SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun ammo question from a new member

hambone

Howdy pards ; I'm a new member still gathering up equipment to shoot my first match. The question I have is what are the typical loads run through a double barrel shotgun in an average match? 4,s, 6's 7 1/2's etc. My next question would be, about the shell material. All I know about shooting a match has come from video's at this point, or TV, and without fail all shotgun shells have been short-brass plastic. ( That i've seen) Can you use the brass hulled shells? Is there an advantage to shooting plastic versus brass? I would think you would get more reloads from brass. Are the brass even legal? Hence my questions.

Thanks in advance. Hambone 98165

Well- first of all - WELCOME TO SASS. A great bunch of people who will bust their butt to help a new shooter.

The targets are CLOSE - therefore 7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot is fine. You will probably want to start reloading (at some point in time) -

therefore, plastic hulls are desirable. You can't go wrong with Winchester AA, Remington STS - and similar very reloadable

rounds. Stay away from "El Cheapo" rounds - they have a tendency to "bulge" after being fired - and that is VERY FRUSTRATING

when you are on the clock - plus - they can't readily be reloaded.

I am sure I have just touched on a few of your questions - and - I'll let others jump in.

- Boneyard Bill

I use 7 1/2 but you can you 6s or 8s.You can use brass hull but they are harder to come by and a lot more money.The plastic hulls work better if the are smooth like AA win. or STS rem.The short brass does not matter.You can reload the brass a lot more but they are a little harder to load and are a lot more money and if you or a spotter have big feet you can make a mess of the brass hull.You beat me Bill

If you shoot brass you win giant style points. :)

Seriously most of us shoot the lightest load plastic shells we can load or buy. A lot of people swear by Winchester Feather Lites or whatever they are called these days. You want smooth sided shells. The shotgun game is all about loading and reloading as fast as possible.

Our sport requires #4 shot or smaller. Many ranges have more restrictive shot size requirements. If you are using 7 1/2 or smaller you will be just fine most anywhere.

Videos are a great way to get started, but the videos only begin to scratch the surface of the fun and education you will get by being Home, Home on the Range.

Forget about needing guns, ammo or clothes. Get out to the next cowboy shoot and just tell them you are interested. You will have more help and advise than anyone can possibly type in here. Take your guns and ammo if you want. You can join in or just watch or be taught the first thing about cowboy shooting...... How to count and pick brass! :)

Hambone, here is the handbook wording about shot shells:

• Shotgun shot size must be number 4 lead birdshot or smaller for all events (no steel or plated shot).
• Magnum and high velocity shotgun shell loads are not allowed.
• Shotgun shells shall not be sized down by the use of any die not manufactured for the specific gauge.
• Shotgun Shell shall not be scored (ringed) as to cause the shot-shell case, wad, and shot column to be shot from the firearm as one projectile.

Can you use the brass hulled shells? Is there an advantage to shooting plastic versus brass?

Yes, brass hulls are legal. Advantages are brass hulls are not expendable and more 'style points' shooting them. Plastics and even paper (roll crimped) are more commonly used

Well the shotgun rounds has been covered.

What I see in your post is you have learned about cas by watching videos on the net.

I will suggest like many others who have been through startup. Get to some local matches. Talk to the shooters. Most will let you try out their guns. Some guns available that look western will not hold up to the way we use our guns.

By handling various guns for fit and function it will save you from buying guns that will be replaced in short order. You 're going to be buying lots of guns over time to play in all the different categories but there is no need to buy guns that you have to replace because they don't hold up.

As a commercial reloader, my suggestion is to use the 7 through 8 size shot. I have not found a range that does not allow these. Some ranges restrict 4 and 6 shot.

Welcome, now find a match or two and get out there.

CH

Here is a specific recommendation: Winchester low noise, low recoil shotgun shells (AA12FL8) are very popular for CAS. With the rebate Winchester is offering they are not much more expensive than the el cheapo, promo shells you should avoid. I load Remington STS gold-colored hulls to match the recoil of the AA12FL8 hulls. They resemble brass hull at a distance. I lack the time to reload real brass hulls. I can easily get a half-dozen reloads from STS hulls before they become too rough for CAS.

I was able to purchase a case of the feather lights from Recobs and one from Cabelas and I was able to send in the rebates for the cases.

For the last 2 or 3 years I've been using the Remington Gun Club Target Loads (GC12L8). I like them better than the Winchester AA Light Target loads. Funny thing is......the SxS shooters I shoot with, use them without any problems also. In fact, they can't get to the unloading table fast enough to scarf the hulls. Although the base looks to be aluminum, it's not. The cheap shells have aluminum bases and generally will not shuck easy out of a SxS. While brass will earn "style points", they are expensive and can be lost or crushed underfoot. The Rem's will run about $5.00 per box of 25.

Good luck, welcome to SASS and the Wire.

CS

Well they told ya ta buy smooth sided plastic shotgun shells with brass bases...

Well... What shouldn't ya buy?? and why??

The ribbed plastic shells... with aluminum bases..

When shooting a SxS ya want the fired hulls to drop out of yer SxS real easy like..

Ribbed plastic can stick.. and aluminum bases swell and can stick...

Smooth sided ammo and brass bases have a tendency to NOT do this..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' they got ya covered :)

Where can I order some 12ga 7-8 Win Featherlites or Rem Gun Club Target Loads (GC12L8)?

I got a new Goatneck Clem SXS TTN hammer SG that DOES NOT like the cheap Walmart 12s.

Cabelas shows the Featherlites in stock. You can order and pick up at a local store and avoid shipping costs (wthich are high).

Hambone, regarding the all-brass shells, yes they look cool and can be reloaded many, many times. I've reloaded some brass shells 50 times and they were used an unknown amount before I got them. But most shooters using them are shooting black powder. Shooting smokeless in them and getting them to work properly is tricky. Also, most people using them do not crimp the end of the case, partially because this takes some special equipment. The straight edge of the mouth with no crimp can slow you down a little on getting them into the chamber. My suggestion is to stick with the choices mentioned above, and if you do get into reloading shotshells, you can always try out the brass shells later.

I was at a Cabelas yesterday and Win AA were $9.49 a box and then you subtract the $2.00 rebate and then save your hulls. They have sold for 0.05 to 0.10 each, which on a box of 25 can be another saving of $1.25 to $2.50 a box. That box of Win AA's final cost would be $6.24 to $4.99. I can reload them if I want, but I have been buying them new to shoot. Bass Pro sometimes have them at a reduce cost of $7.99 a box.

All I have are the Win AA "Low-recoil, Low-noise Target Load" which is the new name for the Feather Lites.

I shoot Classic Cowboy. I use brass shells, fiber wadding, #7 shot, black powder, large pistol primers and that stuff Michaels sells that is water based super glue. For double guns only, somewhat slower to load, loads of fun and they are quite cheap to load. Last year I used these shells on a quail hunt just to annoy my buddy. Be mindful of the wind. If you want my exact recipe e mail me..... dr3498@hotmail.com

Welcome to the Campfire. Around here 7 1/2 or smaller is the range rule for shotgun shells. Most use Feather lites or a reloaded equilavent in AA or STS hulls. . The few who use brass hulls load black powder in them.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Hambone 98165

Archived