SASS Wire Forum

Here we go again......

Calico Mary

Just went onto Channel 7's website to check the temps, and the top 4 stories are all fires....

One is in the city of Aurora, it's a house fire that damaged 4 different houses.

The other three are all forest fires....one in Rocky Mountain National Park, one in the Black Forest down by Colorado Springs, and one at the Royal Gorge....it's gonna be a looong summer!

:(:(:(

Some extremely expensive houses have been destroyed. Very little air assets available. As I recall there was a bill to create a state fire tanker force that was voted down in the legislature. :angry:

We can't protect ya from fire but we can prevent you from having a 20rd mag.

Tis the season, but then again, it seems like it always is

Yeah. A lil dang early this year though. :(

So far three buildings lost at the Royal Gorge, don't know what kind yet, and at least 8 homes so far in the Black Forest. 2500 more have been evacuated....

bummer, wish I cud send some of our cool temps and rain your way!!!

I just gotta shake my head when I hear things like this (off a Channel 7 news report on the Black Forest fire)

"No fatalities have been reported but several residents who decided not to leave when they were initially told to evacuate have now found themselves surrounded by the flames and are calling for help, Maketa said."

How's that go...ya can't fix stupid? Already the lost home count is being estimated at 40-60, but it's impossible to tell fer sure yet. Prayer for those in the area and especially the firefighters all over the state would again be appreciated....

The number of homes that are a total loss in the Black Forest fire is up to 92....and no count yet on the ones damaged but not destroyed.....rough time down there for way too many people tonight....

I see they finally got some heavy air assets in. I watched Hickenlooper stumble through a press conference saying how "well prepared" they were. :angry:

Tree huggers move here and won't cut or trim there trees

so fire personal can have a clear safety area to fight a fire

around there house, are now crying they lost everthing.

BOO HOO

Padre you are generally correct about the useless behaviour of tree huggers.

Yet in this case the area suffering this fire has a reputation among the weather forecasters as being very knowledgeable about fire mitagation.

BUT the wind is very strong both yesterday and today.

The average wind speed has been in excess of 20 MPH during the day.

With gusts into the 35 MPH area.

So it is not all about clear safety areas.

The fire is burning through wooded areas.

The smoke plume is nearly horizontal.

The fire is within 10 miles of my house.

The route I take to my gun club passes well throught the fire mandatory evacuation zone.

And the forecast for tonight is for the wind to blow towards me with a local wind over my house heading to the north.

I just had two C-130 MAFFS planes overfly my house.

Those are the ones configured to drop flame retardent.

There has also been a converted DC-10 airliner, Yes a DC-10.

A smaller twin engine prop tanker has been dropping retardant.

Two chinooks and two smaller choppers from Fort Carson have been dropping water on the fire.

Current total is nearing 100 homes destroyed.

Many have been caught burning on air.

Yeah. A lil dang early this year though. :(

Maybe for Colorado, but the season got started late in NM and AZ. Then wham! My son is currently working the Thompson Ridge fire near Sante Fe which is now 36 sq miles and 1,000 people on it. Just a couple of weeks ago he was saying how quiet things were compared to this time last year. 'Tis the season.

Hope you and Colorado pards come out ok, Hacker.

Thanks, CM.

Anybody know a rain dance?

don't know about rain, but you have my blessing to get ahold of the Evil critter (aka Evil Dogooder) and see if he can do his snow dance....sure worked on us in April and in this heat it wouldn't stay snow fer long...

...some friends of ours live in Black Forest, be in prayer for them, they were evacuated this morning as the fire was headed straight at them and their neighbors... ...they hooked up their rv and went to rv park in Manitou Springs... ...they didn't have time to take much... ...their place is just east of 83 before you get to Hodgen Road...

Most of the homes appear to have been burned due to embers. From the video I've seen, they all had wood or asphalt shingle roofs. The fire in the areas wasn't a crown fire like they one that hi the Springs last year but a low ground fire. Looks like they did a lot of mitgation in many areas but without a metal roof to defeat those flying embers, you're really taking a chance in a fire prone area. I know those cedar shake roofs are pretty but I'd never have one. Hope the dang weather changes soon.

A change in the weather would be nice....

But I'm afraid the Royal Gorge fire is about to get worse...latest reports say it's moving into a stand of beetle killed trees... :(

Padre you are generally correct about the useless behaviour of tree huggers.

Yet in this case the area suffering this fire has a reputation among the weather forecasters as being very knowledgeable about fire mitagation.

BUT the wind is very strong both yesterday and today.

The average wind speed has been in excess of 20 MPH during the day.

With gusts into the 35 MPH area.

So it is not all about clear safety areas.

The fire is burning through wooded areas.

The smoke plume is nearly horizontal.

The fire is within 10 miles of my house.

The route I take to my gun club passes well throught the fire mandatory evacuation zone.

And the forecast for tonight is for the wind to blow towards me with a local wind over my house heading to the north.

I just had two C-130 MAFFS planes overfly my house.

Those are the ones configured to drop flame retardent.

There has also been a converted DC-10 airliner, Yes a DC-10.

A smaller twin engine prop tanker has been dropping retardant.

Two chinooks and two smaller choppers from Fort Carson have been dropping water on the fire.

Current total is nearing 100 homes destroyed.

Many have been caught burning on air.

Having been a first responder for over 15 years I can tell you that it only take a couple tree huggers in

a area to undo all the rest of the people do. Yes the wind is involved, but as you know a fire creaites it's

on wind. With all of the beatle kill, dry ground cover, lack of fire hyderns, yes I know they had some water

tankers if place, but when they run out you are out of luck.

Sorry for the rant Don't mean to flame anyone. :)

The evacuation area for Black forest has increased this morning.

Hacker I hope you are ok they extended the evacuation area north this morning.

I have many friends in Black Forest. There are also many many animals. There are large ranches in that area. Hope that everyone is getting their animals out.

Prayers up for all the fires. There are many building burned on the royal gorge grounds.

Painted Filly

OKB, I know exactly where that is. I drive near there on my way to my gunclub.

Padre, The wind conditions I referred to earlier are not fire system created. My house is well outside the fire area and has been buffeted by high winds.

UB, The pix from the helicopter seem to confirm that at least some fires started from ground level burning and not necessarily the roof.

They showed one sequence where the roof was largely clear of fire and the fire rose up and got the roof.

That same sequence showed that the crowns of the trees were not burning at that particular house.

Many of the helicopter sequences the camera panned in well after the house was already fully involved, so hard to tell.

Have not seen any pix of damaged houses all involved burn to the ground.

They have reported lots of propane tank type explosions.

This morning the haze is awesome.

The Chinooks are up.

Have not seen the C-130 MAFS planes.

Hope they are not waiting until we are all awake.

News is stating that royal gorge fire structure losses are at the royal gorge facility itself.

Apparently no residences. And they are reporting 20% containment and 3000 acres burned.

The type 1 team is going to take over sometime soon.

The head of that team is the same guy (Rich Harvey) who was head during the Waldo Canyon fire.

I am not sure what my opinion should be about that matter.

El Paso County Black Forest fire mandatory evac extends from 83 to eastonville rd from county line to burgess.

With preevac and voluntary evac surrounding the mandatory extending to the west to I-25.

Elbert county has a chunk mandatory evac to the north east of the fire.

Douglas county has a chunk on preevac.to the north of the fire.

360 homes currently listed as complete losses according to El Paso County Sheriffs office

at the 9am news conference.

Military air support is army 2 chinooks, 2 blackhawks, NG 3 more blackhawks.

civilian?

Expected winds 20 MPH to 40mph today.

No expected containment numbers due to winds, lack of humidity and heat in excess of 90 degrees.

...spoke with our friends a bit ago... the clubhouse in their subdivision is now the fire command center and they were told that the military was cutting a 200' wide fire stop on the south and east side with 83 on the west and Hodgen on the north...

...these fire fightin' folks are to be held up as heros and deserve all of our respect-my hats off to them fer sure...

Some extremely expensive houses have been destroyed. Very little air assets available. As I recall there was a bill to create a state fire tanker force that was voted down in the legislature. :angry:

We can't protect ya from fire but we can prevent you from having a 20rd mag.

UB, they passed the bill and Hick signed it, but they couldn't agree on funding so there is no money to put it into action. The "Colorado Firefighting Corp" has been established, with no employees and not a nickel to spend.

Our prayers are with all the folks in these affected areas. It's gonna be a long summer.

GW

Archived