SASS Wire Forum

cooking outdoors question

Trigger Mike

If ya cook it outside, how ya gonna git that roasting turkey smell all through the house? :D

'sawright, they burn off easy

I usually cook turkey on a Weber bbq grill. Use the "indirect method." Start out with aoubt 60 pieces of regular charcoal. get them going and add about 4 pieces to each side Do not stuff the turkey; cook the stuffing separately on the stove. Baste the turkey with a good cooking oil to begin with. Use an instant thermometer for accurate testing of when it's done. Put the lid on and open all the air vents. After 1 hour, add 6 or 8 more pieces of charcoal to each side. When done, bring it in and wait maybe 20 minutes before carving the turkey.

grill sounds like it might work better, though Utah made a good point about the smell in the house. Maybe I will cook the turkey in the house but cook the broccoli casserole in a dutch oven over a wood fire as well as the dressing. I may cook a turkey breast on the wood fire in cast iron to see how it taste.

TM, check this site:

International Dutch Oven Society

Personally, I always do my turkey on a Weber. "Indirect" method. The pies and side dishes do a fine job of makin' the house smell hungry. ;)

But I love Dutch ovens for all sorts of other stuff... heck, there are three of 'em stacked by my front door - and I'm looking for more. :)

I concur on the grill, I use a gas grill and place a tray of mesquite smoking chips in there, I get the grill real hot (all burners) then place the bird on grate and turn off the burners directly under the, bird, close it up then turn down the other a bit depending on teh grill, that Tom will cook slow taking in all that smoky flavor. I do them all winter and have "Turkey day" a number of times til the warmer weather. :). I have done them on Weber's as well, only difference is I only use wood coals.

TM, check this site:

International Dutch Oven Society

Personally, I always do my turkey on a Weber. "Indirect" method. The pies and side dishes do a fine job of makin' the house smell hungry. ;)

But I love Dutch ovens for all sorts of other stuff... heck, there are three of 'em stacked by my front door - and I'm looking for more. :)

Went looking thru flea markets for a dutch oven to melt lead. Best I could find was a small one with a lid for $40. I passed.

I usually cook turkey on a Weber bbq grill. Use the "indirect method." Start out with aoubt 60 pieces of regular charcoal. get them going and add about 4 pieces to each side Do not stuff the turkey; cook the stuffing separately on the stove. Baste the turkey with a good cooking oil to begin with. Use an instant thermometer for accurate testing of when it's done. Put the lid on and open all the air vents. After 1 hour, add 6 or 8 more pieces of charcoal to each side. When done, bring it in and wait maybe 20 minutes before carving the turkey.

That's how I've done them, except I add hickory wood chunks to the charcoal fire every half-hour or so to keep the smoke going.

Remember:

The standard 20- or 22-inch (whatever that size is) Weber grill with the dome lid top will only accomodate a turkey of about 20lbs or so. Otherwise the lid won't fit on it without touching the breast.

Also, remember to bend and fold those wings back under the bird, locking them together behind the back. This provides a stable rest for the bird on the grill and keeps the meaty part of the wings up against the bird instead of hanging off to the sides. Be sure to baste with oil when you put the bird on the grill and once or twice more during cooking ... don't worry about the bird getting too dark. Be sure to put a catch pan under the bird for the drippings to make gravy out of, it you like. There's plenty of time, because the bird has to set of a while after removal from the heat. Start testing with your instant thermometer in two or three places after about 75 minutes. I cook until I get a good temp of about 165-170 in the breast and the thigh. Then remove and cover with foil and let sit for twenty (20) minutes to continue cooking on its own.and for the internal juices to stabilize and set in the meat. If you carve right away, it may not be all the way done and all the juices will run out, leaving the bird dry. Remember, the bird could even sit 30 minutes or even more and will be just fine. This gives you time to make the gravy and to finish everything else in the kitchen and give everyone plenty of notice to get ready to eat.

Archived