SASS Wire Forum

Colorado Concealed Carry . . .

Wolfgang, SASS #53480

First off, the headline says Colorado is considering it. That's not exactly correct. Pro marijuana types are pushing it. This is just one more thing the people who voted for legalization did not consider. All the knew was the tax money will go to education. So the tax money goes to programs to educate people to...get this...Not Take Drugs.

An interesting conundrum is the fact that marijuana use is still illegal under Federal law. If you fill out a form 4473 to get a gun truthfully you will be denied. If you lie....oops.

So if by federal law you are disqualified from buying a gun how can the state issue you a ccw permit?

Oh what a tangled web we weave. :rolleyes:

I am NOT NOW NOR HAVE EVER USED pot! There are some people who can benefit from MEDICINAL marijuana for relief of reactions to chemotherapy, etc. (I understand there are chemicals that can be extracted from the plant that produce the medicinal benefits WITHOUT the "high". I have no problem with such use, especially of the non-hi-producing chemicals. Regardless of the "legalization" of pot by Colorado and two other states, the stuff is still illegal by Federal laws! (Several adjacent states are suing Colorado for causing their citizens to have access by crossing the state lines. SCOTUS will probably have to rule on that one.) Therefore, I would agree that it cannot be legal to purchase a firearm, much less obtain a CCW under Colorado law. Wether is should be, is another question. I have no knowledge of how pot use affects judgement, but Colorado already has laws on the books prohibiting driving while high. Libs will try to get the question on the ballot in 2016. Whether they can muster the signatures on the petitions is open to question. Other things to worry about until then. (Yeah, this state/country is really going to pot! :wacko:

Happy New Year, Pards!

I am NOT NOW NOR HAVE EVER USED pot! There are some people who can benefit from MEDICINAL marijuana for relief of reactions to chemotherapy, etc. (I understand there are chemicals that can be extracted from the plant that produce the medicinal benefits WITHOUT the "high". I have no problem with such use, especially of the non-hi-producing chemicals. Regardless of the "legalization" of pot by Colorado and two other states, the stuff is still illegal by Federal laws! (Several adjacent states are suing Colorado for causing their citizens to have access by crossing the state lines. SCOTUS will probably have to rule on that one.) Therefore, I would agree that it cannot be legal to purchase a firearm, much less obtain a CCW under Colorado law. Wether is should be, is another question. I have no knowledge of how pot use affects judgement, but Colorado already has laws on the books prohibiting driving while high. Libs will try to get the question on the ballot in 2016. Whether they can muster the signatures on the petitions is open to question. Other things to worry about until then. (Yeah, this state/country is really going to pot! :wacko:

Happy New Year, Pards!

Some people can not use the extracted chemicals....The original is still the best for some people...

TL

It is a mistake to allow recreational marijuana. We already have one problem with alcohol in our society and now we just introduce another problem. Yippie.

GG

I'm not overly concerned with stoners and guns anymore than I am with drunks and guns. They're usualy their own worst enemy or sometinmes their families. I do find the legality argument very interesting.

First off, the headline says Colorado is considering it. That's not exactly correct. Pro marijuana types are pushing it. This is just one more thing the people who voted for legalization did not consider. All the knew was the tax money will go to education. So the tax money goes to programs to educate people to...get this...Not Take Drugs.

An interesting conundrum is the fact that marijuana use is still illegal under Federal law. If you fill out a form 4473 to get a gun truthfully you will be denied. If you lie....oops.

So if by federal law you are disqualified from buying a gun how can the state issue you a ccw permit?

Oh what a tangled web we weave. :rolleyes:

And lastly, drunk people CANNOT carry a gun in Colorado. Being found in mere possession of a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, concealed or not, cased and locked in the trunk or not, while intoxicated is an offense for which one will get arrested. The charge is known as "Prohibited Use of Weapons."

That article has more trash than a landfill.

It is a mistake to allow recreational marijuana. We already have one problem with alcohol in our society and now we just introduce another problem.

I disagree on two grounds. First that it was a mistake. That point I won't bother arguing. We each have our opinions and I'm not going to change yours.

The second though relates to the second part of your post. Namely "now we just introduce another problem".

Assuming marijuana use is a problem (I won't argue that it ain't), State or even Federal legalization of it hasn't introduced the problem. The problem has been around for over 100 years now and nothing we've done in criminalizing it has succeeded in stopping it or even slowing its growth in any appreciable way. Marijuana was first made illegal at the federal level in 1937. That's 77 years we've been punishing people under federal law for using marijuana, and it hasn't stopped people from using it. So any problems related to marijuana exist simply because marijuana exists, not because of its legality.

By legalizing it they have allowed a lot of people who would have otherwise not tried it to go ahead. And they are having problems with children getting hold of the "edibles", which they never considered. They don't even know the THC content of the commercial brownies and candies yet. Also far from making the street market disappear it seems it's just as bad or worse. They're finding more illegal grow operations than ever before. If you grow it surreptitiously, the state ccan't tax it, your profits grow. And there are still plenty of street sellers because the untaxed weed is a lot cheaper than legal weed.

Those who espouse legalization will always feel that way. No argument I can put forth will sway them. And I weary of the old "everybody does it anyway" and "it'll bring tax money" and "it's no worse than alcohol" arguments.

So what do we legalize? All drugs? Meth? Heroin? I've been told, "Yes, that will eventually cull the herd if we do and the irresponsible types will die out". But I've seen what it does to families.

Bottom line is that legal alcohol is bad enough. Why compound that social problem by adding another to it?

But I suppose there's no getting the genie back in the bottle. People complain we used to be the world leader back in the day. Well we're now a world leader again. And not in a good way. :(

Alcohol is a known quantity with known negative and positive effects. Alcohol is purged by our liver at the average rate of 1oz per hour. Excessive, long term use wreaks havoc on internal organs (liver+). Most states' CCW permits do not allow one to carry and have ANY alcohol in your system, and any intoxication conviction (even when not carrying) results in termination of CCW for life.

The active drug in MJ is THC, which stays in your blood and cells for weeks and is easily measurable at the 2 week mark. I and my co-workers are still randomly drug tested to keep our security clearances and thus our jobs, as it has been for over 35 years.

Several medical studies, finally completed in the last 5-10 years, have shown short and long term negative effects of THC on brain function and IQ, particularly in the area of the brain related to motivation and judgment. The studies indicate the effects are magnified during the developmental period of the brain, but present through the lifetime. I personally witnessed the negative effects of personal and unit performance, and the longer term destruction of careers and families in the Navy in the '70s due to pot.

You may be able to guess my position on this idea...

Several medical studies, finally completed in the last 5-10 years, have shown short and long term negative effects of THC on brain function and IQ, particularly in the area of the brain related to motivation and judgment. The studies indicate the effects are magnified during the developmental period of the brain, but present through the lifetime. I personally witnessed the negative effects of personal and unit performance, and the longer term destruction of careers and families in the Navy in the '70s due to pot.

The pro legalizing people will not believe this statement. all of them think weed is safer then alcohol plus you also hear the statement that nobody has ever died from weed.

My biggest problem is while working that some dumb ass is drunk, stoned or on some meds. that will get me hurt or killed. some will think that because weed is legal now that they can smoke it any time they want, even on the job

Archived