SASS Wire Forum

Straightened Trigger Suggestion

Hipshot SASS#7

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 19, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 19, 2013 - No reason given

I have little doubt that it will be passed... never did have any doubt, and have never been against it.. after all, hundreds... no, thousands... no.. maybe millions of them are already out there. I'm surprised that with the huge numbers of them already in service that I haven't run across a couple of them. Of course, there are not that many Cowboy shooters in this part of the country.

Snakebite

Maybe you're just not that observant.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks,

I received an interesting email from a friend, who lives in the "south," about this type of trigger. The person wrote that a shooter was talking about this new trigger the shooter had that allowed the shooter to pull the trigger faster when closing the lever on the rifle.

So, it seems to have other functions than "shooter safety."

Regards,

Allie Mo

I have little doubt that it will be passed... never did have any doubt, and have never been against it.. after all, hundreds... no, thousands... no.. maybe millions of them are already out there. I'm surprised that with the huge numbers of them already in service that I haven't run across a couple of them. Of course, there are not that many Cowboy shooters in this part of the country.

Snakebite

You. Like Goody.

Have probably been shooting with people that have them and never noticed it.

It is not much of a change and you would really be having to look for it to notice it.

Hi Folks,

I received an interesting email from a friend, who lives in the "south," about this type of trigger. The person wrote that a shooter was talking about this new trigger the shooter had that allowed the shooter to pull the trigger faster when closing the lever on the rifle.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Have to disagree with them. And I have shot one. So not just going on what someone else has said.

The taking out the trigger flop and setting it back will help for that. And I understand that IS legal.

But the straightening of the trigger it's self of less than 1/8th. (Closer to a 1/16th than 1/8)

Only helps prevent that trigger bite.

The one I have from Slick does all 3. Takes out the flop, sets it back just a little, and is straightened.

Only the straightening part is what was ruled illegal.

The other part which does help with the speed for some. Is already legal.

One good thing with the one I have. It was NOT done from the original. So alI we have to do is swap it back out.

Which IS being done in the morning BEFORE it gets used in a match.

Will keep the one I got from Slick and save it for when/if it gets passed.

Hi Folks,

Regards,

Allie Mo

The only thing that would make this type of trigger to allow a shooter to be faster isn't the trigger itself. It's a mentality issue: since it won't 'bite' the finger it allows the shooter to feel more comfortable and safer - hence allowing to mentally be at peace to run the lever at optimal speed.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

One good thing with the one I have. It was NOT done from the original. So alI we have to do is swap it back out.

Which IS being done in the morning BEFORE it gets used in a match.

Will keep the one I got from Slick and save it for when/if it gets passed.

IMHO,,,, that shows the Cowboy Way.

For what it is worth..... < 2cents....

Blastmaster

You. Like Goody.

Have probably been shooting with people that have them and never noticed it.

It is not much of a change and you would really be having to look for it to notice it.

True... I am just trying to make the point, that the rule needs to come FIRST... not after. Just having lots of them out there does NOT make it right.... the RULE makes it right.

I'll go back to room now.

Snakebite

The only thing that would make this type of trigger to allow a shooter to be faster isn't the trigger itself. It's a mentality issue: since it won't 'bite' the finger it allows the shooter to feel more comfortable and safer - hence allowing to mentally be at peace to run the lever at optimal speed.

I would be more subconsiously concerned (from a safety standpoint) of stacking multiple bullets behind a stuck squib bullet,,, before being able to shut down... and bulging the barrel,,,, and perhaps rupture of such barrel,,,, than pinching my trigger finger/

True... I am just trying to make the point, that the rule needs to come FIRST... not after. Just having lots of them out there does NOT make it right.... the RULE makes it right.

Snakebite

I will stand beside you on this one Snakebite. Rule first! then Obey the rule! That is all I ask.

So, you've used that trigger and believe this from a comparison with the original? :unsure:

Snakebite

I agree with that.

But also want to point out that many like myself, and Slick, thought it WAS within the rules.

How many out there does not matter.

How many thought that it was within the rules as written does.

But don't matter now. Our will be changed.

Snakebite

The rules as WRITTEN.....sure

Stan

TG's are supposed to vote as their club that that they represents wishes them to.

yes but

what if their clubs, even when asked say, they dont really care one way or the other

I have been a TG of several clubs, and most shooters I asked very often did not care

and some that did, were very much in disfavor of the whole TG process, and vocal of that as well

trust me, when they cared, I went with the majority

Deuce, your question is valuable and important, so please don't misunderstand my question in return

So, you've used that trigger and believe this from a comparison with the original? :unsure:

Gunner has shot my trigger that had the tip set back as to not allow finger pinch. He has his own Marlin that he could compare it too. So yes he has shot one that has been "adjusted". Further, you could correctly infer that he does know of which he speaks.

Ketchum.

Take the trigger out of your Marlin. Heat up the trigger part (not the sear) until it glows red. Put it in a vice and squeeze. Now you have a modified trigger. Is it profiled?; straightened?; set back?

Evidently the new interpretation makes what was previously legal illegal. The rules that I read said that setting back and reprofiling was legal.

I hope that the Committee approves this change. It's about the only way I know of to make a Marlin pleasant to shoot!

Gunner has shot my trigger that had the tip set back as to not allow finger pinch. He has one of his own Marlin that he could compare it too. So yes he has shot one that has been "adjusted". Further, you could correctly infer that he does know of which he speaks.

Ketchum.

;) thanks pard.

GG

Maybe he read it in a letter. <_<

What letter?

GG

I would be more subconsiously concerned (from a safety standpoint) of stacking multiple bullets behind a stuck squib bullet,,, before being able to shut down... and bulging the barrel,,,, and perhaps rupture of such barrel,,,, than pinching my trigger finger/

That's you.

GG

That's you.

GG

Still running that rifle with the illegal trigger?

FWIW, the folks at the match today couldn't believe the post about straight triggers and people doing such things.

I shot today at Hidden Valley. Only had one shooter achieve potential nerve damage on our posse. Unfortunately for him, he hadn't heard about "setting the trigger back" to avoid stabbing himself.

Ketchum Quick

Still running that rifle with the illegal trigger?

FWIW, the folks at the match today couldn't believe the post about straight triggers and people doing such things.

Oh the horror...

GG

Oh the horror...

GG

I take your answer as yes!! You are still shooting an illegal gun,,,,, and your club allows that?

No horror,,, just shows your character..

don't worry, I don't plan on shooting in Western Michigan anytime soon.

Speaking of character and the Cowboy Way,,, two shooters this weekend gave themselves SDQ for failure to unload their pistols at the ULT and discovered their error the next stage. They did not blame the ULTO, they took the responsibility

I take your answer as yes!! You are still shooting an illegal gun,,,,, and your club allows that?

Speaking of character and the Cowboy Way,,, two shooters this weekend gave themselves SDQ for failure to unload their pistols at the ULT and discovered their error the next stage. They did not blame the ULTO, they took the responsibility

Yeah. Good for them. That happens quite frequently in our parts too.

KQ

What letter?

GG

I was referring to the fact that somebody wants to make accusations based on a email but when confronted with a clear explanation of why they just wrote you off as not having enough personal experience.

The simple fact that you are questioning GGs character because of this tells me all i need to know about yours.

The simple fact that you are questioning GGs character because of this tells me all i need to know about yours.

I asked a fair straight question, he refused to answer.

You can make whatever unfounded conclusion about my character you want.

I don't shoot a straight trigger.

I take your answer as yes!!e You are still shooting an illegal gun,,,,, and your club allows that?

No horror,d,, just shows your character..

Speaking of character and the Cowboy Way,,, two shooters this weekend gave themselves SDQ for failure to unload their pistols at the ULT and discovered their error the next stage. They did not blame the ULTO, tshey took the responsibility

Yeah...you're an expert on ' character' ;)

GG

Archived