SASS Wire Forum

An alternative to the Dillon Powder Check

A few years back I switched from a Dillon 550 to a Dillon 650 largely because of the extra station to run a powder check. Yes, I really like the case feeder and the auto advance on the shell plate too. The only "problem" I've found that I don't really care for is sometimes when I'm really rockin' out ammo, the electronic alarm in the Dillon Powder Check will bounce and "chirp" making me wonder if there is a problem. When this happens, I stop and weigh the powder and every time when it's only been a "chirp," it's always been okay. For anyone who wonders, whenever there has been a real problem with an improper powder drop (which has been extremely rare), the Dillon Powder Check has not only "chirped," but has given a continuous alarm.

Some time ago I learned of the RCBS Lock-out Die that works on the Dillon (and other progressive presses as well.) Essentially, it takes out the uncertainty of listening for an audible alarm and instead locks the press up. Beyond that, it's less expensive than the Dillon Powder Check.

For anyone who would like to take a look, here is a video showing how to set up the RCBS Lock-out Die on a Dillon 650. To me the video wasn't overly clear about 3 minutes and 19 seconds into the video. What you are witnessing is the press locking up when when the die "thinks" the amount of powder is not correct. He adjusts it (remember the powder in the case is known to be correct) and the press then will complete the stroke. The RCBS Lock-out Die will stop the press whether the powder is low or high.

I'm buying one for my 650 and thus far this is the best deal I have found on one ($48.99 shipped). If someone knows of a better deal, please post it.

Yep, I like the RCBS powder check. I can usually find room to install it on my 550, too, when loading smokeless...just requires using a combined seat/crimp die.

Good luck, GJ

I am a huge, huge fan of the RCBS lockout die. Once it is set correctly for your powder charge, you are virtually guaranteed the round will go bang properly and you never have to look in the case. Awesome. Just keep on loading. Once in a great while the lockout die will stop you, and you just take that case off the press and set it aside to look at and fix later.

Midway has these for $44.99 - buy a couple and use the $10 off coupons that come up periodically.

I'm a big fan of the RCBS Lockout Die. When I decided to buy a progressive press I limited my search to five station presses so that I could use one station to confirm powder level before seating a bullet.

Hornady and RCBS both make a die that monitors the powder level. Hornady's is a "Powder Cop" and the RCBS version is the "Powder Check Die". These have a rod with an index mark that gives you a visual indication of the powder level. Problem is that it requires the operator to watch the rod on every stroke. I have other things occupying my attention when operating the press. The RCBS Lockout Die operates automatically and stops you dead if it detects a problem.

My press is a Hornady LNL-AP. The powder measure is case activated and since the press has an auto index, it is less likely that you would have a squib or a double charge with this setup, assuming everything is adjusted properly. When I set it up with the Lockout Die I first wondered whether it was really necessary after all. In one of my first loading sessions I am rolling along and "clunk"-the ram stopped before I got the handle all the way down. My first thought was that there was something in the fired case in station one that was blocking the decapping pin. After more inspection I found the problem-a .357 case had gotten mixed up with the .38 Special cases I was loading. The Lockout Die detected that the powder level was low (if you watch the video you can see that it measures from the case mouth). That was one well expanded case by the way. In another later session the die activated again; I believe my powder was "bridging" in the measure causing a light charge. The RCBS Lockout Die may have saved me some grief. In my mind it has paid for itself and it's well worth the cost.

Midway has these for $44.99 - buy a couple and use the $10 off coupons that come up periodically.

How would someone go about getting their grubby paws on of those $10 off coupons? Apparently the company that had it on eBay for $48.99 shipped has either sold all they had (10 originally) or has just decided it was too cheap because they discontinued the "auction."

I think I just solved the mystery. I'm guessing the seller on eBay was Optics Planet. Click here to buy from them for (guess how much) $48.99 shipped. They always have free shipping on orders over $29.95, but right now they also have 10% off on orders over $75.00. You have to enter the coupon code (NEWSITE10) during checkout in order to get it.

I wrote something some time ago about the gun cases I buy from them. I use them for my cowboy long guns and any other long gun up to 42". The 42" case will hold a 73 with an 18" barrel, but unfortunately they don't have one of the inexpensive cases for a 20" rifle that needs a 44" case. Click here to see a link to the NcStar cases I use.

I have the Hornady Powder Cop and did not like it. I didn't minnd the fact I had to watch it. I just didn't like the powder sticking to the measuring rod.

How would that work on a 550B? I can't find a crimp seating die combo? Is that a special order die, or a different die than Dillon?

Thanks, Drover

You won't find Dillon making a combination seat-crimp die in their sets. A shame. But, there is a good reason they have seater separate from crimper - that you can have a quick drop out to clean capability on the seater, which tends to fill up with bullet lube.

Don't think you have looked hard if you can't find a different brand of dies that use a combination seater-crimper die for pistol calibers. Almost all of them do (except Dillon). One of my favorites is the RCBS (either standard set or cowboy type die). From the larger suppliers on-line you can buy individual dies instead of the whole 3 die set if you want. Saves a little money.

Like this is the .38 special RCBS cowboy die by itself from Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/203093/rcbs-cowboy-roll-crimp-seater-die-38-special-357-magnum

It's shown out of stock right now. Other suppliers probably have it, though. Or, you can order from RCBS themselves, too.

The standard RCBS seat-crimp die is:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/156222/rcbs-roll-crimp-seater-die-38-special-357-magnum

Which is a fine die, too. As are Hornady, Redding, and Lyman. Lee, well, not my cuppa tea.

Good luck, GJ

Hey Mr. Garrison Joe,

How would that work on a 550B? I can't find a crimp seating die combo? Is that a special order die, or a different die than Dillon?

Thanks, Drover

Hey Knob Creek you will need a RCBS die set to do that. I have loaded thousands of rounds with that set up.

Ketchum Quick

For whatever reason, one set of my dies with the RCBS lockout will hang up going into the case sometimes. It will usually go if I reach it and rotate the case and wiggle it, sorta like it needs to "find itself". I use two sets of dies in my 650, one set up for pistol, the other for rifle. The set with the Dillon powder check never gives a problem. Probably gonna buy another Dillon unless somebody wants to trade a Dillon powder check for an RCBS lockout die... :)

For whatever reason, one set of my dies with the RCBS lockout will hang up going into the case sometimes. It will usually go if I reach it and rotate the case and wiggle it, sorta like it needs to "find itself". I use two sets of dies in my 650, one set up for pistol, the other for rifle. The set with the Dillon powder check never gives a problem. Probably gonna buy another Dillon unless somebody wants to trade a Dillon powder check for an RCBS lockout die... :)

Louie -

The RCBS lockout die is sensitive to misalignment of the case under the die - it has to be well centered so that the plunger foot can drop down into the case, rather than catching on the edge of the case mouth. Catching early causes the die to lock up. And, it's possible to damage the plastic plunger foot - tearing out small sections and leaving it rough. And, make sure you use the small foot for under 40 caliber - the larger foot is very hard to get into those smaller cases wacko.gif

Why on Dillon presses could you have misalignment problems? A loose shell plate, a worn out shell plate, indexing a 550 by hand and leaving it slightly off the station "center", or indexing the 650 really fast or with a dirty indexing "lock" ball.

The RCBS lock out die also has to be cleaned occasionally. I dump the assembled die in a bowl of brake cleaner, work the plunger and the stop plate up and down inside the die body, and then blow out with air and let dry. That really helps with "false lock ups". But, then again, on my 650, I've got an RCBS lock out die that has loaded about 12,000 .38 spl rounds since I last had to clean or set it. And it VERY rarely gives me a false lockup. So, I haven't messed with it.

Good luck, GJ

I have the Hornady Powder Cop and did not like it. I didn't minnd the fact I had to watch it. I just didn't like the powder sticking to the measuring rod.

Strange :blink: I use the Hornady powder Cop and never had that problem..... I really like it. Maybe the powder I use, real BP, Red Dot, Clays.....plus I clean up with Dry Slide (graphite), and I removed the nylon guide....works great. Good Luck :)

Hornady Powder Cop

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Hey Knob Creek you will need a RCBS die set to do that. I have loaded thousands of rounds with that set up.

Ketchum Quick

With a seating/crimping die in station #4 is it difficult to place the bullet on the case? It would seem awkward with the bullet tray on the left hand side.

With a seating/crimping die in station #4 is it difficult to place the bullet on the case? It would seem awkward with the bullet tray on the left hand side.

I just reach through the 550 frame with the left hand. Don't slam the handle down, though! You get used to it. You are working both the left hand with slug setting and the right hand feeding next case, so it still goes pretty fast. Couple hundred an hour with primer tubes pre-loaded.

Good luck, GJ

Come on... set the bullet on station #3 then turn the shell plate. Lower the handle and raise the handle, seat another in station #3, put an empty in station #1 and repeat.

KQ

I much prefer the Hornady seating die to the RCBS die. The sliding bullet guide prevents starting or seating a bullet crooked, much like the Redding competition dies.

This is a great aid when using the RCBS lockout die, and placing the bullet on the case at station 3 before turning the shell plate and seating the bullet at station 4.

RBK

Well I decided to jump off completely. I load both .38's (75%) and .32's (25%) and was going to replace the Dillon on .38's and put it permanently (I had been moving it) on the .32's, but decided to bite the bullet :D and buy two RCBS Lock-out Dies. Deeeeee-livered from Optics Planet for $88.18 ($44.09 each). The Dillon Powder Check is going to eBay.

Well I decided to jump off completely. I load both .38's (75%) and .32's (25%) and was going to replace the Dillon on .38's and put it permanently (I had been moving it) on the .32's, but decided to bite the bullet :D and buy two RCBS Lock-out Dies. Deeeeee-livered from Optics Planet for $88.18 ($44.09 each). The Dillon Powder Check is going to eBay.

I load for the same calibers as you. Will it work in the .32? I ordered one from Midway and it should be here tomorrow. I'm interested in trying it as I'm new to the 550 and had a bunch of rounds with no powder in them. The little blue wingnut had come loose and wasn't operating the "fail safe" arm properly and I didn't realize it. Funny, I never ever had any problems with the Square D. I've heard of a learning curve but I'm getting more of a learning knuckle ball. :lol:

I load for the same calibers as you. Will it work in the .32? I ordered one from Midway and it should be here tomorrow. I'm interested in trying it as I'm new to the 550 and had a bunch of rounds with no powder in them. The little blue wingnut had come loose and wasn't operating the "fail safe" arm properly and I didn't realize it. Funny, I never ever had any problems with the Square D. I've heard of a learning curve but I'm getting more of a learning knuckle ball. :lol:

Good catch. I will not work on the 32 as the smallest caliber it can be used on is 9mm. I guess I'll be keeping the Dillon Powder Check for .32.

Good catch. I will not work on the 32 as the smallest caliber it can be used on is 9mm. I guess I'll be keeping the Dillon Powder Check for .32.

Buck,

I have one for .32s that I used when Tessa Two Gunner shot that caliber. We are no longer using it. PM me and we can talk about making one work for you or making a trade if you are interested.

KQ

Archived