SASS Wire Forum

Dark Day on the Santa Fe - Was a great match!

The Florida State BP match......Wow!!!!! What a fun day of shooting that foul stinky smokey stuff!

Thanks to everyone that helped put this match on yesterday.

8 stages that had a variety of challenges with varying target distances and plenty of movement laterally and down range. I don't shoot BP much so I can safely say that this was the first time I shot a claybird with BP.

Our Posse was fun and I really enjoyed shooting with them.....we had a nice mix of Fl and Ga plus a Krazy Kajun!

Congrats to Delta Glen for being the King of Kaboom!

Congrats to Confederate Colt and his crew for putting on an awesome match!

I can't wait for next year!

Stan

+1 for Stan. Everything was great, food awards and the welcome feeling from Colt and all his staff. Congrats to Fast Eddie on the overall. Till next year

Thanks for a wonderful weekend

McKenzie

Thanks to Confedrate Colt and crew.

You folks put on an awesome match.

Colt has got a perpetual smile on his face. Must be something in the BP.

I accomplished one of my Outlaw goals: Shooting down a flying clay bird from the hip. :blush:

Too bad I couldn't see it with all the smoke. :lol:

Spotters and TO just yelled "Go, you killed it".

Again, BIG THANKS for a GREAT match.

Even got to meet another Outlaw from the FL Panhandle, Mean Bob Mean.

Shoots his rifle from the HIP. :blink:

Now I got another Outlaw Goal. Thanks, MBM.

I also got to meet Wire Pard, Dogmeat Dad. I have to say, I get the Dad part but I saw no resemblence to Dogmeat whatsoever. :lol:

Proud to have met you DMD. Hope you get down this way again soon.

Waimea (first time shooting a whole BP :ph34r: match)

It amazes me at how hard the the people work to provide the shooters with such great entertainment.

THANK YOU!

I'd agree with Santa Fe River Stan, there was plenty of movement, varying target placement and sequences and shooting a clay bird with BP is just fun. I've never shot at Fort White....what a cool range that was.

We had a fun posse, it was good to shoot with SRS and Delta Glen, haven't done that before. Occasionally that little film maker Gin showed up with her video camera, Lord knows what the "tale of the tape" will show! She publishes such great videos with all her work, I'm looking forward to see what she does with this match.

Waimea, ya earned respect camping out...you da man. I swear I heard Waimea's teeth chattering all the way from my hotel room in Alachua....that outlaw is just plain nuts.

I saw lots of smiles on lots of faces during this match....that's always a good sign. And a big yeehaw for the announcement that the Southeast Regional BP match will be held there.

To Confederate Colt and all of the folks who put on the match, ya'll hit a home run. Just an outstanding event and a really fun time.

Salute,

Kajun

Hats off to Colt & everyone involved, a great match! I want to know how he arranged the perfect weather too. Couldn't have been better or had more fun.

Holler

WHAT A GREAT MATCH, COLT!!!!!!! I even broke a whole clay bird-unlike some who paid extra for a prebroken one! :D

Any of y'all that missed this match darn sure missed a good one. And Posse 5 ROCKED!

My only complaint was them evil, no good, conniving, back shootin' spotters that saw the only miss I had-and called it.

But, I looked good while I was missing.

Congrats to all the winners-and all who helped put on a great show.

What a GREAT match!!! It was even better than I expected! Already looking forward to next years match. Me and the Jap-chester shot pretty well. ;) The only complaint that I have is that it was over so fast! :( Colt and company did FANTASIC job. Thanks pard for all the hard work!

Cheatin'

For those curiousity seekers regarding the TENT. Here is a self portrait I call "Outlaw with Tent".

img_tent.jpg

Yes, it was cold.

Nothing that made extremities more likely to drop off than they already were. :P:lol:

Waimea (Extreme Cold Outlaw)

:FlagAm:

The Florida State BP match......Wow!!!!! What a fun day of shooting that foul stinky smokey stuff!

Thanks to everyone that helped put this match on yesterday.

8 stages that had a variety of challenges with varying target distances and plenty of movement laterally and down range. I don't shoot BP much so I can safely say that this was the first time I shot a claybird with BP.

Our Posse was fun and I really enjoyed shooting with them.....we had a nice mix of Fl and Ga plus a Krazy Kajun!

Congrats to Delta Glen for being the King of Kaboom!

Congrats to Confederate Colt and his crew for putting on an awesome match!

I can't wait for next year!

Stan

A big +1 on what Stan said.

Congratulations to all the category winners.

This match not only felt like a big time event, it was run like a big time event. The shooter's packet, snack bag, awards,

and the food were all first class.

A few things I learned as a first time BP shooter:

1. The guns get sticky in a hurry. Ballistol is essential to keeping them running.

2. Full power .44 Mag BP rounds create noticeable recoil and copious amounts of smoke.

3. My double-barrel skills are sorely lacking.

4. Do not take a deep breath while running through your own smoke cloud.

5. Washing out the BP residue (and most of the carbon buildup) with soap and water really does work and is much easier than I expected.

6. BP regulars are super encouraging and helpful with a new dark-sider.

Again, hats off to Confederate Colt and his gang for a really fun time!

It was a great time - full-loaded 45s create a lot of recoil and smoke (like Delta Glen's 44s)

I must have missed something in the translation - took me a long time to get my double-barrel clean after the match.

I'm sure i got instructions from some regular dark-siders, but must have miss-translated it.

:(

It was a great time - full-loaded 45s create a lot of recoil and smoke (like Delta Glen's 44s)

I must have missed something in the translation - took me a long time to get my double-barrel clean after the match.

I'm sure i got instructions from some regular dark-siders, but must have miss-translated it.

:(

BB

At least you split your SG shots between 2 barrels.

I'm surprised that any shot was coming out of my '97 by the end of the day. :o

I gotta learn to swab the barrel every other stage or so.

Waimea

Thank you to all for the kind words!! We have stived hard to make sure the shooters gets their moneys worth and then some. Next year we are looking to host the Southeastern Territorial, but will not find out for sure until the beginning of April. We will keep you posted of the outcome.

BB

At least you split your SG shots between 2 barrels.

I'm surprised that any shot was coming out of my '97 by the end of the day. :o

I gotta learn to swab the barrel every other stage or so.

Waimea

No swabs, just a squirt of Windex with vinegar.

At end of day use PAM, equal parts of hydrogen peroxide, 91% rubbing alcohol! and Murphy's Oil.

Spray in both ends of barrels, wait 15 minutes and push a tight fitting patch from breech to muzzle.

If'n you shot plastic wads, a long string of black snot is pushed out. Hint, do that step over a trash can.

A second dry patch and your DONE with cleaning.

Bore Butter the barrel and have a Brewsky!

AR

No swabs, just a squirt of Windex with vinegar.

At end of day use PAM, equal parts of hydrogen peroxide, 91% rubbing alcohol! and Murphy's Oil.

Spray in both ends of barrels, wait 15 minutes and push a tight fitting patch from breech to muzzle.

If'n you shot plastic wads, a long string of black snot is pushed out. Hint, do that step over a trash can.

A second dry patch and your DONE with cleaning.

Bore Butter the barrel and have a Brewsky!

AR

I should have asked before scrubbing the snot outta the SG barrel.

Looks like a mirror now though and I did put Bore Butter on all the guns after I was done cleaning them.

Thanks for providing the ammo.

Even though the one open top was stubborn and uncooperative, I had a great time. :)

Waimea

I ran across this cool picture of Hollifer A Dollar shooting his shotgun....check out the ball of fire coming out the end. He had already fired his shotgun 5 times....4 knockdown targets and the popper...this is a shot at the orange skeet which you can see. Looks like the barrels are glowing hot. Thanks again to Hawkeye Gin and friends for taking such great pics.

F41A2E68-38BF-4349-9022-7D8334BBED75.jpg

I ran across this cool picture of Hollifer A Dollar shooting his shotgun....check out the ball of fire coming out the end. He had already fired his shotgun 5 times....4 knockdown targets and the popper...this is a shot at the orange skeet which you can see. Looks like the barrels are glowing hot. Thanks again to Hawkeye Gin and friends for taking such great pics.

F41A2E68-38BF-4349-9022-7D8334BBED75.jpg

For the record, I did hit the clay bird!

Holler

How could you tell with all the flame and smoke? :D The spotters must have had to yell at you that you hit it! Man did we have a BLAST at this match. I would really like to see it become the Territorial next year! :D

Cheatin'

How could you tell with all the flame and smoke? :D The spotters must have had to yell at you that you hit it! Man did we have a BLAST at this match. I would really like to see it become the Territorial next year! :D

Cheatin'

Instant replay of course! When shooting, I thought I got lucky because the bird broke when flung from the flinger. Watching the video later, I somehow managed to pulverize one of the pieces. That in itself is a miracle, because I can miss flying targets easier than I miss stationary ones.

Holler

Whew! Just got home last night and back to some decent internet!

What A Match! Despite all of the flailing, travel troubles, delayed flights (Lil landed at 2:00am), lack of sleep (3 1/2 hours), etc, it was a FANTASTIC MATCH! For those hearty souls so inclined, you can read about our adventures here! (http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232905&hl=%2Bdark+%2Bday)

Despite all of that, the Match was incredible. This was our first match at Fort White and I can assure you it won't be our last. The range was nestled in a little valley in Florida (Heck Yeah, a Valley, In Florida, Who Knew! :P ). The Cowboy Town was incredible, the props were fantastic, and stages were fun, challenging, and well written. Just the right balance of movement and shooters choice on the stages too. There is no doubt, hands down, this is one of the top 10 best matches I have ever attended!

Thanks to all of those that put so much of themselves into making this such a fantastic match and welcoming us to your home. I know a lot of folks poured their heart and souls into making this what it was and from a couple of folks coming from way up north, through Snow, Sleet, Ice, Rain, long drives, and delayed flights, it was worth every minute.

A big Thank You to all the Posse Leaders for their efforts keeping us all in line. Thanks also to the Lunch Crew, the food was great! Thanks to those who spent their time stuffing packets, and snack bags, and setting steel, dealing with parking, and to Delta Glen for driving the Tractor up and down the hill, everyone was great! I look forward to seeing some of Hawkeye Gin photos and videos of the match!

To Wiamea: It was a pleasure actually meeting you after all the wire joshing about cold weather, ice & snow, and camping in the cold. Somehow though, I thought you would have been hairier!

abominable-smowman.jpg

To Bonfire: Those loads you were shooting rattled the fillings in MY TEETH! They were impressive! (P.S. the cookies were awsome too (Just don't tell my wife! :P )

cookie-monster.jpg

To all the winners, Congratulations! Well deserved, each and every one! I still have no idea how Santa Fe River Stan can shoot that fast through the smoke. Must be those X-Ray Vision Shooting Glasses he got from the back of the comic book!

Finally, a special THANK YOU to Confederate Colt and his lovely wife for all of their hard work. A match reflects not just the hard work of the folks who donate their time, but also the Match Director and their love of the game. There is no doubt in my mind how much you love this game. You made it a pleasure to be there! THANK YOU!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived