SASS Wire Forum

The Lasting Effects of Cataract Surgery

I had cataract surgery on my left eye in December of 2010 and my right eye in July of 2011. Couldn't have been happier with the results. Super sharp vision and no glasses for the first time since I was 14.

I had notice some problem with my distance vision with poor lighting. I went to the Eye Dr. 2 weeks ago because of sudden floaters and brightness problems in my right eye. I spent 6 hours in 2 different Eye Dr. office over two days. The results are; 1. My eyes are extremely healthy even though I am diabetic 2. The viscose in my right eye has shrunk away from the retina in that eye. The results are increased floaters, flashes of light and other weird things. It also could explain why the brightness of objects I look at are about 25 - 50 percent less than I see from my left eye 3. My vision has decreased significantly in both eyes. Why the decrease in vision? They say it is because the shape of my corneas has changed.

My question is about the change in vision. When I had the cataract surgery nobody ever talked about my vision changing again. In fact they implied that my vision would never change barring any type of eye disease or injury. I know many of us here have had cataract surgery. Have any of you ever had your vision change in the years after the surgery?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Marlin(No Eagle Eye Anymore)Buckhorn

I had cataract surgery on both eyes, about 9 months apart, eight or nine years ago, with no vision problems since, except one which is quite common- the remnants of the original lens capsule began to cloud, which they treat by busting it with a laser; the "yag" procedure. The first one about a year after the original surgery; the other several years later. But that's a few minutes procedure.

Otherwise, no issues.

I had surgery on my right eye in april this year and on my left eye four weeks ago. Everything is bright, very bright, to the point that indoors in some stores I need to put on eyeglasses to feel comfortable. They tell me this will ease off after a while. Other than that I have about a fifteen hundred bucks worth of trifocal eyeglasses that I can no longer use..

I had my right eye done in 2005 and my left in 2006. I had a retinal reattachment in 2008, common after cataract surgery ( or so they told me) . I have had a slow decrease in vision since. I get a new glasses prescription about every two years.

Oh yeah and one other thing. I used to be right eye dominate now I'm let eye dominate. I still shoot right handed and occassionally I catch myself leaning across the rifle and using my let eye. Needless to say I miss those targets. Lol

Glad to see this thread...I get one done in two weeks and the other two weeks later...Could things change over time, will just have to wait and see...

Texas Lizard

It has to be better than what I have now...

It will be. The procedure does the job very well.

Had both eyes done about ten years ago. After about four years I started having "blurred" vision out of the right eye, was very concerned and went back to the eye doctor and found it was some scar tissue that she (doctor) lasered away in about five minutes and no problems since.

Mine are about 10 years old. I'm back to about the same vision level as before but much clearer. Had to have one lasered 2 years ago.

Archived