SASS Wire Forum

Straightened Trigger Suggestion

Hipshot SASS#7

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 19, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, August 19, 2013 - No reason given

I just remain amazed at the creativity and discussion that a little old trigger can create. Now, would someone be verbose enough to tell me what the process will result in. Will the shooter be faster, more accurate, or what?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just remain amazed at the creativity and discussion that a little old trigger can create. Now, would someone be verbose enough to tell me what the process will result in. Will the shooter be faster, more accurate, or what?

As stated on the other thread.

It is not about speed. it is about comfort.

We had put it in the wife's because every now and then she would pinch her finger.

With the straighter one. She does not.

That was the only reason. To avoid the old finger pinch.

Will the shooter be faster, more accurate, or what?

I would definitely lean toward the "or what"

If this Mod is done on a 73 does it disable the lever safety?

KK

just a question here

I have a slick trigger (love it) so if it's illegal are you

not going to let me shoot :angry: or

take away my prize money <_<

this is a FUN game, let's keep it FUN!!!

my 2 cents

Mississippi Kid

just a question here

my 2 cents

Mississippi Kid

Not let you shoot.

It's stayed a fun game because there are rules so evgeryone knows what is expected.

Are you saying you can only have fun when you cheat?

My 4 sense

Goody

Hey Cat,

I'm pretty certain Deuce is up to speed on the rules and recent clarification concerning this topic as He is a current member of the ROC and a TG.

Hey, Hombre! :)

I hope yer not just findin' that out! Yeah, I know. So, what's yer point? ;)

Thanks for the lesson Cat.

No problemo, Deuce ,,. anytime ;)

Seriously, though, I wonder, as others above have, why something like this seems to be so important? The reasons I've heard so far, do not, in my mind, justify approving such a modification. The claim that, "Oh! it pinched my wittle trigger finger!" doesn't justify it. Or, because a bunch of enthusiastic cowboys have willingly or were led into, playing, "follow the leader" and knowingly or unknowingly violated the rules by doing it, does not justify it. And, other than the fact that some popular cowboys, and their supporters here on the wire want the modification legitimized, there doesn't seem to be any real reason to do so.

Altering the rules because there is a hollow outcry for the change, doesn't make sense and creates an alarming precedent, in my view. But, others have their opinion, too.

Cat,

I'm sure we both would find great entertainment sitting across the lunch table and discussing this cause it seems like you would make a good debater.

And based on that, I'm gona use a couple of your points to state my thoughts.

1. For the Pards who like the straightened trigger because it helps keep their fingers healthy, its not just a pinch. Its a dern gouge. And if you're running a Marlin with authority and do it, that blame trigger will go right thru both sides of your finger. I've got the scar to prove it. Actually, I've got a couple of them.

And for those Pards who prefer to maintain a good index finger, eliminating 'trigger bite' with a straight trigger is A LOT more important than short stroking a rifle just for the purpose of gaining more speed.

2. AND.....if you put side pockets on a pig, you still have a pig. And when you straighten a trigger, you still have a trigger. No harm in either except one of those items tends to benefit the well being of a shooter, especially those prone to having a finger that loves to flop between the lever and the bottom of the trigger.

As for me, my main match rifles DO NOT have straight triggers nor even a slight resemblance of being straight.

But I can see why some Pards prefer them. And, like the Pig with pockets.....a trigger is a trigger, whether its straight or curved.

I would tell my TG to vote in favor of allowing them.

I enjoy reading your post!

..........Widder

just a question here

my 2 cents

Mississippi Kid

If you go by rule. You should not shoot it.

We won't be shooting ours. They are coming out until this is voted on.

Cat,

I'm sure we both would find great entertainment sitting across the lunch table and discussing this cause it seems like you would make a good debater.

And based on that, I'm gona use a couple of your points to state my thoughts.

1. For the Pards who like the straightened trigger because it helps keep their fingers healthy, its not just a pinch. Its a dern gouge. And if you're running a Marlin with authority and do it, that blame trigger will go right thru both sides of your finger. I've got the scar to prove it. Actually, I've got a couple of them.

And for those Pards who prefer to maintain a good index finger, eliminating 'trigger bite' with a straight trigger is A LOT more important than short stroking a rifle just for the purpose of gaining more speed.

2. AND.....if you put side pockets on a pig, you still have a pig. And when you straighten a trigger, you still have a trigger. No harm in either except one of those items tends to benefit the well being of a shooter, especially those prone to having a finger that loves to flop between the lever and the bottom of the trigger.

As for me, my main match rifles DO NOT have straight triggers nor even a slight resemblance of being straight.

But I can see why some Pards prefer them. And, like the Pig with pockets.....a trigger is a trigger, whether its straight or curved.

I would tell my TG to vote in favor of allowing them.

I enjoy reading your post!

..........Widder

+1

Said much better than I could.

As said before. I don't have one. But the wife. Like you. HAS run that thing pretty deep in her finger before.

It's not really a big deal. Don't know why some would fight so hard against it.

And as Slick posted. His (which we have) is really more of a set back trigger than a straightened trigger. (which they say is ok)

But I guess it was straightened just a little. So will have to wait on the vote.

I talked to the guy who runs the Bar 3 Ranch this morning and after a long discussion we made the dicision to invite everyone in SASS who has a straight,reprofiled,Slick or Phantom trigger to the SW Regional Cowboy match { you can get an app on line or in the Chronicle} in English,Texas this Nov.. This decision is for 2013 match only, if the ruling comes down that this modification is illegal in Dec at the big meeting place, then so be it !!!!!! We will change next year and abide by the rules set in place. Thanks T-Bone

No problemo, Deuce ,,. anytime ;)

Seriously, though, I wonder, as others above have, why something like this seems to be so important? The reasons I've heard so far, do not, in my mind, justify approving such a modification. The claim that, "Oh! it pinched my wittle trigger finger!" doesn't justify it. Or, because a bunch of enthusiastic cowboys have willingly or were led into, playing, "follow the leader" and knowingly or unknowingly violated the rules by doing it, does not justify it. And, other than the fact that some popular cowboys, and their supporters here on the wire want the modification legitimized, there doesn't seem to be any real reason to do so.

Altering the rules because there is a hollow outcry for the change, doesn't make sense and creates an alarming precedent, in my view. But, others have their opinion, too.

Regardless - Post#1 is what it is....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I've been following this topic since the original thread brought up the issue, but I'm still not sure I have a handle on what is currently 'illegal' but subject to local approval until the TGs can deal with it.

I know a straightened trigger is off limits, but is any degree of straightening out, or like short-strokes is there an allowable maximum? Also, set back triggers are still good, but what about mating the trigger to the sear to eliminate trigger flop, is that allowed?

Kiowa my trigger is welded to the sear and set back, but not straightened (that I can tell). The lever safety is also disabled, but I don't know if that was a required thing that went with the trigger work, or in addition to the trigger work.

I've been following this topic since the original thread brought up the issue, but I'm still not sure I have a handle on what is currently 'illegal' but subject to local approval until the TGs can deal with it.

I know a straightened trigger is off limits, but is any degree of straightening out, or like short-strokes is there an allowable maximum? Also, set back triggers are still good, but what about mating the trigger to the sear to eliminate trigger flop, is that allowed?

Kiowa my trigger is welded to the sear and set back, but not straightened (that I can tell). The lever safety is also disabled, but I don't know if that was a required thing that went with the trigger work, or in addition to the trigger work.

These are all good questions. Thank you Bill for looking at this issue with an open mind. Far too many have been unwilling or unable to.

No problem Hombre! I just want to know what is and isn't acceptable so I don't end up in violation. Visually the only difference I see between my trigger and others is mine doesn't flop. But then I've never taken it out and laid it down next to another '73 trigger.

Still have not heard if this IS going to be on the agenda or not.

Do I need to be after every TG I can think of to get this on. Hate to bug them if it IS going to be on there.

Hi Al,

It will be on the agenda.

Here is the process as described by Hipshot last Friday at the Western Regional. A modification request is sent or forwarded to the RO Committee to verify whether it fits with the current rules. If not, as they decided about this one, it will be submitted to the TGs at the next Summit.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Not to forget ..... If the Wild Bunch Don't like it, it won't happen.

And ...... If you keep yer finger OUT of the finger lever ................

Not to forget ..... If the Wild Bunch Don't like it, it won't happen.

And ...... If you keep yer finger OUT of the finger lever ................

If the WB really did not want it. They would not even put it on the agenda to vote.

As far as keeping it out of the lever. That's great. Until you try and run 3-4 second runs.

Person told me this weekend. That someone ran one REAL deep into there finger at EOT this year.

Is this possible to have a photo of theis style of trigger to see what this modification is actually!

That is just ONE version of the mod. The recent clarification from the ROC allows only 2 modifications to triggers, width and position. ANY reshaping of the trigger profile is illegal. Don't forget, Slick's trigger was not the mod in the initial discussion.

Thank you Allie (Dear) Mo, it's more clear for me now!

Slick kind of got thrown in the middle of it. And he has only had his triggers out for a very short time.

Very few rifles with them in them.

BUT.

Others have been doing pretty much the same thing to 73's and 66's for YEARS.

And yet there names was never mentioned.

I got out ours that has Slicks trigger in it. And other Marlin with a stock trigger in it.

Measured from tip of trigger back to trigger guard on the lever.

It was straightened LESS than 1/8th of a inch. :wacko:

Straightening a trigger a 'little bit' is like being pregnant a 'little bit'. Either you are or you aren't. Either you are legal, or not. illegal only because you have crossed the line 'a little bit'... morally or otherwise. If you are true to the " COWBOY WAY" and will not give 'doubt' to others of your actions,,,,,you will not DO IT!!!.. until it is made a written legal modification... If you do it,,,,knowing nobody else may detect it,,, you are still guilty of not doing the right thing!!!! Everyday, I see more and more people in SASS,,,,, not doing justice to the Cow Boy/Girl way!!

Just saying....

Blastmaster

Straightening a trigger a 'little bit' is like being pregnant a 'little bit'. Either you are or you aren't. Either you are legal, or not. illegal only because you have crossed the line 'a little bit'... morally or otherwise. If you are true to the " COWBOY WAY" and will not give 'doubt' to others of your actions,,,,,you will not DO IT!!!.. until it is made a written legal modification... If you do it,,,,knowing nobody else may detect it,,, you are still guilty of not doing the right thing!!!! Everyday, I see more and more people in SASS,,,,, not doing justice to the Cow Boy/Girl way!!

Just saying....

Blastmaster

Wow...every day????

wow...

Just saying....

Blastmaster

Many of the gunsmiths that have reshaped triggers are honest and generous guys that live the cowboy way. You make an assumption that they knowingly broke the rules. Don't forget the rules state parts may be reprofiled. And triggers may be set back. These cowboys thought those two items made reshaping a trigger legal.

Everyone, reread Post #1. With that in mind, how many folks that have the modified trigger will change back to original shaped trigger until the rules are changed?

I have had a trigger bite my finger once, in all the years of shooting., after 10's of thousands of rounds being shot.

Everyone, reread Post #1. With that in mind, how many folks that have the modified trigger will change back to original shaped trigger until the rules are changed?

I have had a trigger bite my finger once, in all the years of shooting., after 10's of thousands of rounds being shot.

Wouldn't it depend on the matches a shooter planned to attend? Enforcement is left to the discretion of the match director for a reason. Imagine if you have a 73 with a welded trigger that has had a "bit" of re shaping and this clarification comes down a week before a big match you've already paid for and scheduled vacation days. Again knowing the work was done in good faith. I think the decision by the Wild Bunch to give discretion to the Match Directors is good policy and a good temporary solution.

Wouldn't it depend on the matches a shooter planned to attend? Enforcement is left to the discretion of the match director for a reason. Imagine if you have a 73 with a welded trigger that has had a "bit" of re shaping and this clarification comes down a week before a big match you've already paid for and scheduled vacation days. Again knowing the work was done in good faith. I think the decision by the Wild Bunch to give discretion to the Match Directors is good policy and a good temporary solution.

The Cowboy Way would be to get back into compliance ASAP. Work done in good faith is nice but doesn't really count. Either you are or are not in compliance.

MD can not go around to all shooters and check for illegal modifications and I doubt the shooters with illegal (good intentions or not) modifications will volunteer. MD are swamped with so many other details, they really do not have time to police the bad boys/girls.

Isn't a big part of this sport or the hub,,, competing and treating everyone, The Cowboy Way?

Finally, if such behavior is openly allowed, then it (whatever the match is called) is nothing more that a Sand & Gravel Pit Practice Match.

The RO Committee feels that approval of this particular modification will be approved through the proper process.

Enforcement of this particular rule will be at the discretion of each match director until such time as it comes before the TGs for a vote.

Hipshot SASS#7

Finally, if such behavior is openly allowed, then it (whatever the match is called) is nothing more that a Sand & Gravel Pit Practice Match.

So if a Match Director decides to exercise the discretion granted to him/her by the ROC and Hipshot in your opinion their match is now just a 'Sand & Gravel Pit Practice Match?'

I'm with Straight Arrow, I think the ROC decision was a good one. Given that they think this modification will be approved their decision allows shooters who are currently using the mod to continue shooting (with Match Director approval) until such time as the mod is either approved, or rejected. If it's approved that could be a big money and time saver for some folks who won't have to go to the expense of switching back and forth. If it's not approved what's the loss: some shooters are allowed to shoot with straight triggers for a few months longer.

The ROC protected the rule making and approval process, while being considerate of pards who may have unknowingly been shooting unsanctioned equipment.

I have little doubt that it will be passed... never did have any doubt, and have never been against it.. after all, hundreds... no, thousands... no.. maybe millions of them are already out there. I'm surprised that with the huge numbers of them already in service that I haven't run across a couple of them. Of course, there are not that many Cowboy shooters in this part of the country.

Snakebite

Archived