SASS Wire Forum

%@#& S and B Brass

Cypress Sun

Seems like no matter what, one piece of S & B brass always makes it's way into the brass bucket. Once it's in there, it breeds and makes others. Every reloading run, I always waste at least one primer to this invasive species........AARG.

CS

CS:

I know zackly what you mean. BUT, I prime my cases on the RCBS table mounted primer only press and it helps.

I do have to use alittle more strength when priming these type cases but atleast they are still usable.

I wouldn't want to prime them with one of our hand primers.

..........Widder

Not familier with S&B brass, what makes it difficult? Do they crimp in primers like GI Brass?

If so a touch with your deburring tool can fix it. That was my solution to GI brass when shooting high power. Used the Lee depriming tool and a hammer to get original primer out. Most die set decappers can break on mil brass.

The problem - S&B primer pockets in their .38 spl brass are made a few thousandths tighter than is standard. Not crimped, just tight (and usually a red lacquer waterproofing has been applied, too).

Dillon primer pocket super swager 600 will fix em right up. If you just have a few, an RCBS primer pocket uniforming hand tool will cut the pocket to US size.

As in lots of other types of brass that is not manufactured completely to SAAMI standard, though, the problem is not fixing it, it's spotting the offending brass before you try to load it. After you find it, then you can either fix it or scrap it.

And with the low price on that Czech ammo, you will probably continue to see a lot of the brass around.

Good luck, GJ

Wow! I have never had a problem with S&B Brass....

I've cussed them for several years. A 1050 will mash a primer flat on top when an if its able to seat one in those cussed cases. A month ago I had a primer pop while seating it in an SOB case.

RRR

Had same problem, my 550 would mash Federal Primers. My fix was found S&B primers. Some of my Pards ask why mess with them? My answer was didn't want to scrap 1,500 peices of once fired brass!

I have reloaded a lot of S&B brass in 9mm with no problem.

+1 On that, didn't realize there was a problem

Kinda liked the stuff in the .380 and 9mm, but haven't loaded any of it on my Dillon - good to be aware of.

Yep - that S&B brass sure does mess up a primer system - they will accept primers in a separate bench-mounted (RCBS) or hand-held system, but for progressive presses, they're trouble.

The saving grace is, that their primers are brass-colored. Since I try to inspect every case before cycling them, if I come across an S&B with a brass-colored primer, I automatically cull it, deprime it separately, and use a primer-pocket reamer that Forster makes to be used with their trimmer (this really doesn't take that long). Then I can cycle it thru my progressive, and since my primers are silver colored, I never need worry about that case again. I find that otherwise, these S&B cases are very tough and last forever thru many reloadings.

FWIW, Doc

Archived