SASS Wire Forum

Cobra derringer?

Hoss

Looking for opinions on Cobra Derringers. I want a derringer, Cobras are 1/2 the price of Bond derringers, what do y'all think?

Looking at the results of the last 10-12 World Championships.....Bond is in the Winners Circle...haven't seen any Cobras there. Ya get what ya pay for.

Big Jake

P.S. I won a World Championship with an original Sharps 4 barreled derringer in 1986. Nice little Gun. Also have an Original Remington .41 over/under.

we have a couple of Cobra derringers...mostly though a free gun giveaway at a match...basically you get what you pay for. The Cobra is made from cheaper metals and the Bond is made from high quality stainless steel. the Bond grip is larger and the Cobra has a looong hammer pull to cock it compared to the smallish grip.

also the Bond has a rebounding firing pin and the Cobra has a protruding firing pin that will set off a round if it is closed hard enough with the hammer fully down. (have to remember to put the hammer on half cock when closing the gun) My dad had an old FIE derringer back in the 60s that had the same firing pin problem...not good when that gun went off when he was not expecting it.

The Bond can be slicked up and has the capability of changing calibers with a different barrel.

We bought a Bond and never looked back.

AND the Bond is made right here in Texas!!!

You could also look for an American Derringer that were made in Waco Texas. Very good quality and Closer to a Remington Original in size and function.

Just sayin'

Jake

Well, I bought the Bond Century 2000. 45LC/410. May get a 357/38 barrel for it. Going to the range tomorrow to try it out.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

We got one years back. Them Cobra Derringers are pretty cheap. The metal is not steel. Well, not many parts of it are anyhow.

We use it only occasionally. And it has never failed me, either.

MG

Before you order any spare barrels for your Bond, give them a call and ask about seconds/blems.

Mine came in .38/.357 3 1/2", which is what I really wanted for SASS,

but when I ordered a .22 LR 3" barrel for cheap practice

I also picked up a bargain blemished in .410/.45LC 4.25" barrel I think it was about half price IIRC.

There's no blemish that I can find, maybe the roll stamping is imperfect.

Most SASS shooters have Bond derringers...I bought an older American firearms Derringer which I love :wub:

I have shot it as fast as .68 seconds for 2 shots on two targets and will put it up aganst any Bond anytime ;)

P.S. it only cost me half the price of a Bond.

Well let's see.. started out with a Cobra Derringer in 38 special for side matches...

The Cobra has a lifetime guarantee...

It lasted for about 3 matches... then wouldn't fire the second barrel...

Phone call to Cobra.. Yes... We'll fix it...

Then I got to spend $35 for an FFL dealer to send it & receive it thru... and $25 shipping if I remember right..

I got it back after a couple weeks.. ok turn around time fer me... but their lifetime guarantee cost me $60..

I got it back.. shot it at the range.. works ok.. but... I got a new Bond in the meantime...

The Cobra gets kept in the box it came in.. the Bond gets shot in matches...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' just my experience :blush:

Glad ta see ya got a Bond.. you will be too :)

The Cobra used to be the Davis. Pot metal junk. I won one at an annual about 15 years ago. I could not get used to the 80 pound trigger pull. Sold it for $75. Now I have a honkin' big Bond and life is good.

Pietta is coming out with a derringer, saw pics of it on facebook. Looks good and much more like an old Remington than the Bond.

Archived