SASS Wire Forum

Would You Feed a Habit?

Badlands Beady

Couple of years ago I had a gun advertised here in the Classifieds. I forget the details, but a Cowboy PM'd an inquiry and happened to mention that he really couldn't afford it as he was retired and whatever else was the problem. I answered his question and then prayed (figuratively speaking ) he wouldn't make an offer. Luckily, someone else came through with a firm offer before I heard back, and the problem was solved.

So, would you sell something, anything, to someone you knew couldn't afford it? Is it acceptable to refuse to sell in such a situation? Or is it their problem and not yours?

Someimes people will say they can't afford it to try and get the price down. Unless I closely know the guy and his financial

situation, I would'nt have any problem with selling it. It's not like he's a meth addict.

Like I said, I forget the details, but the way this pard said it I believed him.

Not a meth addict? What Wire are *you* reading?

I am thinking people need to be making their own decisions and living with the resutls.

If someone wants to by a "thing" rather than buy food or pay rent they live with the outcome. It is just a matter of personal responsability and I am not going to be someone else's keeper.

In your scenario, I would still sell the gun. It could easily be as simple as someone wanting to own such a thing for a time. Memories are made, then it gets sold off and bills are paid.

That being said, there are exceptions. If you really believe what you give or sell to another person will be used to harm someone. Likely the "damage" will come back to haunt you. You have a duty to protect yourself with a refusal.

Unless they call me Daddy, I'm not their daddy and don't intend to act as if I am. Of course if the general population wants to declare me dictator, I'd be happy to say what must be bought from me and how much should be paid for it. I wouldn't change my alias, I'd just start telling folks the "D." stands for dictator. My friends could call me D. Buck. :lol:

To a stranger that I knew nothing about. NO.

To a person that I truely knew and their financial situation,, probably at a lower cost,,, so long as they were truely in need.

Either way, guns are not a necessity of life and that would play a big role in my decision making.

Edit: There are a lot of good people out there that are cash poor but donate a whole lot in their own ways and I will give them a lot of consideration. Some have lots of time and no money and others that are cash rich and time poor. Perhaps there are ways were both sides will benifit from each other.

Just saying.

I would only sell something like that if I knew the person from dealing with them at our club or other clubs in our area. I sold a gun to a guy a couple years ago who wanted to make two installments. I got the first payment two or three weeks after he commited to the purchase. He told me he would get the second payment after he got his next paycheck and I didn't hear from him for a couple months after that. I wouldn't do a deal with an out of stater, cowboy or not, like that. Cash in full only if I don't know them.

Ketchum Quick

Sure.....sell it if the buyer has the money.

Truth be known, probably very few Cowboy shooters can afford our game and all the travelling we do UNLESS we sacrifice something else. I sacrificed buying a NEW truck and stick with my 196,000 mile Toyota so I can afford CAS.

I sacrifice expensive lunches and eat mostly a cheap salad everyday to help save alittle extra for travelling to Cowboy shoots.

Those time I said 'I can't afford it' was usually on those items I really didn't want to buy but would rather somebody just give it to me.

Needless to say, I bought the things I wanted and left some of those other things abide with another owner because I didn't want to afford them.

..........Widder

Hey if they gets real strapped for cash they can sell the item also.

If you give them a great deal maybe they can sell it for more money

Sucks I'll buy all of your $20's for $10 bucks a piece. I'm a poor Southern Boy that lives in the swamps of Florida ;):)

Wyatt

Hey if they gets real strapped for cash they can sell the item also.

If you give them a great deal maybe they can sell it for more money

Sucks I'll buy all of your $20's for $10 bucks a piece. I'm a poor Southern Boy that lives in the swamps of Florida ;):)

Wyatt

Hit the nail on the head! Most of the poor me's are finagling a deal they can make money on. On the other side of the coin I have sold a minty Winchester 70 xtr 22-250 for 400; a Ruger tang safety 257 Roberts for 250; and several other guns to close friends merely because I didn't want them and thats what I paid in the first place.

Wyatt

Yeah, I've heard about Florida swampland. The last available bit sold a year or so ago for couple-hundred thousand, as I rcall.

Smart advise not to take installments on web sales from any forum. Even though we try to believe the best of everyone shooting SASS/CAS we know they can always be one egg looking for an edge. I remember getting into SASS n a Pard (Crazy Emmitt) lent me his .38's each match until I could buy what I wanted. Reason? I was buying my grandson's guns first n mine second. There are a lot of Pards out there who are like Emmitt. I've taken the lesson n tried to pass it on when I am able. If this purchaser had wanted guns at a fair prise he could have done as I and many of u by putting money aside or waiting for the next check to come in. Easy as that. I ain't a banker. We're all adults n should buy our gear without melymouthing! If you come to any match where there are good pards one is sure to lend you what you need.

If it were not for a great cowboy,I would not have been able to buy some guns he had.I was able to buy them just not all the cash at one time he let me put them on layaway.Thanks again pard.

Now on the reverse side. I had two sets of Rodeo's that I was thinking of sending to Lassiter to short stroke. I knew one of my Pards had a set of Longhunter Rodeo's that had made the trip to see Lassiter. He had not been shootin them for some time. I asked if I could try them to see if I liked them for GF. He asked if I wanted to buy them........I said how much? Snap call....all in.......happy camper :)

I shoot with this Pard often.......he's always tryng to get more money out of me :P

Wyatt

Archived