a black and grey PT uniform, but a black and yellow one will be the standard soon.

I have boxes and boxes full of uniforms, and most of them do me no good anymore! Not to mention about four duffle bags full of equipment -- some BDU pattern, some DCU, and a lot of ACU. All of it is now unserviceable because we're going to the spider cam pattern. WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END?!?!? It seems like I work just to buy more uniforms.

2znn3md.jpg

I wish I could find the article, but it was about the best duck hunting camouflage outfits. Out of all the various camo patterns available (including Army camo patterns) the one that was the hardest to find the duck hunter was the one with the hunter in the plain old solid olive drab. And that was in multiple different outdoor backgrounds.

And Cyrus, I've always thought the Pentagon Service badge was one very attractive badge.

I'm was kinda fond of the khaki shorts and knee length socks that I was issued back in the 1950s.

I felt like I was one of the Desert Rats, with Fidel's Battle Group.

But, (there it is) the exposed knees of some of the troops left a lot to be desired.

As Cyrus states, the official army uniform color is blue. In fact ALL of the services use blue. It was adopted in 1779 during the Revolution.

Here's an 1833 cavalry model. o74O8r.jpg

Of course it's not practical for combat and by the turn of the century, the Army and Marines shifted over to a brown/tan/olive drab field uniform. But the formal dress uniforms remained blue. Then the Army went to a brown class A and the Marines went to the horse blanket olive drab, the Navy....well they've never been in control. Then the army went nutz.

I had to spend some of my meager cash reserve on dress blues in 67 when I was commissioned. Still in the closet. Like new. ;)

q9I9aN.jpg

I never bought Mess Whites, a cape, a dinner Jacket or the other stuff thank goodness. Some guys did. They're probably retired Generals now. ;)

I don't understand the tweaking of the uniforms over the past 20 years other than there are in fact too many general officers in the Pentagon.

Me Too!

The big gold star thing was probably dreamed up by some drone with a marketing degree. Oy.

An ARMY ON ONE?

I was trained that we were all in it together.

I believe they have changed the slogan to Army Strong these days.

Stay tuned for the next snppy, hip slogan.

I WANT YOU is so WW1ish.

As Cyrus states, the official army uniform color is blue. In fact ALL of the services use blue. It was adopted in 1779 during the Revolution.

Here's an 1833 cavalry model. o74O8r.jpg

Of course it's not practical for combat and by the turn of the century, the Army and Marines shifted over to a brown/tan/olive drab field uniform. But the formal dress uniforms remained blue. Then the Army went to a brown class A and the Marines went to the horse blanket olive drab, the Navy....well they've never been in control. Then the army went nutz.

I had to spend some of my meager cash reserve on dress blues in 67 when I was commissioned. Still in the closet. Like new. ;)

q9I9aN.jpg

I never bought Mess Whites, a cape, a dinner Jacket or the other stuff thank goodness. Some guys did. They're probably retired Generals now. ;)

I don't understand the tweaking of the uniforms over the past 20 years other than there are in fact too many general officers in the Pentagon.

Hey, Bubba, put you with attractive people in a nice environment and you show up pretty good. Well, good anyway. Ain't nothing pretty about you. :rolleyes:

Well maybe the slogan should be: The Army doesn't make you dress up!

Or,

There's no telling what you'll wear.

Archived