SASS Wire Forum

1911 magazines

Billy the Avenger

What ones to buy

OK ok ok I know this is not the wild bunch wire but more look at this then the other

I have Tripp inserts in all my mags

The all feed great but sometimes they do not slide out when ejected

The outer part of the magazine keep sticking

I have thought about chips or wilson

Or Tripp magazines

I have heard bad reviews about all but tripp

So has anyone used them and had no problems or have a fix for my problem

Billy the Avenger

The Tripp magazines are by far the best. They work flawlessly in all my 6 Wild Bunch 1911's . I sell lots these mag to the shooters. As you know the tripp mags are not cheap. The other magazines you mentioned are good mags also. I would check the inside of your 1911 for any burs or grip screws that might be to long. Your Magazine release button can also cause problems not allowing the mag to release when the button is pushed. Your mag itself can be out of shape slightly preventing it from falling out easy.

When I do an action on the WB 1911 for my customers, mag fitting is included in the action job. I have jigs to reform the lips on the mag and jigs to reform the body of the magazines. Sometimes they are beyond repair and need to be discarded.

Thanks doc I hope no rain this Saturday and that you will be in Litchfield

Goatneck I have tried to reform the magazines they work for sometime then keep sticking

The gun is not the problem

I just need to stop being a tight a$$ and buy all tripp magazines

Thanks for everyone's info

Billy the Avenger

Dragging mags are often due to grip screw tips sticking into the mag well, or a distorted mag body. But, can also be because the trigger stirrup is bent in too tight and sticking into the mag well. Or frame has been crushed in when holding it in a vise. Or mag catch not getting out of the way. Or burrs. All as GC said above.

Sticking in the first third of the way out - I'd check upper grip screws and mag catch. Sticking on the last little bit of the fall, I'd check for a deformed mag body. Sticking all the way out - lower grip screws or a collapsed frame. The frame can sometime be corrected by careful filing, if it's only interfering a thousandth or two.

Look at the mags. Scratches and wear patterns will usually tell you where the problems lie. If you find some that stick and some fall free, take a vernier caliper to them and find the fat spots. I can usually gently ease them back down to the size needed to fall free with brass jaws in a vise. The standard thickness of a 1911 mag is .540" to .543". As shown on page 154 of Kuhnausen's Colt .45 Automatic - A Shop Manual....the bible of .45 gunsmiths. Standard front to back measurement would be 1.365" measured square with the front and back surface. These should be consistent all the way up and down the body. Dents and bulges are bad news - dents for feeding problems and bulges that cause sticky mags in the mag well.

Some are just not worth messing much with. If you have mag bodies other than:

Tripps

Chip McCormick

Wilson

Colt

I would scrap them at this point and start with better bodies. Or, to quote Kuhnhausen, "Avoiding the cheaper substitutes will save money in the long run."

I too run a lot of Tripp guts in McCormick bodies, but the all-Tripp-stainless are what I use in a big match.

Good luck, GJ

OK ok ok I know this is not the wild bunch wire but more look at this then the other

Kinda sounds like the punchline about why the drunk was looking for his car keys under the streetlight. Well, he says, I think I dropped them over there where it's dark, but I might as well look here because the light's better.

Good luck, and hope you find your mags. GJ

Howdy,

I have shot a lot of 1911s but not wild bunch.

Real colt mags that are bought NEW work well.

Wilson combat insides also work well.

I avoid all cheep furrin stuff like the plague.

Good luck. I have no experience with the tripp ones.

Best

CR

I run new Colt magazines with original guts in them. They were designed to run what most of us run in Wild Bunch, a 230 round nosed bullet. And they are surprisingly inexpensive. My next favorite, at this time , are the Brownell's brand. They are stainless with a very slick coating on them.

I also tried the Tripp part in other mags and some of them would stick, but would

drop with the original springs in it seems the Tripp is too strong and swells the

mag good for practice but I use Tripp mags for real.

Silvertip

I've never used Tripp Mags. Never seen them for sale.

However, I've used Wilson Combat mags a lot. I think they are the best. Some of my 1911's like OEM mags, some will shoot any mags but all my 1911's shoot Wilson mags no problem.

I had a buddy at the range several years back who was having trouble with FTF and stove piping with his 1911. I handed him a Wilson Combat mag and said try this. No more problems.

YMMV. Hope that helps,

Billy,

I've only tried Chip McCormick and WIlson Combat.

I didn't like the CM much at all in my Kimbers.

BUT, I REALLY liked the Wilson Combat in those same Kimbers and Springfields.

..........Widder

"I've never used....A"

"But I think B is the best"

How about not declaring anything "best" until you have tried them all.

And, for Wild Bunch, most Wilsons are out because of base pads.

Good luck, GJ

I have, GJ. and Colt's work best in every gun I've ever tired them in. Wilsons, Tripps, McCormicks, Meg-Gars, Eagles, Randalls, Kimbers, GIs. And at roughly $22-24 from Midway or Brownells, they aren't that expensive.

I have, GJ. and Colt's work best in every gun I've ever tired them in. Wilsons, Tripps, McCormicks, Meg-Gars, Eagles, Randalls, Kimbers, GIs. And at roughly $22-24 from Midway or Brownells, they aren't that expensive.

And Colt's I find to be the second best of what I have tried. See my short list earlier.

Remember that some folks have different criteria for what they need a magazine to do. Folks who always shoot a 230 grain round nose, can find happiness in many different mags. Folks shooting other loads often find the "hybrid" lip design like the Colt and Tripp is a little more reliable across the board of self-defense, target, service and all the other variations of loads.

Here's one interesting test:

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/read-my-lips.html

And another discussion:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?9178-Controlled-Feed-Principles

What's this all get to? As in most things SASS (and in most things about guns), there is theory and then there is what YOUR gun and YOUR ammo will do. Sometimes there is a ton of difference between that theory and practice. (Some of that difference I believe is why gunsmiths sometimes can't guarantee the length of time it will take them to work on a competitive-grade pistol to meet a particular reliability or accuracy goal).

I'm all for using as economical a mag as I can, that still meets my needs.

Guess I am just a needy person. :lol::D

Good luck, GJ

I've run Chip McCormicks (McCormicks were what came from the Colt Factory in my custom shop gun) for years and have no issues at all with them so I've had no need to seek out others although it would be Tripps if I did.

Archived