SASS Wire Forum

Loading 97's

Most of us 97 shooters use them as if they are single shot guns.

We are allowed to load "no more than 2 at a time" on the clock. In my observation, most people who do this do so by loading one into the chamber, closing the action, and then loading one into the magazine tube.

On those occasions where the knockdown causes a clay pidgen to go flying, that's the method I've used.

However, over the winter, I've been doing a little practicing with snap caps, and I've found a method that, for me at least, seems to be a little faster.

Load one into the chamber, close action, fire.

With action still closed, load 2 into magazine.

You've then got 2 quick shots, and the 4th can be dumped directly into the chamber, or 2 more into the mag depending on how many targets there are.

Anybody ever try this?

Would this violate the "no more than 2" rule? While there are only 2 live rounds in the gun, there are 3 total in there, the 2 live plus the 1 fired.

My reason for asking is very simple. On those occasions with a pop up target, I've always been uncomfy of a live round in a cocked shotgun and then shifting it around to load one more into the mag.

Any thoughts?

I pull two with my RIGHT hand, load one, fire, then throw the other one in. I find it much faster than loading one and then putting one into the tube anymore, even for the flyers.

Would this violate the "no more than 2" rule? While there are only 2 live rounds in the gun, there are 3 total in there, the 2 live plus the 1 fired.

No.

SHB:

Pump and lever action shotguns are allowed to load no more than two live rounds at a time

in the main match stages unless specified in the stage description. In team events, shotguns

may be loaded to their maximum magazine capacity.

with the 97, I do the same as Skye, I never load one in the chamber and then one under into the mag,,, slow!

I dont shoot a 97, but I watch others. loading one underneith is slow. fastest Ive seen is a guy who pulls 4 in his left hand, and loads "over the top" he is very practiced, and very good. He never has trouble reloading in time to hit a popper, and can even shoot at it twice! Takes a lot of practice though.

I tried a new technique last summer for a very low throwing clay. I put one shell in my belt right side up and one upside down (mine will fit um upside down). This way when I pulled two shells the one that's dropped into the chamber is nose forward while the second is in my hand nose to me.

Reason wise is I have to rotate my hand to slide the action forward. When my hand comes back the shell is in the right orientation to go into the mag tube.

You've then got 2 quick shots, and the 4th can be dumped directly into the chamber, or 2 more into the mag depending on how many targets there are.

Anybody ever try this?

Any thoughts?

Absolutely legal...only your practice will tell if it is faster for you...

Yo Doug; Use to use that method with special tact squad firing Ithaca 12 gauge pump actions and loading as we moved. Very effective and fast operating & loading. Does work firing one and loading two into tube. Takes practice but very fast & effective. Loaded from the left and over the top also.

Yo Doug; Use to use that method with special tact squad firing Ithaca 12 gauge pump actions and loading as we moved. Very effective and fast operating & loading. Does work firing one and loading two into tube. Takes practice but very fast & effective. Loaded from the left and over the top also.

Agreed... that is why only his practice can tell if it is faster for him.

A fella once told me that it's more of how much you practice, than what you do. After watching Long Hunter's videos I started practicing dry and live fire with the "two in the right hand" method. I'd say it works pretty well once you get it down. Then again, I've seen those guys who grab four and load them over the top, and they are much faster than me. I guess it all comes down to what you can do consistently. When I was working in a specific industry and instructor once told me he wasn't much of a "technique" guy, and that whatever got the job done for that particular person was good enough for him.

In the Spirit of the Game mode, when the stage allows Stoking, I fill the '97's magazine with the quantity needed, and pump away. Same with my '87. It's not as fast as the over-the-top loaders, but it's what a Cowboy would have done.

Why do you think the magazine is there?

If the stage only has 2 shotgun targets, I use my hammered side-by-side. The right gun for the right situation. Still not as fast as a Stoeger, but I enjoy my time shooting, and the faster it's over, then the faster it's over. This way, the fun lasts longer.

After the match, I stick around and shoot the Cody-Dixon rifle targets (100 yards) with my 7 1/2" barrel Remington pistol. I've hit 14 in a row twice. With my 5 1/2" barrel Colt, I've hit 16 in a row, until I ran out of ammo.

Just having more fun in Texas, I guess.

I've discovered that whatever works for YOU, with the least amount of problems (trainwrecks), then that is the one you should focus on.

You're gona have those 'WOW' stages where jaws will drop on some Posse members watching you. They'll say "How did he do that'?

And then you're gona have those 'What in world am I doing wrong' stages where somebody walks up to you at the ULT and ask: "Have you ever shot that 97 before"? It happens.

Whatever technique you determine is best for YOU, you're gona have to PRACTICE. And depending on just how good you want to get, you may have to PRACTICE alot. When I say 'Practice', it means atleast 'dry fire' with it and if possible, mix in some live fire practice also.

..........Widder

Guest Maker-Wright

I've discovered that whatever works for YOU, with the least amount of problems (trainwrecks), then that is the one you should focus on.

You're gona have those 'WOW' stages where jaws will drop on some Posse members watching you. They'll say "How did he do that'?

And then you're gona have those 'What in world am I doing wrong' stages where somebody walks up to you at the ULT and ask: "Have you ever shot that 97 before"? It happens.

Whatever technique you determine is best for YOU, you're gona have to PRACTICE. And depending on just how good you want to get, you may have to PRACTICE alot. When I say 'Practice', it means atleast 'dry fire' with it and if possible, mix in some live fire practice also.

..........Widder

multi-time Speed '97 champ: GOA, TN State, GA State, NC State, Hell Fire.

Howdy Widder,

You can check out one of Widder's '97 videos here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrxq3X1dic

If the link doesn't work, go to youtube and search "Widowmaker Shotgun"

I'd never seen a '97 worked that quickly

Archived