SASS Wire Forum

Generator suggestion...Aside from Honda or Yamaha

Aside from Honda or Yamaha what other generators might you suggest that would be capable of running the A/C and providing power for my camper. I understand anything else might not be quite as quiet...but I do not want to spend the $$$$ for what the Honda or Yamaha would cost. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hochbauer

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw one at costco that would be quiet and much cheaper, can't remember the brand or the actual decibel number, but I was impressed...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623983_200623983

Just went through all this a month or so ago.

Looked at the above.

But you would still need two to run the AC.

We still ended up going Honda.

You can get a bigger one and just have one. BUT.

We had a hard time finding one that would run the AC and still not

take two people to load and unload. Let alone finding a place to haul it.

So we ended up with the two that you put together.

Then when you don't need the AC. You only have to run one.

We also got the extended tank that hooks to both.

That worked great. Ran both all night.

When you look for a cheap generator that is what you get, a cheap generator. A cheap generator means NOISE. A lot of generators will do the job and run your AC. However, if you buy a cheap one please have some consideration for your fellow campers and park where the noise won't bother everyone.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100121916.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-CategoryTopProducts&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|Cat

the one at costco,,,, $599, 2000 w, yes you would need two, like the Honda but cheaper, Yamaho engine

When you look for a cheap generator that is what you get, a cheap generator. A cheap generator means NOISE. A lot of generators will do the job and run your AC. However, if you buy a cheap one please have some consideration for your fellow campers and park where the noise won't bother everyone.

+1

Remember. The quite ones are not just for YOU. They are also for everyone else camped around you.

Experienced this with my old trailer. Got a 5500 Watt generator to run the AC in 2001 from a pawn shop. Lucked into it, as it was brand new that someone purchased for the projected failures of the new century. It was a GERERAC and cost 900 at Home depot but I paid 450 dollars for it still in box with the oil in the jug as it was never used. It was loud for the people outside, but not for me in the trailer with the AC running. It was huge, two person lift on to the bumper buddy on the back of the trailer. My Dad who was a mechanic put a bigger muffler on it and quieted it down to stop people from complaining. Might be an option if you get a loud one to see the compatability of a larger muffler.

Aside from Honda or Yamaha what other generators might you suggest that would be capable of running the A/C and providing power for my camper. I understand anything else might not be quite as quiet...but I do not want to spend the $$$$ for what the Honda or Yamaha would cost. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hochbauer

Get a Champion. I was a lucky duck that bought one from Costco. It was 9KW and can power my whole house. It was on sale at Costco for $400. A week later I found there was a recall on the carb. Immediately, I got a new carb in the overnight mail, installed it in 15 minutes. They also sent a nice water proof cover. They have some nice 3-4KW units that are not too heavy. Costco has them and other sporting goods stores carry them, normally one has them on sale, ie Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro, Camping World, etc.

I have a Hyundi Inverter Generator that is Quieter than the same size Honda , and when they first hit the market they cost 1/4 as much as a Honda ... They are now still less the 1/2 the price of a Honda...

Mine is a 2,300 Watt.

Jabez Cowboy

I have a 4 KW Champion that I bought from Cabelas last November. It has Cabelas name on it and is camo. It also has a remote start from a key fob. Cost me less than $400 and I got free shipping. Been using it at several shoots on my travel trailer. Not really any louder than any of the other generators. I love the remote start as I can start or stop it from inside the trailer without going outside. I leave it in the bed of my truck when we travel with the trailer and it is great. This is about as small as you can get that will run the A/C and most everything else.

Did the same, looked and checked out all the options. Ended up saving alittle longer and going with the Honda's (2).part of the reason besides noise weight etc is service and parts. Depending on where you are getting parts or service for some of these other brands can be difficult. Honda parts and service is easy to get. If you are out camping a get an issue the last thing you want is spending time trying to find help or end up spending another 400.00 to 500.00 to get an off brand working genator.

Thank goodness there banned at the campground I frequent. Nothing like going camping and being surrounded by noisy rude people with generators. You might not hear it in your camper but your neighbors sure do

Thank goodness there banned at the campground I frequent. Nothing like going camping and being surrounded by noisy rude people with generators. You might not hear it in your camper but your neighbors sure do

I take it you have never dry camped at a cowboy match.

You go there knowing what it is. And that they will be used.

If you want no noise. Pony up for a hook up down the road. As not a lot

or cowboy ranges have hookups.

And many or the cowboy ranges have a 10pm cut off. I know EOT does.

If the cowboy range has hookups. We normally go ahead and get those.

But many cowboy ranges just don't have them.

So you are welcome to NOT camp there.

Look at a Kipor. I have one comparable to the Honda 3000. It works great for running my 30' camper. You will need a different jet for high altitude like at EOT but it's never let me down in AR and TX. Electric start quiet run key start. Very close to a Honda and it was $1200 shipped to my door. Look at them and reviews on Amazon.com

DC

You might be surprised at how many people like to run their generators until the early morning hours at EOT. It got so bad at a couple of locations in the general camping area that I moved clear up on row 13 so that I could get to bed early and get up to the gate at 6:00 in the morning. There is one vendor at EOT that told me one time, when I complained a couple of years ago, that he bought the loudest generator that he could find because he likes to pi$$ people off. Yes he is a vendor and he had the same noisy generator last year. He hauls it around in an enclosed trailer and opens the rear doors that point away from his RV and lets it run until late at night. He can't hear it but everyone around him can. He's a silversmith in case you're interested.

To bad you are not closer to me.

I would let you have this 5400 watt that looks and runs great for a few hundred bucks.

Just takes two people to load.

And we did not have a place to haul it. As the back of the truck is always full of vendor stuff.

+10

You might be surprised at how many people like to run their generators until the early morning hours at EOT. It got so bad at a couple of locations in the general camping area that I moved clear up on row 13 so that I could get to bed early and get up to the gate at 6:00 in the morning. There is one vendor at EOT that told me one time, when I complained a couple of years ago, that he bought the loudest generator that he could find because he likes to pi$$ people off. Yes he is a vendor and he had the same noisy generator last year. He hauls it around in an enclosed trailer and opens the rear doors that point away from his RV and lets it run until late at night. He can't hear it but everyone around him can. He's a silversmith in case you're interested.

Dang. I was told 10pm cut off.

And that's what we did. Everyone around us did also.

They should send someone to have a talk with him.

There is one vendor at EOT that told me one time, when I complained a couple of years ago, that he bought the loudest generator that he could find because he likes to pi$$ people off. Yes he is a vendor and he had the same noisy generator last year. He hauls it around in an enclosed trailer and opens the rear doors that point away from his RV and lets it run until late at night.

Seems like a length of chain and a padlock would fix that. Chain the door shut to muffle the noise until the generator expires.

Four years ago someone put diesel in the gas tank to shut it up and he went out and bought an even louder one, real jewel of a guy. I nearly came to blows with him three years ago when he parked right next to my camp and wouldn't shut his generator off at 10:00. We moved camp the next morning up to row 13. For some strange reason he gets a pass from the SASS folks, can't figure it out.

It's hard to enjoy great fellowship around a campfire with a dozen noisy generators running and drowning out the conversation and atmosphere

I have a 4 KW Champion that I bought from Cabelas last November. It has Cabelas name on it and is camo. It also has a remote start from a key fob. Cost me less than $400 and I got free shipping. Been using it at several shoots on my travel trailer. Not really any louder than any of the other generators. I love the remote start as I can start or stop it from inside the trailer without going outside. I leave it in the bed of my truck when we travel with the trailer and it is great. This is about as small as you can get that will run the A/C and most everything else.

I got one of these, a 4400 from from Tractor Supply, not only works for the camper, but ran the freezers & furnace when we had a power out. I have a 3200 in another brand but just wasn't enough to run the camper properly. As for noise, it really isn't as loud as some of the others where we have camped near. Also, as Big Sage said it was under $400 and the wheel kit and cover help a lot as well.

Charlie

It's hard to enjoy great fellowship around a campfire with a dozen noisy generators running and drowning out the conversation and atmosphere

I agree.

But I seldom see a campfire at the dry camping at a cowboy match.

(shame. Wish it happened more)

In years of camping at cowboy matches. Could count it on one hand.

And when it did happened. Everyone shut them off. So it was a non issue.

Most times. Everyone just heads inside to get the AC turned on.

As it is normally 100 outside.

Sitting around a fire is not happening.

been a lot of talk on rv websites about champion 2000watt invertor generators, pretty quiet about 50 lbs and can be found under &500. 2 can be connected together to run a/c. advantage is one man can comfortably handle one and if one dies you still have one to run essentials. been trying to talk myself into one GW

+1,

They sure are annoying! And when you're trying to sleep, they're beyond annoying!

I got one of these, a 4400 from from Tractor Supply, not only works for the camper, but ran the freezers & furnace when we had a power out. I have a 3200 in another brand but just wasn't enough to run the camper properly. As for noise, it really isn't as loud as some of the others where we have camped near. Also, as Big Sage said it was under $400 and the wheel kit and cover help a lot as well.

Charlie

Mine came with a wheel kit, but no cover.

As a professional generator technician, I have been involved in these discussions way too many times.

The only advice I will offer is before you buy any generator, ask who will do warranty work in your area. Honda is the only brand I know of that requires their dealers to also offer warranty repair. That's why you won't see them at Costco, ever.

Fillmore

Anyone running the Ryobi's

I am and they are as quiet as the Honda and 1/2 the price. Only problem is the cord that ties them together is only available on line. I had one running outside my camper and the guy beside me started his honda 2000 and I could no longer hear mine run.

I got mine on sale from camping world. When I first looked at it it appear like the rest of the gensets sold around . I figure it would be loud which it's not as quite as the Honda but not far from it. I leave it in the back of my truck start it there and the neighbors never complain where as I've had one of the Honda type with the exhaust pointed at my bedroom door and it drove me crazy with the exhaust pounding on the door. Said something the next morning. So I had an old genset that the wild bunch up at the ranch house heard and were distributed by from my rig all the way across and up the hill in the EOT camping rows. So everyone love this compared to the first one.

Archived