SASS Wire Forum

Question for Darksiders going to EOT

Go light as possible on the lube and keep guns covered when not shooting. There will be lots of wind and/or dust devils that really stir up the fine red dirt/sand there. You guns will be covered in it, even if you keep them wrapped. If a layer of oil is present it just makes it stick worse. A can of air will help in blowing out any sand in the action.

Bring materials to the shooting line to take care of fouling.

It's looking like normal EOT weather in 2 weeks - 95 degrees, sunny, some winds and dust devils.

Fouling in those conditions builds up fast and pretty hard. I carry PAM in a spray bottle when I shoot BP at Founders in the summer. (Peroxide, Alcohol, Murphy soap) Then I can spray it in the carrriers of 73s and on cylinder faces and pins in revolvers. I have revolver cylinder gaps open to 0.007 or 0.008" I use good BP lube. 4 stage days are no longer a challenge. 6 stages, then the revolvers get sticky and hard to rotate, so it's time to wipe off the cylinder face.

Shotgun barrels will definitely develop snake skins - not a big deal, but some folks never see them and get worried. Every BP shooter using plastic wads will see some pretty good skins come out of the barrels.

I lube with the Mobil-1 synthetic grease where the gun needs grease (but use as little as possible). And keep a can of spray Ballistol on the cart for an emergency (such as I have to shoot RIGHT NOW and I can't take time to wipe off a revolver).

If a wind blow or a dust devil comes up, COVER long guns and put revolvers in a compartment of your cart. Take down umbrella so the cart won't tip over. Guns on the ground are never a pretty sight, and can take a few minutes to make sure the dirt is all out.

Good luck, GJ

My pard and I live and shoot in Las Vegas, a very windy place. In the summer our temps are in the 100s and the wind constantly blows. Unlike some other posters, we believe in keeping the pistols and rifles well lubed with Ballistol. We use a liberal coating of bore butter on the cylinder pins of our pistols.

We've shot this way through a true Haboob in Pahrump and never had a lock up on any of our guns. Yes, they looked ugly and there was a muddy ooze dripping out of the side plates of our 73s, but they kept working throughout. We, of course, stripped them down that evening and cleaned everything up.

We have never had a problem shooting through a full six stages without swabbing, spraying or any other care between stages with this method. The only problems we've incurred is our brass shotgun shells sticking in the chambers of the shotguns, so we do swab out the chambers with a bit of water, then a dry swab if this gets to be a real problem. This has been with both cartridge and cap-and-ball pistols.

My technique: lots of Ballistol inside the actions and cover your long guns at every opportunity. If shooting a '73 close the dust cover after closing the action at the loading table. Dust devils come out of nowhere in calm conditions and fill your guns with grit in seconds. Also, clean after shooting every day.

I have shot in many hot, dusty and windy places. Covering the rifle and shotgun between shooting is always good. I keep a spray can of Ballistol handy to spritz pistols and rifle, a 73, just a bit at most every other stage and work the actions. Those dust devils are sneaky buggers and can make a real mess very quickly!

Be ready for anything

Even rain, cause ya just never know

Four stages a day are not bad to prepare for. In my MADD mind

Then clean em, that's my plan

I do not over lube things, lube can be an attractant when over done

I do swab my rifle barrel with a moose milk patch after each stage other wise my rifle builds up an inner crust ring about 4" from the tip

Mileage always varies

Thanks pards, I will also get my cart ready for it as well. I don't have any covers for my rifles, any ideas on what I can use? With only a couple weeks, I don't know if I can get one made.

Rev

Thanks pards, I will also get my cart ready for it as well. I don't have any covers for my rifles, any ideas on what I can use? With only a couple weeks, I don't know if I can get one made.

Rev

If you got any old britches sitting in the rag bag cut the legs off them and sew one end shut. They'll do as long gun covers until you can replace them with something from a vendor. (Not sure these are legal for B-Western shooters. <_< ) You may get a free long gun cover in your registration package.

If it is dusty I use One Shot cleaner and lube. I carry it on my cart and at the first sign of grittiness I spray every thing out. It is a dry lube that doesn't attract the dust.

SASS and other venders have will have the covers for sale.

Look at your cart. If it is real open and the buttock is down, the dust from foot traffic with get up under the covers and fill the actions with grit. I used to have an open cart and the foot traffic did more damage than anything.

And FYI, some shoots allow gun covered action closed, some want gun covered action open and some covers do not have room for action open. I do not know which way EOT goes.

sure there will be some vendors that would be happy to sell you rifle socks! if not I just cover the action with a rag( old baby diapers work great) and bungee cord it around, use moose milk ( hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol and balistols or murphy's oil soap) keep the pistols and rifles well lubed with Ballistols ( I live in Arizona and we keep en wet, plus I been to the "Sandbox" and kept my M-4 and 1911 well lubed) yes was able to get a 1911 in but not out so I sold it to my replacement when I left.

Rafe

And FYI, some shoots allow gun covered action closed, some want gun covered action open and some covers do not have room for action open. I do not know which way EOT goes.

If a cover is on it, action can be closed at every EOT I've been to. Tell your posse marshal that is what you need to do, and I'm sure he will either agree or run it up the chain and get a decision.

Good luck, GJ

Archived