SASS Wire Forum

Badger Mountain Charlie post # 45,000 coming up

Two Spurs

Hey there Charlie,

Are ya thinking of something special for post number 45,000? Words of wisdom maybe... :unsure: Something that will stun the CAS community? :blink:

What's for sure now is that EVERYONE will be waiting. Kinda like the old E.F. Hutton commercials. :lol:

Thinking of that, who has the highest number of posts on the wire???

Off hand, wif out checkin' I'd say Deja.

What ever Badger has to say , it most differently will be profound ! lol

The old forum software had some neat features, you could see who the top poster was on that day, and overall. Danged if I can remember who was up there with BMC. Sadly, we no longer have that ability. Perhaps in honor of BMCs milestone Black Harris will do some voodoo and share some stats with us.

Gee, I hadn't noticed the post count.

Now I will have to sit up all night and think of something worthy of this August body of cow pokes. :mellow:

I shall delve into my files of clever and off beat quotations for weinie roast and campfire story telling.

No Tofu. No BP Bashing. Captain Jack is asleep so he will not have anything to contribute.

I reckon you could write about that gal from nantucket

or fishing

or your idea of a single perfect moment in time, for you I'd imagine it would include Jack at your side, a big fish on the line, a beer in one hand, a tofu sammich in the other, and the Swedish bikini team giving you a backrub.

This ought ta be good!!!!

.....Got my popcorn waitin'!

:lol:

~EE~

OK, next one is the BIG ONE! Everybody ready? Got your popcorn, libation of choice, comfortable?

STAND BY FOR HISTORY!

Drum roll please

Well, a footnote anyway.........

So it doesn't rank up there with Washington crossing the Delaware or Lincolns's Gettysburg Address. It is a little bit of Saloon history. Ok a small bit.

ALRIGHT, so no body cares.......... :unsure:

I gotz a feeling he's just gonna go back and edit his last post over and over and leave us hangin'!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

C'mon man! the suspense is killin' me!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok,.....well.....maybe it ain't that bad.

~EE~

The rain was coming down faster now. The little stream had become a bigger stream and was flowing much faster as it raced toward the large lake at the bottom of the canyon. Here and there a ripple of white water would appear where the flow had found a rock or some other obstruction and bubbled over it. Everything surrendered to the flow of the life giving water. At least for now. Caleb sat in the back of his lean to and munched on the last of the rabbit that had come to supper. The small fire that he had built struggled against the rain but it would soon be dark and he would shut down for the night anyway. He doubted that the hostiles that he had passed three days ago, had followed him this far, but one could never be certain of what hostiles would do. The rain covered the sound of any movement and

even thought he was hidden from view by the small shrubs and trees, he had left tracks and signs. The rain would wash most of them away but there would be others that a good tracker might locate and follow. He thought about building a raft and floating down the river that ran from the east end of the growing lake but not knowing what the river bed might look like, he decided against it and would continue on foot. Perhaps he could find another tribe of friendly indians and barter for a horse. Or steal one if the opportunity presented itself.

The day was coming to an end. Caleb was ready for sleep and had settled in for a cold rainy night. Perhaps tomorrow it would be better for travel, although the ground would be soft and leave lots of tracks for those that might have an interest in them. The rain had erased the gravel bed of the stream so that he either would have to walk in the water to hide his tracks or else leave a trail that a tenderfoot could follow in the dark. He would think on that come daylight. Then, out of the darkness came a sound of wood cracking and breaking, as if something, or someone careless, had stepped on a branch. What ever it was, it was large. The wood would be wet and not as brittle as it had been before the rain.

To be continued.....................

Caleb was still and listened. Again, another branch snapped. He reached slowly for his long gun. The darkness covered his movements and the fur that protected his body covered any sound. Slowly he pulled the rifle to his chest and sat upright on his bed of cedar branches. It was then that he saw it. Movement in between the trees

silhouetted against the lightning across the sky. The flash was so fast that it took him several minutes to realize that it was a man. His mind raced, what would a man be doing out here in the wilderness on a night like this, unless it was stalking someone or something, or he was in trouble. Caleb's mind raced. If he was stalking, his skills were near nonexistant. No true hunter or trapper would allow himself to walk so clumsy in the woods where there might be hostiles or bears unless he was in trouble.

Slowly, Caleb moved from his bed and silently found a station against a large rock just outside of his camp. With his back protected he decided that he would wait for dawn to see what or who had interupted his night.

The rain had ceased and a few stars were beginning to show. Time passed and slowly the sky to the east took on a bright glow. Morning was coming fast and perhaps then the mystery of the preceding night would be solved. The rabbit of the night before had begun to wear off and Caleb thoughts turned from the mystery to some jerky he had in his pack. However, his pack was over near his bed and he did not dare to move out of the protection of the rock since daylight was beginning to lighten the camp. He waited, and was rewarded with more daylight and soon the whole area was exposed to view. It was then that he saw it.........

to be continued.

Down by the steam, there he was. It was a man, dressed much as Caleb was, and he was lying face down and motionless, on the ground. A quick look around to take in all of the detail and to insure that there would be no surprises from anyone else that might have been a companion to the stranger. He was apparently alone and

from where Caleb stood, it was hard to see if he was alive or dead. He checked his rifle and cautiously walked over to where the stranger was lying. He touched him with his toe but there was no reaction from the man. He cautiously walked around to the other side and touched him with the barrel of his rifle. Still no reaction. He took his foot and rolled the man over on his back. He could see a large red stain on his leather shirt. At first he thought that the man

might be dead, but he detected a shallow breath. It was obvious that the man had been injured. A quick look around to insure that the two of them were alone, and then he drew the man into the bushes that protected his campsite from view. The man moaned once when he moved him, but otherwise was not responsive to his actions.

He quickly built a small fire and heated some stones in the coals. He removed the leather shirt from the man. Aside from being soaked to the skin from the rain the night before, there was a long red gash along the the muscle of his chest. It looked to be deep and long but the blood had dried and there was no evidence of further bleeding.

Caleb took the hot stones from the fire and placed them in to a small iron pan with some water from the stream.

In a short time the water was steaming and hot. He added some small lumps of dried meat and then turned to the man lying on the ground. He managed to prop him against a tree and began to rub his arms and legs to restore good circulations. His actions caused the man to briefly open his eyes and look around. Caleb could tell that there was no recognition of what surrounded the man, and then he again passed into unconsciousness. More rubbing and he soon began to show signs of coming around. He opened his eyes and Caleb took the hot broth and put the cup to his lips to drink. He sipped slowly at first and then the warmth of the broth brought some color to his face. He seemed to collect his reason and looked at Caleb with question on his face. He spoke and his voice was very weak. Caleb could hardly hear him or make out his words. He told the stranger that he had found him in his camp the night before and that he had been injured. He told the man not to talk and to rest. That there would be time for palaver later. He covered the man with some skins that were keep him warm and hung his wet shirt by the fire to dry. The sun was well up by this time. The day promised to be a beauty with warm breezes and bright sunshine.

Caleb, satisfied that the stranger was comfortable and warm, turned his attention to his growling stomach. He dined on some dried meat from his forage bag, and then prepared a snare for another rabbit that might venture by. The stranger began to snore quietly.

To be continued

Caleb studied the sleeping man. He had no way of knowing who he was or where he might have come from. His clothing was similar to Caleb's, but he had the appearance of a city dweller. His hair was cut short in the style of city dwellers and his hands were not calloused and rough like a hunter or miner. He reckoned that the fellow would clear all that up in good time, when he was stronger. It was time to redirect his attention to their situation. He was going to need fresh meat. He was not certain that he wanted to risk shooting with the possabalites of hostiles around, but he had seen no sigh of them for three, or was it four days now. Perhaps he could risk a single shot and a small fire to cook the meat.

While the man slept, Calab took his long gun and left the camp, looking for game. He did not have to travel far until he came upon fresh tracks leading to the lake at the bottom of the hill.

Tracking back he soon jumped a young doe and introduced her to camp meat. He field dressed her and carried her back to the campsite where he skinned and dressed out the carcass. When arrived at the camp the stranger was still sleeping peacefully. Caleb went

about his chores quietly, cooking some of the meat and cutting strips to dry in the sun. His attention to the deer had taken up most of his day and the sun was well past midday when he settled across the small campfire from the sleeping stranger. Chewing on a chunk of roasted meat, Caleb watched as the guest began to stir in his sleep and slowly opened his eyes. Caleb cut a small piece of meat from the chunk before him and offered it to the man. He reached for it with shaking hands, but pushed it into his mouth and began to chew with gusto. He smiled while he chewed and looked at Caleb with Gratitude. When he had finished he reached for another and Caleb cut a thins strip and gave it to the man. As he chewed, Calab told the man how he had come into his camp and asked who he was and where he came from.

To be continued.

Zeb set the record pretty high. I think he had a posting count of slightly over 50K. I do not recall the exact number. The man was the master of the chambers.

I would not seek to enter those hallowed halls.

BTT!! A waiting another installment. :unsure:

And now, a word from our sponsor.

DO YOU FEEL TIRED, RUN DOWN, LACK OF ENERGY AND INTEREST?

NO DESIRE TO STEP OUT AND STRUT YOUR STUFF?

IS YOUR LOVE LIFE IN THE DOLDRUMS?

WELL, I HAVE GOOD NEWS FOR YOU. TRY

BADGER MOUNTAIN CHARLIE'S

EXLIAR II.

JUST TWO OUNCES A DAY AND YOU WILL BE BACK IN THE PINK AGAIN!

And now, back to our story.

The stranger smiled and said that he had come all the way from back east to find a man wanted by the law.

Caleb was surprised. That was a long way to come to find one individual for whatever reason. It must have been very important to the man to find this person.

He said, "Stranger, there ain't no law out here. "

"A man can do what ever he wants, as long as he can back it up, and hold on to what he has."

The stranger smiled.

"Well," he said, "This individual is truly a desperado and needs to face the law". He continued his narrative. "I have come across the prairies and mountains, crossed rivers and through hostile indian lands." I will not be detered in my search for this man. "

Caleb digested all that the man said. He took another slice of meat from the fire and began to chew thoughtfully on it. He looked up at the stranger and said, "And just who is this outlaw that is so dangerous and what has he done.

The stranger looked thoughtful for a moment and smiled. When he announced the man's name, Caleb's face became a sheet of granite. He stopped chewing on the morsel and looked at the stranger but the man went on with his story.

"I have never met the man, but I have heard stories of his adventures. He is a powerful man, and a dead shot with a long gun. He has killed with his bare hands when pressed by others. "

"His true name is Caleb Wilson, but he just goes by the name of Caleb."

"He left St. Louis and went west to the mountains in 1845 and nobody has heard much of

him since."

Caleb was astounded to learn that he was wanted by the law. He could not recall anything in his past that would cause someone to go to such efforts to find him and attempt to bring him to justice. He asked the next question.

" And just what is this hard case wanted for?"

The man looked thoughtful and said.

He has two library books that are over due.

Caleb brought up the long gun and shot the stranger point blank.

TheEnd.

Grizz's belly growled so loudly he was sure it would give away his position. The smell of roasted veneson reminded him that it had been way too long since he'd eaten much of anything. He'd been watching Caleb with the stranger. He'd known Caleb for some time and called him friend, and would share his campfire with the man any day or night, but the man seemed to have demons lurking deep inside that he never talked about.

He couldn't hear all of what was said, but he did get the idea that the man was hunting Caleb, though he didn't know him by sight, obviously.

At the mention of overdue library books, Caleb brought up his long gun and ventilated the man, it caught Grizz off guard so much that he'd lost his footing and gone sprawling head over heels down the embankment towards Calebs camp.

Archived