SASS Wire Forum

Generator suggestion...Aside from Honda or Yamaha

We were at EOT (90 degrees) only running fridge in addition to 2 Honda 2000's. Shut off while we were gone and sometimes while there with nothing but fridge on. Maybe they are just lemons. Will try it again this year as I have not made the final decision to change yet.

BV

Make sure the engine oil level is to the bottom of the threads for the screw-in dip-stick.

Don't set the gennys in the dirt. They breath from the bottom and will overheat and shut down.

Run the fridge on LPG. All it is a a lg pilot light-

OLG

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate all the suggestions and will give it one last try at this EOT before pulling a trailer behind the 5th wheel with multiple generators on board. Anything to keep the kritters and Sonora happy.

BV

I appreciate all the suggestions and will give it one last try at this EOT before pulling a trailer behind the 5th wheel with multiple generators on board. Anything to keep the kritters and Sonora happy.

BV

You need to refuel those Honda's every 4-4 1/2 hours under that kind of use. Their tank only holds 1 gal of gas.

Also, run prem gas as you should in any air cooled engine.

OLG

I spent hours researching generators last summer. Finally decided on a Troy-Built. It got great reviews and you can buy them at any of the big box stores. Generators are like tractors. When you finally decide on what the perfect size is for your needs get the next biggest one.

Get a Champion. I was a lucky duck that bought one from Costco. It was 9KW and can power my whole house. It was on sale at Costco for $400. A week later I found there was a recall on the carb. Immediately, I got a new carb in the overnight mail, installed it in 15 minutes. They also sent a nice water proof cover. They have some nice 3-4KW units that are not too heavy. Costco has them and other sporting goods stores carry them, normally one has them on sale, ie Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro, Camping World, etc.

+1 great unit , local service and warnty if you ever need it .

BV, I gave up on the 2X of anything long ago. At FR (7Kft) it takes heavy power to run a big AC unit. In the airstream I got tired of problems. Bought a Honda EU6500. Weighs a ton, cost a fortune, works AWESOME !!!! The Queen can run the AC all day, the microwave when she wants, hair dryer or curling iron, and keeps the dog cool. Is quieter then a couple of small units running at heavy loads. Try it, you'll be HAPPY and so will Sonora. ;)

Whatever generator you buy,

if it puts out more than 65 decibels its Too Loud for a campground.

So if you want angry neighbors then buy a cheap generator!

I recollect in Red River that Walter Brennan was running two Honda's off of the chuck wagon and the Duke wanted a nap really bad and shot the generators all to hell.

BV, I gave up on the 2X of anything long ago. At FR (7Kft) it takes heavy power to run a big AC unit. In the airstream I got tired of problems. Bought a Honda EU6500. Weighs a ton, cost a fortune, works AWESOME !!!! The Queen can run the AC all day, the microwave when she wants, hair dryer or curling iron, and keeps the dog cool. Is quieter then a couple of small units running at heavy loads. Try it, you'll be HAPPY and so will Sonora. ;)

4000kw will not run that all at once for sure,,, but will run the AC OR the other stuff,,, I ran my 15000 ac with a 3000 kw just fine,,,

My champion will take the load of my 50amp toy hauler. If I turn off the electric hot Warner element and don't run the micro wave with an electric heater or AC unit. I have a 50 splinter to 30/20 y cable I plug the 30 in to the 30 amp draw and the twenty in the twenty amp draw. And it runs everything and isn't much louder than the Honda or Yamaha per the tests. I get abou six hour per tank that way if I hook it up to a 30 amp rig I get about twice that with the electric element off.

My champion will take the load of my 50amp toy hauler. If I turn off the electric hot Warner element and don't run the micro wave with an electric heater or AC unit. I have a 50 splinter to 30/20 y cable I plug the 30 in to the 30 amp draw and the twenty in the twenty amp draw. And it runs everything and isn't much louder than the Honda or Yamaha per the tests. I get abou six hour per tank that way if I hook it up to a 30 amp rig I get about twice that with the electric element off.

Which model?

Anyone running the Ryobi's

I am running a pair of Ryobis. Have had them for 6 months now. Mostly just use one. They are just as quite as Honda. I did have one go bad on me when I tried to use just one it run a portable heater and the overload did not trip my bad. Had checked one to be sure that it would trip when to much of a load was connected but didn't check the other one. Home Depot replaced it know questions

Whatever generator you buy,

if it puts out more than 65 decibels its Too Loud for a campground.

So if you want angry neighbors then buy a cheap generator!

With all the 68 db Champion 4000 gen sets being sold by all the sporting goods outlets plus Costco, Walmart, etc. you should have a fun time policing your 65 db requirement. Bring a noise level meter. You should rest easy after quiet time.

I bought the 3100 Champion inverter with the RV receptacle. I've only tried it on a dry run in the drive way, but it ran the AC on my 30 foot Prowler Regal 5th wheel with no problem. Didn't try with the AC and micro wave at the same time. Refrigerator and water heater were running on propane.

It was quiet compared to my home backup generator and is supposed to be comparable to the Honda inverter gen sets in noise.

We'll know more after next week as we'll be in Evansville for the NCOWS nationals.

Regards

JW

With all the 68 db Champion 4000 gen sets being sold by all the sporting goods outlets plus Costco, Walmart, etc. you should have a fun time policing your 65 db requirement. Bring a noise level meter. You should rest easy after quiet time.

So is the Champion 4000 being used at a lot of campsites without much complaint? I have not heard one of these yet.

Champion 4K review

http://www.bestgasgenerator.com/gas-generators/Champion-4000-watt-gas-generator-review.php

My question, who does the repair when your on the road??

OLG

I would expect anyone that is in the small engine/generator repair service. Hope it is better than Honda repair. Have a 2000 that needed repairs, left it at local Honda dealer and it took two weeks to get it back.

I would expect anyone that is in the small engine/generator repair service. Hope it is better than Honda repair. Have a 2000 that needed repairs, left it at local Honda dealer and it took two weeks to get it back.

Any Honda dealership that sells generators is required by Honda to be a service/repair facility.

2 weeks-what was wrong with it?? What's the whole story here???

2 repair places where I live, will not touch Champion or Generac because they can't get parts in a timely manor. And they are slow to pay on warranty work.

OLG

Any Honda dealership that sells generators is required by Honda to be a service/repair facility.

2 weeks-what was wrong with it?? What's the whole story here???

2 repair places where I live, will not touch Champion or Generac because they can't get parts in a timely manor. And they are slow to pay on warranty work.

OLG

If you can not get your Champion repaired then junk it and buy another. You can do that 3 or 4 times for the price of a Honda.

You do get what you pay for- <_<

So-----What was wrong with the Honda :huh:

OLG

In the end they guessed it was a float in the carb that would stick occasionally when the load changed. Finally fixed it by replacing the carb which they should have done originally, as that is what I told them it was, but no they kept adding hours to my bill. Turns out they did not have a carb in stock and after a week or more ordered one for it.

Who said anything about policing the camp ground?

All I know is noisy generators in the middle of the night sometimes mysteriously quit running

and wont restart no matter what you do,,...,, just sayin'.......

In the end they guessed it was a float in the carb that would stick occasionally when the load changed. Finally fixed it by replacing the carb which they should have done originally, as that is what I told them it was, but no they kept adding hours to my bill. Turns out they did not have a carb in stock and after a week or more ordered one for it.

What would the Honda do?

Engine surge or did you have to run it with the choke partially on??

LG

I drove almost a thousand miles to camp in a remote camping area in Ontario 50 miles from the nearest city. Didn't some rectal orifice set up camp 100 feet from me, pull out a generator and set it up within 25 feet of out tents. It was obvious he and his family were trying to drive us out, he claimed he needed to charge his "Delco's" for his camper and wouldn't move it. It ran every night and when they were fishing. When we left 3 days later while they were out fishing somehow the oil drain plug mysteriously vibrated loose and left a large puddle in the sand and a sized up engine. I think the prop nut on their motor might also have been pretty loose, I hope they had a spare prop. Oh Well

I'm getting pretty worried about folks and some of these comments about destroying other peoples property. It's disgusting. It upsets me a "cowboy" would say these things.

This crazy logic would condon anti-gunners destroying a trap house, range tables, ect. Because they don't like the noise.

I've heard every excuse for committing a crime, but never any of worth. This topic is getting side tracked from new campers like me trying find a good value and friendly generator.

When you can afford one vacation a year and some inconsiderate fool ruins it to the point you are forced to leave days early, you do what you need to do, you can only be reasonable for so long.

I'm getting pretty worried about folks and some of these comments about destroying other peoples property. It's disgusting. It upsets me a "cowboy" would say these things.

This crazy logic would condon anti-gunners destroying a trap house, range tables, ect. Because they don't like the noise.

I've heard every excuse for committing a crime, but never any of worth. This topic is getting side tracked from new campers like me trying find a good value and friendly generator.

X-infinity :excl:

Some folks should really know better, be'n that they were an LEO :rolleyes:

Carry on,

OLG

I'd like to get back on topic about the Champion 4000. Has anyone heard it at a campground? Was it too loud?

I have-To me, yes it was loud under load. Not at idle-It seem'd to echo among the other RV's. There could have been something wrong with it also as it didn't look well cared for. Maybe it was from a job site etc.

Much louder than my 2/2K Honda's.

OLG

I drove almost a thousand miles to camp in a remote camping area in Ontario 50 miles from the nearest city. Didn't some rectal orifice set up camp 100 feet from me, pull out a generator and set it up within 25 feet of out tents. It was obvious he and his family were trying to drive us out, he claimed he needed to charge his "Delco's" for his camper and wouldn't move it. It ran every night and when they were fishing. When we left 3 days later while they were out fishing somehow the oil drain plug mysteriously vibrated loose and left a large puddle in the sand and a sized up engine. I think the prop nut on their motor might also have been pretty loose, I hope they had a spare prop. Oh Well

Maybe someone can contact him and he can collect for the damages to his gen set and outboard. Hope no one was killed when he lost his prop.

What would the Honda do?

Engine surge or did you have to run it with the choke partially on??

LG

As the load increased it would die after a minute or so. Why in hell are you trying to diagnose a long ago gen set issue anyay? It is clear you love Hondas. Many can not afford them.

Archived