SASS Wire Forum

Cooling vests and/or rigs for Summer shooting

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

Now that the NE is 7 feet deep in snow I am looking ahead to when the temp is 100º with humidity to match. Think Texas in the summertime (for those of you who have never been to The Republic, think hell)

I'm old and have a bit of diabetes (that's like being a bit pregnant) and have had conversations with Cat on the requirements for cowboy dress though we have a policy in the warmest summer months of modifying the dress code a bit...but that's another story.

So, all this to ask: is there a cooling system out there that could help out this old timer? Either something I could wear all the time or something I could take off when it's my turn to shoot. Thinking a vest system might be what I'm looking for but not sure. Should be able to last for 4 hours (length of our matches)

I know about special bandanas and soaking stuff and letting them evaporate on you drawing the heat out but I'm past that. Got bunches of The Cooler Cowboy Shirts and while all that stuff helps it doesn't help enough.

I can find stuff on the internet but trying not to spend what it would cost for a pair of Rugers.

Yes, I could pass on summer months but the purpose of this is to ask about cooling vests and the like.

Thanking you for your thoughts on this,

cr

I'm not sure what the first link was to above the second is similar to a couple of towels I bought from lowes or Home Depot. You soak them in cold water I use ice water let them soak for a few minutes , ring it out and staples it to activate it says they do ok in dry times like EOT you might need to soak ever couple of hours I have two that I rotate in my cole at these shoots,

I also have two of the cooler cowboy shirts that are advertised in the chronical. They're a knit and I'm not fond of knits other than that they breathe a lot better than the cotton shirts and a heck of more than the canvas ones or the leather shirts that I've worn. Here are the other faults I find with them, the permant collar I'd prefer a band collar and if I want a fancy or larger collar I'll buy one. The wrist are not button thet have from what I recall a wide band at the wrists, no way to roll up your sleaves if you got arms. It has a four button neck and they seem to be long enough so they don't pop out of the pants everytime you bend over.

The towels I'll give a 8/10 because you have to wet them and pull and snap it to get te cooling after thfe water evaporates.

The shirts I'll give a 6.5/10 because of the collar and cuffs plus the material.

But I've not found anything better. Now if you could get power on the stage I have a great idea for a relaxing core temp reducer. Need a waterproof thin tough fabric, run some large surgical tubing in a zig zag pattern thru the frame ric the pump ice water thru it in a closed system type loop. It would take a few minutes to lower your core temp and some might have I'll effects if they can't take it so it would be a case by case bases if you can use it but cost and power on the range is the major setbacks.

Being in the same boat as you (diabetes and Texas) I have thought about this as well. My meds all come mail order, packed with those 'Blue Ice' sort of bags to stay cool. I have thought about getting a vest a size larger and putting a couple of inside pockets on each side. Then slip in 4 of those bags and freeze myself in the Texas sun.

When I was riding motorcycle I bought a vest that worked on the principle of evaporation. You soaked it in water and as the water evaporated it really cooled you off. I don't know what it was made

of but it soaked up a lot of water and worked for about 3 hours on the bike. Now I don't know how something like that would work without the airflow when you are just standing around. Some

people have zip lock bags of ice on their head under their hat when they weren't shooting you might try that.

I looked in to this when I was racing and had to wear a nomex suit. There are a number of vests you can get with pockets that hold cool packs. I never invested in one so I don't have first hand knowledge but a quick google search came up with a number of companies selling them. A thin one to under your cowboy outfit would be what we're looking for.

http://texascoolvest.com/

Cheyenne,

I did a lot of research on this subject several years ago for our guys in the shop and discovered a company called Kool vest. They are basically the same as the Texas cool vest from what I see. This type product really works and lasts about 4 hours. All you have to do to recharge them is put them in ice water for 15 minutes. They are not cold like an ice pack. They are cool and lowers your core temperature. Stay away from those wet rags you put around your neck as they can do more harm than good. They fool your brain into thinking you are cool while your core temperature keeps climbing. This can lead to a heat stroke. We have used these vests for 5 years now and they still work just like new. They are pricey but you can use them for outdoor chores like cutting grass as well. I love mine and would highly recommend them no matter where who you buy it from.

I'm not sure what the first link was to above the second is similar to a couple of towels I bought from lowes or Home Depot. You soak them in cold water I use ice water let them soak for a few minutes , ring it out and staples it to activate it says they do ok in dry times like EOT you might need to soak ever couple of hours I have two that I rotate in my cole at these shoots,

I also have two of the cooler cowboy shirts that are advertised in the chronical. They're a knit and I'm not fond of knits other than that they breathe a lot better than the cotton shirts and a heck of more than the canvas ones or the leather shirts that I've worn. Here are the other faults I find with them, the permant collar I'd prefer a band collar and if I want a fancy or larger collar I'll buy one. The wrist are not button thet have from what I recall a wide band at the wrists, no way to roll up your sleaves if you got arms. It has a four button neck and they seem to be long enough so they don't pop out of the pants everytime you bend over.

The towels I'll give a 8/10 because you have to wet them and pull and snap it to get te cooling after thfe water evaporates.

The shirts I'll give a 6.5/10 because of the collar and cuffs plus the material.

But I've not found anything better. Now if you could get power on the stage I have a great idea for a relaxing core temp reducer. Need a waterproof thin tough fabric, run some large surgical tubing in a zig zag pattern thru the frame ric the pump ice water thru it in a closed system type loop. It would take a few minutes to lower your core temp and some might have I'll effects if they can't take it so it would be a case by case bases if you can use it but cost and power on the range is the major setbacks.

Will not help the OP but BC you might take a look at the Armachillo shirts sold by Duluth Trading Co.

Similar to the J Hornady dry shirts but seem to me to be made of a different material. Here is a link to the page. I have one of the Armachillo shirts for summer and a couple of their waffle thermals for cold weather. Be sure to use their fit charts. Shirts fit nice with plenty of room for easy arm movement and they have long tails so they stay tucked in.

Turns out Texas Cool Vest is about 25 miles down the road so sent them an email asking if I can come visit.

Got a light weight shirt like Duluth's sells--better than cowboy shirt but when there is no wind doesn't really help all that much.

http://www.veskimo.c...tem-9quart.html Something along this line in worth looking into. We have power at all our stages so this could be a solution though a bit pricy. Question is what is it worth to me to be able to shoot? Need to do a bit more investigating.

I special ordered a Cooler Cowboy shirt in the pattern of one of their wild rags and had them put regular cuffs on it for the same price. I can roll up sleeves now. They probably could address the collar at the same time. Give Jimmy a call and he'll work with you.

cr

My experience with the vests you soak is they work great in dry heat and when you're moving, OK on dry heat when walking around and not very much at all in any kind of humid heat. I've owned several different ones. I keep an ice chest and swap out a couple of different cool ties in the heat now for SASS.

Ranger,

I know this is not a wearable option, but when I bow hunt in October out of an enclosed wooden blind, I use a small c-cell battery powered fan to keep me cool. Got mine at Wallyworld. You could put one on your gun cart and between matches you could "chill out".

I'm just say'n!

Tecate

The little musters in dry heat are a help but you need to cool from both the inside and outside. As anyone who knows me knows I sweat in mild temps just as bad in hot temps. I've found a Gatorade every stage in the summer is required in milder temp you can go one every other stage. I use the towels that dry fast and the snap towel in a ice chest rotated as needed on the neck and head.

But you have to hit it from both the inside and out one without the other isn't as good. My last cooler cowboy shirt had a banded coller on it. The are nise as the slightest breeze can be felt.. I made a mistake one year first day I wore pigskin pants and a buckskin shirt was bad the next day I throw on a heavy canvas bib shirt and typical cowboy pants. The shirt made feel like I was in a over and smoldering. It was nice when it came off, iirc I bought a cotton shirt to wear so I could breathe.

I wear the J Hornaday Cooler Cowboy Shirts and I love them. I sweat buckets in the summer and my shirts were always soaked through by Stage 3 and a friends told me about them. I still sweat buckets, but my shirt stays dry because the sweat is wicked away and evaporates as fast as it forms. Do understand that just because you SEEM to be sweating less, you still need to be pushing fluids to stay hydrated!

Let me suggest an alternative. I have employees who support field operations on desert locations in the middle of summer. Workers face heat injuries if they stay out too long and must be monitored and frequently sent to an air conditioned trailer to recover. Heavy equipment operators work in air conditioned cabs. My employees have short duration tasks and simply wait in an air conditioned vehicle for their turn to work. You could do the same at summer CAS matches. The inability to tolerate heat is a handicap and SASS accommodate the needs of handicapped shooters. You could don an ice vest during the short time you were outside.

The one thing you MUST have is a palm hat. NOT STRAW! Palm. Wide brim. The palm is designed to be soaked in water then warn. The water evaporates and cools your head. When it starts to dry just wet it again. T wide shades your head and neck and keeps you cooler. The palm hat was used throughout Texas before the Alamo.

Works great and cheap. Be sure NOT to get one that is sealed. Soak up that water put it on your head and be cooler than to thought you could be.

I wear the J Hornaday Cooler Cowboy Shirts and I love them. I sweat buckets in the summer and my shirts were always soaked through by Stage 3 and a friends told me about them. I still sweat buckets, but my shirt stays dry because the sweat is wicked away and evaporates as fast as it forms. Do understand that just because you SEEM to be sweating less, you still need to be pushing fluids to stay hydrated!

:FlagAm: I will add that I wear these in San Antonio in the summer and they do help a lot. Also the comment on staying hydrated is correct as the shirt's evaporative properties cause you to not realize how much fluid you are losing. Added benefit is that they also work like insulation in winter and help keep you warm (for our one month Texas winter). Some of the shirts now come with the button wrist cuffs and one shirt pocket. Be sure to read the description on the web site for each shirt. Finally, I have found you need to order shirt one size larger than you normally wear to get comfortable fit. I normally wear XL shirts but order these in 2XL. I have five of these shirts and plan to order some more soon,

Ditto on Captain Dan Hamilton - controlling head and back of neck temperature is vitally important and should be priority #1, followed by controlling chest temp. … R

I try and drink a bottle of Gatorade on each stage eat a bite or to for the other minerals and wear either the cooler cowboy shirts or thin white cotton shirts the coole cowboy shirts dry faster than the cotton ones. I'll use microfiber towels for mopping up the sweat as fast as I can and the snap cool towels on my neck and take my hat off as much as I can.

Archived