SASS Wire Forum

"First Shirt"

Subdeacon Joe

I was a First Shirt for the AF.

For us it was a shortened version of First Sergeant, a job title for E-7, E-8 or E-9,. It was a job title, whereas in the Army First Sergeant is a Rank title

While I'm aware that First Shirt is the First Sergeant, I believe Joe's question, and it's a good one, is "how did they go from 'sergeant' to 'shirt'?"

Yep...how did the 1stSgt get tagged as "first shirt?" First pick from a new clothing issue? Kept his shirt on while overseeing Pvts. doing manual labor? Old, patched shirts in the bottom of your kit, newest, most spiffiest on top, hence "first shirt?" Does it date to the Civil War, as some sites suggest? Or the Revolutionary War, as others say? Or is it older than either?

... It was a job title, whereas in the Army First Sergeant is a Rank title

In the army it is both. You can be a First Sergeant without being a First Sergeant, but you cannot be a First Sergeant unless you are a First Sergeant.

You can hold the position without the rank, but you cannot hold the rank unless you are in the position. If you are an E-8 but not in a 1SG position, you are a Master Sergeant.

When the Air Force was created in '47, all personnel had to turn in their army uniforms. The first issued Air Force shirts went to the First Sgts.

I made that up but it makes as much sense as anything else.

And is a temporary acting First Sgt called a T-Shirt??

When the Air Force was created in '47, all personnel had to turn in their army uniforms. The first issued Air Force shirts went to the First Sgts.

I made that up but it makes as much sense as anything else.

Wouldn't that be a "T&A-Shirt," Bob? (Temporary & Acting)

Well, we had Msg Willingham as the top Kick, and a Field First, Msg, Kurpowicz.

Msg. Kupe was a galvanized Polish officer from WW II that joined the US Army

when Poland became part of the Soviet Union.

He was murdered in Germany after I came home, by his wife and her boyfriend.

Good man.

The First Shirt is the one with all of the stuff on the sleeves AND holding the position as First Sgt.

Master Sergeant Key was First Sgt (First Shirt) of Headquarters Battery of the 5th Battalion 39th Artillery and through his good graces and taking pity on a NEW 2nd Lt I survived and I think made a pretty fair US Army Officer.

Without his effort I would have been a typical 2nd John and made all of the stupid mistakes they are noted for.

The First Shirt is the one with all of the stuff on the sleeves AND holding the position as First Sgt.

Master Sergeant Key was First Sgt (First Shirt) of Headquarters Battery of the 5th Battalion 39th Artillery and through his good graces and taking pity on a NEW 2nd Lt I survived and I think made a pretty fair US Army Officer.

Without his effort I would have been a typical 2nd John and made all of the stupid mistakes they are noted for.

Yeah, but where and how did the term "first shirt" come to mean 1stSgt?

here is m try. First Sgt would be the first shirt you see in a formation or the first shirt in a column when marching. Do I win do I win????

But I always called my 1st Sgts, Top

While I'm aware that First Shirt is the First Sergeant, I believe Joe's question, and it's a good one, is "how did they go from 'sergeant' to 'shirt'?"

Same way the senior officer is the "Top Brass".

Soldiers are masters at creating slang terms. Have been for some time now, like 10,000 years.

Yeah, but where and how did the term "first shirt" come to mean 1stSgt?

In any Company or Battery sized unit, he would be the NCO with the most on his sleeves.

In any Company or Battery sized unit, he would be the NCO with the most on his sleeves.

So why isn't he First Sleeve?

I'm guessing there is no good reason or explanation for the phrase. Some soldier, somewhere, referred to him by the term, and it stuck. I'm with The Shoer, always referred to him as "Top."

I'm guessing there is no good reason or explanation for the phrase. Some soldier, somewhere, referred to him by the term, and it stuck. I'm with The Shoer, always referred to him as "Top."

Or a T-top...

Where the heck did that term come from? I've read three different theories, none of which made much sense.

So....what is your version of how the term came into being?

No definitive answer - but this has something: http://www.dover.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123285721

SC

Found this on Airforcemag.com.

How Did “First Sergeants” Become “First Shirts”?

The term “first shirt” has been
applied to the duty for years, and it seems that no one can
authoritatively document the origin. However, there are three main
theories.

The first and most colorful version has it that federal troops in the
early frontier days wore their shirts into tatters and eagerly awaited
the supply wagon bringing new uniforms. When it came, the first
sergeant, being the ranking enlisted man, got the first pick of the
shirts.

The second theory is that the first sergeant, being the most senior
and usually the most experienced of soldiers, often collected more
decorations and insignia than anyone else. His shirt thus was the