SASS Wire Forum

New shooter question 1897

Dirty Mike

I pull 4 shells to engage four targets. I miss one. I pull two more. I hit the last target on the first shot. I have one left in my hand. What do I do with it? Stick it in my pocket?

If the SG is your last firearm to be used on the stage, just put it back in your belt (or pocket, if thats where you keep your shells).

You can lay it on the table and the brass pickers can bring it back to you at the ULT.

IF it is a range that does not penalize you for dropping live rounds, feel free to just drop it.....especially if you have another firearm to use to finish your stage.

..........Widder

If the SG is your last firearm to be used on the stage, just put it back in your belt (or pocket, if thats where you keep your shells).

You can lay it on the table and the brass pickers can bring it back to you at the ULT.

IF it is a range that does not penalize you for dropping live rounds, feel free to just drop it.....especially if you have another firearm to use to finish your stage.

..........Widder

Penalty for dropping live rounds? I don't think I've ever been to a match where someone did not drop at least 1 shotgun shell, not counting myself, and I've done it plenty of times. Never seen anyone have any kind of a penalty called for it.

Penalty for dropping live rounds? I don't think I've ever been to a match where someone did not drop at least 1 shotgun shell, not counting myself, and I've done it plenty of times. Never seen anyone have any kind of a penalty called for it.

Hi H.K.,

Someone mentioned on the Wire, a while ago, that they encountered a club that penalizes it.

I've never seen it penalized. However, I picked up an extra round shucked by a sxs shooter and tossed it to him. He cautioned me that it was dangerous to toss shells. :rolleyes: They walk among us. ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

I can tell you of at least 2 clubs that will!! They make you shoot any shell that's loaded!

my info was simple and legit. Don't know what else to say.

As a new shooter and asking a good question, I answered with pertinent info that I hope will help him.

I'd do the same for you.

..........Widder

As a new shooter and asking a good question, I answered with pertinent info that I hope will help him.

I'd do the same for you.

..........Widder

Thanks everybody!!! Answered my question. I guess you just have to check if the club had specific rules against dropping a live round.

I'd do the same for you.

..........Widder

Oh, it is very much a good question. And I in no way disupte that the penalty has been called somewhere. I was just REALLY surprised by it. I guess you learn something new every day.

And yes, the question about what to do with the extra round was a good one too. My response would have been to just drop it, as others had already said, so I saw no reason to repeat it. It never would have occured to me that there might be a penalty for doing so.

Phantom,

I'm tryin to learn some of those tricks. ..... :o

some of the really good '97 shooters can have that following shell in the chamber before the ejected shell falls 2-3 feet from port. And, quite often, followup loads can be placed in the chamber before the target has time to react and fall. Its probable that on a good run, especially when the SG is last, a good '97 shooter will automatically throw that extra round in the port.....just in case something didn't go down as planned.

..........Widder

Phantom,

I'm tryin to learn some of those tricks. ..... :o

some of the really good '97 shooters can have that following shell in the chamber before the ejected shell falls 2-3 feet from port. And, quite often, followup loads can be placed in the chamber before the target has time to react and fall. Its probable that on a good run, especially when the SG is last, a good '97 shooter will automatically throw that extra round in the port.....just in case something didn't go down as planned.

..........Widder

If the SG is the last gun shot...it's always a good idea to act as though you need another shot...but if not, then the balancing act is always called for.

;)

Well,

The balancing the shell routine must just be for folks shooting '97's. Not part of SMO for double barrels. Is there a secret handshake y'all as well?

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Well,

The balancing the shell routine must just be for folks shooting '97's. Not part of SMO for double barrels. Is there a secret handshake y'all as well?

Hasta Luego, Keystone

The key to the SXS is to pull three...that leaves one for the balancing act...takes practice, but the circus go'ers love it!

Well,

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Keystone,

'97 shooters can neither confirm nor deny a secret handshake. ^_^

..........Widder

I can tell you of at least 2 clubs that will!! They make you shoot any shell that's loaded!

That's a darn shame.........lol. I would feel like I was walking on eggshells. Throw one out with the rifle, dinged, pull three use two, dinged, have a single make-up with a SXS, dinged (or waste it and add time to yer' run), run & lose one from your belt, dinged, have a glitch with a 97 and throw a live one out dinged, try a rifle re-load and drop it dinged......and......well you get my point.

I guess they are concerned of the round going off when it hits the ground? While I guess that "could" happen you have a 1,000,000 times greater chance of getting hurt getting to the range.....or slipping in the shower for that matter......I realize it's probably not their call and some ranger master is making the call but maybe an education is needed here.

Do they sell 16 oz soda's there!

The key to the SXS is to pull three...that leaves one for the balancing act...takes practice, but the circus go'ers love it!

REALLY good SXS shooters start off pulling three and keep that spare one balance throught their entire run. ;)

I pull 4 shells to engage four targets. I miss one. I pull two more. I hit the last target on the first shot. I have one left in my hand. What do I do with it? Stick it in my pocket?

Stick the end of it in your mouth and hold it.

But, shooter is not carrying it, just holding it so as to not let it fall on the ground, land on its primer and blow a hole in his foot. :lol:

You may now carry ammo anyway/where you want to...as long as you don't USE it during the stage if not brought to the stage in an "approved manner"; (REF: SHB pp.10-11)

...then it is considered "illegally acquired ammo" with a "P" + miss(es) penalty.

Jackie,

It's naughty to mislead new shooters. :rolleyes: Someone could actually take your comments seriously. :unsure:;)

Allie Mo

Miss Allie, the comments were meant to be serious. See post above for verification. :)

If the cartridge or shell is not contained in a chamber it is harmless if dropped and the primer hits a rock. I have seen this happen before. A jailer was carrying her 50 rounds of qualiying 38 special (back in the wheelgun days) in a plastic bag and dropped it. One primer impacted an adjacent rim. The case ruptured but the projectile went nowhere. Unless contained by a chamber, ammo is harmless when it goes off. Oh you may get a cut from the jagged ruptured brass but that's it.

Same as when rounds cook off in a fire. The projectile goes nowhere.

So the folks who have this rule are being too cautious needlessly.

If the cartridge or shell is not contained in a chamber it is harmless if dropped and the primer hits a rock. I have seen this happen before. A jailer was carrying her 50 rounds of qualiying 38 special (back in the wheelgun days) in a plastic bag and dropped it. One primer impacted an adjacent rim. The case ruptured but the projectile went nowhere. Unless contained by a chamber, ammo is harmless when it goes off. Oh you may get a cut from the jagged ruptured brass but that's it.

Same as when rounds cook off in a fire. The projectile goes nowhere.

So the folks who have this rule are being too cautious needlessly.

Besides, with all that weight up front, a SG shell would land front-first.

Archived