SASS Wire Forum

Smith & Wesson M&P...

I like mine......carry it everyday. It is easily concealed and doesn't print if carried correctly. When checking it out in the store, the trigger pull felt excessive and "crunchy". Bought it anyway.

Shooting it at the range it was strange that the perception of heavy trigger pull and "crunchiness" of the trigger seemed to disappear and didn't enter into my mind after the first few shots. It was surprisingly accurate and fed everything that I threw at it.

It came with 2 mags, 1 - 7 rnd and 1 - 8 rnd. I did have problems with the 7 rounder.....seemed to have a FTF after the third round. Took the gun and mag back to the store, they took it out to their indoor range and shot a box through it......supposedly didn't have a problem. I told them that I had no confidence in that mag......they gave me a new one. Took it out and shot numerous rounds of various types throught it....no problem.

If you can get it for a reasonable price I'd buy it.

YMMV

CS

Edit, I should note that mine is a 9mm. Also never had a problem with the slide serrations or racking a round into the chamber. Another thing, unlike some 9's, I did not find the recoil snappy or a detriment.

Well, I was looking hard for one last year, but at that time the California well was pretty dry for handguns. After weeks of searching for either a Shield, Ruger LC9, LCR, PPK, or anything in that class I finally settled for a Ruger LC380. Not my first choice by any means, but literally the only thing available. And to be honest, I'm pretty pleased with it.

However... last July Sassparilla Kid bought one - a .40 "Short & Wimpy." It ain't... and to be honest, he wishes he could find a new home for the thing. And he's not even fired it yet...

First off, the safety is so difficult to operate that S&W literally omitted it from the current production models. And he doesn't care for the trigger, but could get used to it.

But the slide! Some S&W designer needs to be taken to the woodshed for that - what an abomination! The wavy serrations are indeed purty, but purty useless. Not only is it downright slick, but you'd best have eaten your Wheaties before heading to the range.

I'm a pretty stout lad, and I cannot pull that thing back hard or far enough to engage the slide lock. And yeah... the spring is installed correctly. Poor design, mechanical flaw, dunno...

Anyone else with similar experience or assessment? :huh:

I carry one everyday. I like it a lot, the grip fits my hand perfect. My little brother bought one after I got mine and he likes his as well. Before I got the Shield I carried a Glock 23. I did some online research and the Shield got good reviews. I am very happy with my Shield 9mm.

I like my shield 40.

flawless after 500rds.

Heavier trigger than glocks, but for the SD purpose, is satisfactory.

Accurate, I go for the tip of a bowling pin at 30ft and usuallly get it.

Noticable slimmer than the G26/27, about the same dimension for the rest, thus easier for IWB carry. I think it is only 1/8" thinner, but that is a plus.

Aftermarket sights and trigger upgrades are much more pricy than glocks, plus harder to install according to the videos on line.

about $100 cheaper than a glock.

Holds 6/7 for 40cal & 7/8 for the 9mm. so you are giving up a couple rounds in the stock mags vs glock. Glocks can use the next model of mags, so you can upgrade capacity easily if you are talking house gun, or use the much higher capacity as a BU magazine.

It has it's place.

Carry my Shield 9mm every day. It's on my belt at this very moment.

I have about 500 rounds through it without a hiccup. I'm surprised how accurate it is for a small pistol.

Not sure which class it would fit into CAS :)

Seriously, if yours is as nice as mine, you'll be happy.

Alrighty... To those who have and enjoy your Shields ~ have any of you experienced the slide issues?

I'm totally serious... that sucka is plumb ghastly! :wacko:

Then... I'm thinkin' it's time to advise the lad to ship the piece back to Messrs Smith and Wesson with a request to "make it right..." :(

I have one in 9 mm which I bought to replace a KelTek PF9. The KelTek ran fine for a few years and then started to have extraction problems,

The Shield is much more pleasant to shoot since empty weight is 19 ounces vs 13 ounces and the word from folks who have used them as a loaner in a training operation is they can stand up to a bunch of use and abuse. Mine has become my go to carry gun in an inside the waistband Kydex holster I made for it. Because it is small and light and thin, it disappears entirely on my right hip under an untucked shirt.

Now if I was expecting trouble would I want something with more umph? Yep, that is what a rifle or a shotgun is for, but neither of those will disappear under a shirt. I did make a Kydex holster for my Zastava M92, but that was hardly gonna be for concealment, especially with a 30 round mag in place! :lol:

Alrighty... To those who have and enjoy your Shields ~ have any of you experienced the slide issues?

I'm totally serious... that sucka is plumb ghastly! :wacko:

None for either of us.

I have small to med sized hands and my SIL has OMG, they large size hands.

Just ship that .40 to me-I'll break it in for you----- :D

OLG

Have both the 9 and the 40.

have yet to get a FTF and no jams with anything I have put through them (my reloads including lead and jacketed, premium SD ammo and white box practice stuff).

Had the slide be a little tough to rack on the forty when new, took out mag and was easy, store gave me a different mag and problem went away no idea why.

Heard there was a recall on the 9, not sure but mine have not had any issues so have not gone back

pretty accurate although I prefer the night sites on a virtual 938 I sometimes carry in my imaginary world :D

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

https://secure05.lwcdirect.com/front/frontQuestionnaire.jsp?linkparam=y&uID=0&p=mpshieldsafetyalert.com&loginType=skipWelcome&clientID=742&campaignID=63

IMPORTANT CONSUMER SAFETY ALERT and INSPECTION PROCEDURE
August 22, 2013

PRODUCT:

ALL M&P Shield™ firearms manufactured before August 19, 2013.

DESCRIPTION OF THE HAZARD:

Smith & Wesson has identified a condition where the trigger bar pin could damage the lower trigger in certain M&P Shields in a way that may affect the functionality of the drop safety feature of the firearm, potentially allowing the pistol to discharge if it is dropped.

Any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential to cause injury, and we ask that you STOP USING YOUR PISTOL IMMEDIATELY UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND, IF THE CONDITION IS FOUND, REPAIRED.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PRODUCT INVOLVED:

This Safety Alert applies to all M&P Shield pistols manufactured before August 19, 2013. We believe this condition is largely limited to recently manufactured M&P Shield pistols. However, out of an abundance of caution, we are asking all consumers of all M&P Shields manufactured before August 19, 2013 to immediately inspect their pistols for this condition.

To determine whether your firearm was manufactured before August 19, 2013 click HERE

INSPECTING YOUR PISTOL

Your firearm must be inspected to determine whether it exhibits the condition identified in this notice. To determine whether your firearm is affected by this condition, please inspect your firearm as follows: (Video instructions available here)

1. Follow the procedures in your Safety & Instruction Manual to ENSURE THE FIREARM IS UNLOADED; ENSURE THAT THE MUZZLE IS POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION; THE SLIDE IS LOCKED BACK; AND THE MANUAL SAFETY IS ENGAGED.

1. Hold your pistol sideways with the muzzle pointed to the left. Look at the trigger. Note that the trigger is actually two pieces, with a pin in the middle that connects the two halves (Figure 1).

1. Look at Figure 2. Without touching the trigger, identify the plastic tab circled in red in Figure 2.

1. Slowly pull the trigger. The plastic tab encircled in Figure 2 should disappear into the upper trigger section (Figure 3).

1. Slowly release the trigger. The tab should reappear as shown in Figure 2 completely on its own.

1. Repeat steps 4 and 5 several times. If the small tab as shown in Figure 2 reappears each time, your pistol does not require repair.
  2. If the small tab does not consistently reappear as shown in Figure 2, YOUR PISTOL MUST BE RETURNED FOR SERVICE.

Figure_1.jpg

Figure_2.jpg

Figure_3.jpg

If you are uncomfortable conducting the inspection outlined above, or are unsure whether the condition described in this notice applies to your firearm, please take your firearm to your local M&P Certified Armorer or send your firearm to Smith & Wesson for inspection. M&P Armorers can be found on the smith-wesson.com website under Find a Dealer.

If after inspection it is determined that the condition outlined in this safety alert exists, the firearm must be sent to Smith & Wesson for repair.

REMEDY/ACTION TO BE TAKEN:

STOP USING YOUR FIREARM UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND, IF THE CONDITION IS FOUND, REPAIRED.

Your firearm must be inspected to determine whether it exhibits the condition identified in this notice. To determine whether your firearm is affected by this condition, please inspect your firearm by following the inspection instructions above.

If your firearm is affected by the condition outlined in this notice, please send your pistol to Smith & Wesson. Your firearm will be inspected, and if necessary, repaired at no cost to you. Your firearm will be returned within 5 to 7 business days. All shipping and repair costs will be covered by Smith & Wesson.

Outside the United States, click HERE for a list of Authorized Warranty Centers that will repair your pistol.

CONSUMER CONTACT:

Please contact Smith & Wesson directly at 877-899-6259, or at MPShieldSafetyAlert.com to arrange for the repair, if necessary, of your pistol.

Called S&W. Spoke with a very polite gentleman...

"Shoot it. It should lighten up. Customers tell us that after 200 to 300 rounds you should see an improvement."

Well, that's encouraging... but seems kinda odd to have to shoot $120+ of cheap ammo to make it comfortably functional.

Ah well... reckon the Kid'll have to make a day of it. Pack a lunch! :rolleyes:

Called S&W. Spoke with a very polite gentleman...

"Shoot it. It should lighten up. Customers tell us that after 200 to 300 rounds you should see an improvement."

Well, that's encouraging... but seems kinda odd to have to shoot $120+ of cheap ammo to make it comfortably functional.

Ah well... reckon the Kid'll have to make a day of it. Pack a lunch! :rolleyes:

Reload your 'play' 9mm ammo. Mo-cheaper d'at way ;)

On semi-auto weapons. A brake-in period is expected-

For me, if it's a 'carry-gun'. My minimum break-in is 500 rnds, and I don't clean it till done with break-in.

OLG

Reload your 'play' 9mm ammo. Mo-cheaper d'at way ;)

On semi-auto weapons. A brake-in period is expected-

For me, if it's a 'carry-gun'. My minimum break-in is 500 rnds, and I don't clean it till done with break-in.

OLG

It's a "Forty Short 'n' Wimpy." Gonna cost the boy a mite more... :rolleyes:

Also why it has stiffer springs, the S&W dude sez. Danged stiff. :mellow:

40 has mor-power and higher slide velocity that has to be tame'd.

I see the same in my Glocks.

I load 40S&W PM me if you want a good load w/180 gn bullet.

Blue-Dot powder is about the best for 9mm-.38 Super-.40S&W. Super clean burning also.

OLG

Works for me----- :wacko: Push the button faster- :P

THX Joe!

OLG

First time I clicked on your like I got a "page not available" notice. Then I googled "smith & Wesson Shield alert" got the S&W link, posted it, and then yours worked. Weird.

It's a "Forty Short 'n' Wimpy." Gonna cost the boy a mite more... :rolleyes:

Also why it has stiffer springs, the S&W dude sez. Danged stiff. :mellow:

Never quite understood the "Short & Weak" or "Short & Wimpy" monikers for it. Yes, it is less than the 10mm it was cut down from, but still a stout round. And one I detest because of the characteristics of the recoil. Very unpleasant in all the platforms I've tried. Good round, I just don't like it. Give me a CorBon .44 Magnum over it any day - the recoil isn't as nasty.

Never quite understood the "Short & Weak" or "Short & Wimpy" monikers for it. Yes, it is less than the 10mm it was cut down from, but still a stout round. And one I detest because of the characteristics of the recoil. Very unpleasant in all the platforms I've tried. Good round, I just don't like it. Give me a CorBon .44 Magnum over it any day - the recoil isn't as nasty.

I don't know of a small frame 44mag that carrys well in an IWB holster. the shield 40 does. The Shield 40 is a work/business firearm and manageable recoil is to be expected. Shield has one more cartridge than a 44mag wheel gun. If you don't carry IWB mode, then disregard my comment above..

A 40s&w shoots a nominal 180g bullet @ 875-900fps., which trumps a 9mm at 125g @ nominal 875-900fps. You may only get one shot/chance. Send the biggest slug that you can shoot well. It may just very well be a 9mm in your case.

Keep your powder dry.

40 has mor-power and higher slide velocity that has to be tame'd.

I see the same in my Glocks.

I load 40S&W PM me if you want a good load w/180 gn bullet.

Blue-Dot powder is about the best for 9mm-.38 Super-.40S&W. Super clean burning also.

OLG

i've had good luck with HP-38/W231 with 40S&w & 180gr .... and in the 9mm too.

I don't know of a small frame 44mag that carrys well in an IWB holster. the shield 40 does. The Shield 40 is a work/business firearm and manageable recoil is to be expected. Shield has one more cartridge than a 44mag wheel gun. If you don't carry IWB mode, then disregard my comment above..

A 40s&w shoots a nominal 180g bullet @ 875-900fps., which trumps a 9mm at 125g @ nominal 875-900fps. You may only get one shot/chance. Send the biggest slug that you can shoot well. It may just very well be a 9mm in your case.

Keep your powder dry.

I have no problem controlling the recoil of a 40 S&W, I just don't like it. I've tried it in Glocks, Smith & Wessons, Berettas, H&Ks, a few others I forget. Shot well with it, just don't care for the feel of it. Which would mean that I'd not likely practice with it as much as I should.

If I can get a CCW here in California, likely I'll opt for something in a small .357 Magnum, or at least .38 Special +P. No slide, no safety, no magazine. Instant follow up if by some rare chance there is a failure to fire. And zero chance of a stove pipe. If not that, then something in a .45 ACP.

Archived