SASS Wire Forum

New to CAS - WTB used clothes, leather, and guns!

BankRoll

I just signed up for SASS and bought a used Uberti Stallion in .38 special. But that's all I have.

I'm looking for clean and functional gear to get me started. I could use pants, a shirt, vest, suspenders, boots, hat, etc. I'm a 38-40 waist and most likely a "L" for shirts and vests. Size 10ish feet.

I also need a functional belt and holsters. I'm not picky, as long as they fit me and my guns.

I'm also interested in a good condition rifle and shotgun. And I need another SA revolver to match my .38 Uberti.

I'm more than happy to pay a fair price and will cover shipping & handling.

Welcome to the fure, BankRoll! You will have a great time! Post where you are from so some "locals" can help you out. Before you spend a bunch of money on guns you may want to attend a match or 3 and rtry out some guns to see what works for you. You will find that 99% of shooters will be more than happy to let you try out their guns.

FYI, Oklahoma Dee has a fine rifle and a couple of pistols for sale on the wire. He is a good guy.

I don't know about all clubs, but my local has a five stage match every other month and a two stage/practice the other months. This practice is great for new shooters, because the have stages set up where you just practice the rifle, or just the pistols, or just the shotguns. This is where the veteran players come with all if their toys so that they can practice and are more than happy to let a new fellow play around as well. If your local has something like that, then you should go there first before buying anything. They'll also be able to tell you were to get good deals on anything from clothing and boots to ammo and reloading gear. Good luck to you. Only a coue of months ago I was you and now I have at least my main gear and couldn't be happier.

I don't know about all clubs, but my local has a five stage match every other month and a two stage/practice the other months. This practice is great for new shooters, because the have stages set up where you just practice the rifle, or just the pistols, or just the shotguns. This is where the veteran players come with all if their toys so that they can practice and are more than happy to let a new fellow play around as well. If your local has something like that, then you should go there first before buying anything. They'll also be able to tell you were to get good deals on anything from clothing and boots to ammo and reloading gear. Good luck to you. Only a coue of months ago I was you and now I have at least my main gear and couldn't be happier.

what that feller said. don't be in a rush. I know it's terrible hard, but don't rush.

Get your first set of duds from your local thrift shop (Goodwill, Salvation Army) or your own closet. Jeans or solid pants with no blazed emblems, long-sleeve shirt with no logos, boots (lace or cowboy), and any cowboy-style hat. You will want to always have something to shoot in on a poor-weather day.

Get to your local range and talk to other cowboys before buying guns. You will want to make decisions about ammo, reloading, categories and time periods before you buy guns. These people may know of someone retiring from cowboy that needs to sell guns.

You will want to see other cowboys before making a design about a guncart.

You will want to pick your category and guns before you buy leather. You can always sell/trade guns, but leather is kind of permanent since second-hand leather usually brings little value.

Thanks for all the responses .... I bought a nice shirt from someone and have some good leads on guns.

I still need some pants, suspenders, boots, and a hat before my first event on Nov. 15th?

I have some leads on holsters and a shotgun from a local club .... which is awesome!!

Still looking for clothes though. Size 38-40 pants (not worried about length - I'm kinda short and my wife can hem them), size L shirts/vests, and maybe a coat/jacket.

I went to the local Goodwill store and looked all around. There certainly are some creative options .... but honestly I'd rather pay a little more and get more authentic stuff.

Again welcome to the fire. But befor you buy guns and leather show up and try out everything you can to find what fits you. Do not buy first thing you see later if you stick with it you will be selling that stuff off and buying what you like then. Problem is it will cost more later and you will loose money on the first item most of the time.roas being the only exception right now they are going two to three times of msrp before Ruger discontinu them. There's a reason for that., also decide on caliber before you buy. 38 are good but not leagle in every category. That's another thing to think on which category do you wish to shoot under. Some have a restrictive firearm or clothing requirements. I might have a pair or three of suspenders that you can buy.

One thing I did wrong on the get-go, was not figger on what era I wanted to be. Shot a hammerless SXS,2 different pistols,a 44-40 BP frame,71/2,and a 45 Navy Arms brass frame 51/2,and a Henry rifle!! Now I'm just a poor Parson shootin Open Tops ,66(and still the Henry-in the winter when it is cool enough to hang on to)an original Rem SXS that spent at least 25 years in a rain barrel.(paid $100 for it.) Enjoy!!!!

Parson(really am one too)

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm about a 40-42 waist high around my waist.

My wife laughed at me when I asked for her sewing tape so I could take my measurements.

private message me your address and i'll get a pair of period-coo-rect pants off to you . . . . . :)

BankRoll, . . .

I dug around in my shop . . . .

http://www.drburkholter.com/cf16.html

. . . it took some "digging" . . . . that shop was so roomy when I converted that trailer to a shop 9 years ago . . . . how did it get so full of stuff . . . ? :huh:

. . . . . . and found the pants . . . will pack 'em . . . .

probably not get them in the mail until about the 13th. I'm way out in the Wild West . . .

. . . . . http://www.whitehorseranch.com . .

. . . . and can't afford to do extra trips to town just now.

:)

Welcome Bankroll!! As everyone as already suggested try a lot of different guns before you settle on "the ones". We are still pretty new and the members of our local club and also the neighboring clubs we have gone to were all so generous in letting us try many different types. So many it usually left my head spinning!! We were also blessed with a few of our members being kind enough to let us borrow items. In fact we are still borrowing leather rigs! ;) and as far as clothes I do agree Goodwill, Clothing consignment shops and EBay. (With eBay you just have to try several different search word combinations : frontier trousers, cowboy action clothes, old west reenactment, vintage western... Etc...). For new stuff there are several stores out there. We have had good luck with Historical Emporium or Wild West Mercantile. And gun carts, well look around and what everyone has, we jumped in and got one we hated within our first match. LOL!! Too small, too short, too hard to move. I shoot cap and ball so I need something with a shelf about waist high for ease of reloading. Plus try wearing a corset and bending over all the time to get your stuff! We now use one of the jogging strollers we converted. Works great!!

Ask you local pards, we found they were always more then willing to share their wisdom of things learned along the way. They are the best place for information, just as you will find on here! That's why we love this sport so much! ;)

Good luck and have lots of fun!!!!

Whisque Lonestar

As far as clothes go, you usually don't have to be completely, perfectly period correct to start shooting. As said before, jeans, boots, and optional hat. Just start getting your outfit together a little at a time. Develop your persona first so you can get the correct accessories.

Also said before, don't buy guns until you have tried some out. MOST cowboys are extremely happy to let you try out theirs at monthly or practice shoots. Talk to other shooters and get their ideas about "why" they like such-and-such gun before buying.

When purchasing new items, Wild West Mercantile often has sales on all sorts of clothing and accessories. Check them out online.

For gun belts, don't buy cheap just to start. Check with other cowboys and see what you like and who did theirs. There are lots of good leather makers out there in almost all states. Buying cheap to start only means you pay more in the long run when you do have to replace because the cheap ones didn't work right or you finally found what you do want.

Good luck and keep checking Goodwill and Salvation Army. Sometimes you can find really good stuff that works great. Also watch the SASS Wire for people selling their stuff.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the fine folks who helped me get geared up!!! I got some great gear at great prices .... some even FREE.

Most of the stuff came from the classifieds here, but a few items are from eBay and Amazon.

Just for fun, here is a list of the things I got over the past few weeks:

• Uberti Stallion pistols in .38
  • Uberti 1866 with action work in .38
  • A couple pairs of pants
  • A nice vest
  • A few shirts
  • Suspenders
  • A scarf
  • Sleeve stays
  • Jacket that says "Cowyboy Action Shooters" across the back
  • A hat
  • Boots
  • A very nice belt, holsters, and shell slide
  • Pocket watch (Amazon has some great watches that are less than $10)

The guns weren't cheap, but everything else added up to about $350. I think that's incredibly reasonable for a full get-up, including leather. Gotta love used stuff!!!!

• 2 months later...

Get your first set of duds from your local thrift shop (Goodwill, Salvation Army) or your own closet. Jeans or solid pants with no blazed emblems, long-sleeve shirt with no logos, boots (lace or cowboy), and any cowboy-style hat. You will want to always have something to shoot in on a poor-weather day.

Get to your local range and talk to other cowboys before buying guns. You will want to make decisions about ammo, reloading, categories and time periods before you buy guns. These people may know of someone retiring from cowboy that needs to sell guns.

You will want to see other cowboys before making a design about a guncart.

You will want to pick your category and guns before you buy leather. You can always sell/trade guns, but leather is kind of permanent since second-hand leather usually brings little value.

I went to a match over the weekend and I saw that someone had a golf bag and cart being used for his gun cart. This to me is a great idea. definitely check your local thrift stores for the clothes. I actually found a duster for $10 bucks.

I have a double holster rig with shotshell loops and six 38 bullet holders. Dark brown color. I am your size so I know it will fit. Beautifully design stamped holsters and my evil roy competitions fit great. Pics available , just send email to leephl@yahoo.com. $200 plus $15 for shipping.

Also have a 40 size pair of Black frontier classic trousers. Can't remember what I paid, but never been worn cause I lost a little weight. $45 includes shipping.

Archived