SASS Wire Forum

Aluminum truck box

Not bad, unless the bad guy has a crowbar or a portable drill and a piece of wire to fish the lock mechanism from the inside. Then, it's 2 minutes max to get in. So, it only keeps out the really dumb ones who will hopefully move on to something else or make enough noise to be captured (or ventilated).

Less secure than a cheap gun safe, except for the fact it is bolted down to an object that can be made to move rather easily.

Good luck, GJ

I think would ne better than them plastic ones either way I would only store emergency tools

+ 1

I've got one on my truck. It wouldn't take much to get into it but it does keep things dry and out of site. The thief would have to have something to pry with to get it open. It's better than nothing. I store jumper cables, a few inexpensive but useful tools and a log chain in mine. Just stuff that I don't want rolling around in the cab of the truck.

Locks only serve to keep honest people honest. A thief will always find a way around them.

Having said that, I had a cross bed tool box on my old Ford for 12 years, and always had tools,

jumper cables & etc. in it. It was never broken into. Perhaps I was just lucky.

The real danger with one of these boxes is that it can become a catchall.

Duffield

Hi Tom,

Hubby had his tools stolen from one at night in downtown Sacramento when it was parked next to our house. It was even on the same side of the house as our bedroom, which was on the third story. We didn't hear a thing. Then, parking on the street carries risks. I had one of my wheel well covers stolen off of my car too.

I guess they are only as good as the lock you use and where you park it. It is probably safer than leaving stuff inside the cab.

Regards,

Allie

I don't want a rail to rail, just something to put the "truck stuff" (rope, a few cheap hand tools, a cargo net, rain suit, etc, that are now stored under the back seat. When I travel with the guns, they sit exposed to view in the back seat. I want the guns UNDER the seat.

Duffield, that's kinda what I want, a catchall box.

TF

I've got one on my truck. It wouldn't take much to get into it but it does keep things dry and out of site. The thief would have to have something to pry with to get it open. It's better than nothing. I store jumper cables, a few inexpensive but useful tools and a log chain in mine. Just stuff that I don't want rolling around in the cab of the truck.

+1...mine was given to me by a friend and it serves the purppose you describe perfectly. I hope to get a black aluminum one someday and when I do it will be the best - WEATHERGUARD.

For in-cab under seat rifle storage storage look into:

http://www.duhabox.com/

Also, for truck beds....

There are some steel boxes that are like vaults with recessed lock abilities that would take some time, and some tools to break in. I know a couple professionals that have these and they keep expensive stuff in them, but even they say that if a thier REALLY wants it they will find a way to get it.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

+1...mine was given to me by a friend and it serves the purppose you describe perfectly. I hope to get a black aluminum one someday and when I do it will be the best - WEATHERGUARD.

For in-cab under seat rifle storage storage look into:

http://www.duhabox.com/

Also, for truck beds....

There are some steel boxes that are like vaults with recessed lock abilities that would take some time, and some tools to break in. I know a couple professionals that have these and they keep expensive stuff in them, but even they say that if a thier REALLY wants it they will find a way to get it.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I've got a Duhabox under the back seat, but it's full of the stuff I want to move to a bed box

TF

Tom I've got a DeeZee brand diamond plate one on the Dakota, never woried about anything kept in there but mainly its just misc stuff. Nice thing is I can toss stuff in it I dont want sliding around in the bed of the truck or in the cargo area of the cab. Cant guarantee this but was told by a Mass pard that transporting guns in it, locked and seperate from ammo, satisfied state requirements for locked case/container.

If I were to leave guns in it for a pit stop etc the vehicle would be parked somewhere I could watch it. Nice thing is cases are out of sight, badguy can peak in the window see something they want and bust the glass to get it.

Originally mounted it on previous truck and I took measurements, grease pencil marks blah blah blah to make sure it was mounted just so. When I switched it over to the second truck the guys at the dealership took maybe 2 minutes to do the same job. They put it in place, one guy stepped back about 5 yards, held out one arm and eyeballed it down his extended arm. Dang if it wasnt just about perfect. :P

Get a construction "gang box", paint it the same color as your truck, and bolt it down to the bed. They aren't shiny, they are much tougher and more difficult to breach. I've had just about every type of tool box available and the cross bed boxes are convenient, but not very secure, they all have low end locking systems. Gang boxes can be equipped with heavy master locks and the placement of the locks are integrated into the box.

LL' :FlagAm:

I have purchased three of the aluminum boxes for storage items. The one I have installed now is a diamond plate purchased from Auto Zone. It goes from side to side but mounts to the floor and not the bed rails. This allows me to have my tonneau cover.

Use the large fender washers on both sides of your mounting bolts so that they can't be pried.

After it's installed buy a hasp that has the bolting system covered and place it in the center. This gives me more protection than a smash and run thief is willing to stay around and defeat. The tonneau cover has locks on both sides that must be defeated before the box's contents are stolen.

I also only put Harbour Freight tools in the box as they will do fine for any roadside repair.

I never leave any firearm in my truck.

The smart thieves know that the truck guys usually have guns and they go under the seat first. If you are from out of state then your vehicle will be hit first. Why, because the thieves know if they are caught you will more than likely not return for court and they will walk.

This is from my 15 years of being a LEO.

My son borrowed a 9MM from me to go to Texas and Arizona. He left it in the truck and the window was busted out and it was stolen. I told him not to leave it in the truck but you with children will understand.

Archived