SASS Wire Forum

Shotguns and rubber pads

Eben Auds

Howdy!

I am a newb to CAS/SASS, and I'm looking to get a shotgun. I already have to Pietta Westerners, and a '92 clone, but no period shotgun.

Looking around, I see a lot of the Stoegers and Baikals (and probably others) have rubber recoil pads. As someone who does other historical reenactments with a lot of thread counters, I tend to lean towards historical accuracy. I don't think rubber recoil pads existed (although vulcanization started about 1839), so I'm curious how this works. I suppose worst case I could cover it with leather. Am I right in thinking I should avoid the rubber recoil pads (or just remove them, if possible)?

I've also noticed that none of those are modeled after a specific firearm from the era, but they seems popular. Am I over-thinking this aspect?

1) A lot of your questions will be answered in the Shooter's Handbook, or by GOING TO A MATCH before you start buying lots of guns and accessories.

2) Yes, rubber recoil pads are allowed on long guns. You can also use slip-on rubber pads, slip on leather pads, lace-on pads and covers. Handbook lays out the possibilities.

3) We are not a re-enactment group, we're a shooting group shooting guns of the Old West.

4) If you see lots of other folks doing something, usually it's because they have all found out already that it is allowed under our rules. We don't have lots of folks who are intentionally trying to break the SASS rules.

You will save LOTS of money, frustration, time and delay by going to a few local matches and asking questions. They will probably force guns on you and get you shooting. SASS pards are just that way, bless their hearts.

And yes, you are over-thinking and applying your own artificial restrictions which are not appropriate or necessary.

Good luck, GJ

1) A lot of your questions will be answered in the Shooter's Handbook, or by GOING TO A MATCH before you start buying lots of guns and accessories.

2) Yes, rubber recoil pads are allowed on long guns. You can also use slip-on rubber pads, slip on leather pads, lace-on pads and covers. Handbook lays out the possibilities.

3) We are not a re-enactment group, we're a shooting group shooting guns of the Old West.

4) If you see lots of other folks doing something, usually it's because they have all found out already that it is allowed under our rules. We don't have lots of folks who are intentionally trying to break the SASS rules.

You will save LOTS of money, frustration, time and delay by going to a few local matches and asking questions. They will probably force guns on you and get you shooting. SASS pards are just that way, bless their hearts.

And yes, you are over-thinking and applying your own artificial restrictions which are not appropriate or necessary.

Good luck, GJ

Sound advice, although comes across a little harsh. I appreciate the help, anyway.

At any rate, I read the manual, and I didn't see anything about rubber recoil pads. Doesn't mean I didn't miss it.

Thanks again!

Sound advice, although comes across a little harsh. I appreciate the help, anyway.

At any rate, I read the manual, and I didn't see anything about rubber recoil pads. Doesn't mean I didn't miss it.

Thanks again!

Hi Eben,

Don't mind Joe. He's usually quite nice and very knowledgable. I thought that last sentence especially was out of line and out of character for him. :blink:

Anyway, WELCOME!

Regards,

Allie Mo

As to being historically correct, the sport doesn't not require nor does it inhibit it. Many of my pards work to follow the historical side and enjoy that part.

So feel feel to research the history and follow as much as the rules allow. SASS doesn't include all historically correct items, but more of the "image" most have of the period, especially the West.

I think the hard butt plate such as metal or some very early hard plastic was used for the majority of shotguns of the period. It would be interesting to hear the history of the butt bad of the era and I'm thinking some on the wire may well know it.

P.S.

A few folks would like to require everyone to follow their favorite ideas. Historical accuracy is one of those areas some have tried to force - thus some negative reaction. But nearly all do enjoy when folks work to seek historical clothing, guns, etc and share it in an inclusive manner.

So do your research, find what you enjoy and join the fun!!

Can I then kindly refer you to this section of the Shooter's handbook, then?

A permanently fitted, non-adjustable, lace on, or slip on recoil pad is allowed on the buttstock of rifles and shotguns

Good luck, GJ

• A permanently fitted, non-adjustable, lace on, or slip on recoil pad is allowed on the buttstock of rifles and shotguns.

• Buttplates may be changed to a buttplate style that was generally available from the original manufacturer.

• A piece of leather or similar natural material may be attached to the buttplate or butt stock.

SHB p.3

Howdy Eben, and Welcome. Yes recoil pads are allowed, start going to some local matches and someone will hand you a shotgun to use. Might even find you a good used one for sale while yer looking. No thread counters here.......well mabe a few :huh: , but if we find them we kick dirt on thier shoes like a baseball umpire that's made a bad call :o:lol::D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Great topic.

These short, light weight shotguns that many of us use do have

a fair amount of perceived recoil.

Certainly, you can buy 1 - try it - and then decide if you need

a pad of some sort. You can go to light weight loads (1 ounce - or

even 7/8 ounce) - or - even a 20 gauge (or 16 gauge). But - if you

are getting beat-up by your shotgun - it is NO FUN.

I have a Baikal side by side and it kicks. I installed a rubber recoil

pad - and I don't worry about the historical accuracy of it - it keeps

me from getting beat-up - and - to me - that is more important than

having a bruise on my shoulder all week.

Humbly submitted,

Boneyard Bill

As to being historically correct, the sport doesn't not require nor does it inhibit it. Many of my pards work to follow the historical side and enjoy that part.

So feel feel to research the history and follow as much as the rules allow. SASS doesn't include all historically correct items, but more of the "image" most have of the period, especially the West.

I think the hard butt plate such as metal or some very early hard plastic was used for the majority of shotguns of the period. It would be interesting to hear the history of the butt bad of the era and I'm thinking some on the wire may well know it.

P.S.

A few folks would like to require everyone to follow their favorite ideas. Historical accuracy is one of those areas some have tried to force - thus some negative reaction. But nearly all do enjoy when folks work to seek historical clothing, guns, etc and share it in an inclusive manner.

So do your research, find what you enjoy and join the fun!!

Thanks! It's mostly just a habit from the RevWar stuff I do. I suppose if I thought about it, there's a whole category for "B" westerns, so how accurate could it be? ;p

Can I then kindly refer you to this section of the Shooter's handbook, then?

Good luck, GJ

SHB p.3

Thanks! I do recall that part now, but it didn't say anything about rubber specifically, one way or the other. But knowing what I know now, I'll consider that question resolved as well!

And I will definitely try to get to some matches soon, although my area isn't a hotbed of CAS. There are a couple of groups within a 90 minute drive or so, and one major event in July I already planned on visiting (probbaly not competing yet).

Thanks! It's mostly just a habit from the RevWar stuff I do. I suppose if I thought about it, there's a whole category for "B" westerns, so how accurate could it be? ;p

Thanks! I do recall that part now, but it didn't say anything about rubber specifically, one way or the other. But knowing what I know now, I'll consider that question resolved as well!

And I will definitely try to get to some matches soon, although my area isn't a hotbed of CAS. There are a couple of groups within a 90 minute drive or so, and one major event in July I already planned on visiting (probbaly not competing yet).

Big mistake. Load up your guns and go. Should hit a couople of locals first but go to the big one.

Recoil pads and political correctness. We shoot our shotguns more in a morning than a cowboy in the old west would do in a month. He would have had a recoil pad.

We here in the northeast welcome you. There are several good clubs in NH,MA, And ME. The Northeast regionals are in your bak yard. There are lots of us here in northern NE that would like to see you at a match and all will be willing to help.

Well my plan is to go to Pelham. I guess I may as well shoot, what the heck, right?

I think the closest club is out in Exeter though.

I wonder why there's no club in Pelham, since the match is in Pelham.

Howdy

As already mentioned, CAS is not historical re-enactment. It is a fantasy shooting sport. We don't allow any thread counters.

I see you are just a few miles up the river (and across the state line) from me.

There will be a match at Candia NH on April 15 and another one at Country Pond in Newton NH on April 22. Do try and show up to see what it is all about.

You might want to check out Piney Woods Place, he has the schedule of all the events in the North East.

Piney Woods Place

The White Mtn Regulators In Candia might be closer. The range in Pelum is large enough to hold the regionals. And those large mathches are a LOT of work. Many clubs that do a large match find they dont have time for more. My club has been doing the ME state shoot and we dont have a monthly type match for the 2 months prior to the state shoot.

Bookmarked that page, thanks.

April is tough because of the RevWar reenactments. Battle Road in Concord, MA is on the 14th, and I think I have some sort of thing the following weekend, but if I don't I'll come out.

Sorry for the double post, but....

The White Mtn Regulators In Candia might be closer. The range in Pelum is large enough to hold the regionals. And those large mathches are a LOT of work. Many clubs that do a large match find they dont have time for more. My club has been doing the ME state shoot and we dont have a monthly type match for the 2 months prior to the state shoot.

Yeah! Candia would actually be perfect, it's not far from my house at all.

I wonder why that didn't show on SASS' official website.

Rubber butt pads get tangled up in my shirt and braces. Putting just a little twist on there when the gun is mounted sometimes results in the pad getting stuck to shirt.

Such pads, as noted, are very popular. But, they sure goof me up sometimes.

Was watching international bird match the other day. Those folks shoot hundreds of Nitro 27s every day and don't seem any the worse for wear. Their shotguns fit really well, though.

Pads, we don't need no stinking pads.

There is a Kick-eze pad for low mount technique. It has a clipped top edge. It seems to be very popular among cabouy shooters. One noted shotgun guru puts them on all his wears. They are least obtrusive in appearance. They also, in my experience, seem to stick the least, especially when you get some trail dust on 'em. But, they do still get tangled up now and again.

Bake Lite, the choice for clock radios, coffee cups, and shotgun butt plates.

Well my plan is to go to Pelham. I guess I may as well shoot, what the heck, right?

I think the closest club is out in Exeter though.

I wonder why there's no club in Pelham, since the match is in Pelham.

Pelham Fish and Game is the site of the annual Great Nor'Easter, which is the SASS regional match for New England. Other than the Great Nor'Easter, I am not aware of any regularly scheduled CAS events there. There were regular matches there a few years ago, but things change as time goes on. The matches at Exeter are held at the Sig Sauer shooting facility. They do not have a sponsoring CAS club, but some locals have been able to arrange some matches there. If you feel like crossing the border, check out the events in Harvard Mass.

Battle Road in Concord, MA is on the 14th,

Gee, what happened in Concord in April?

It's a rhetorical question, I used to live there.

At any rate, I read the manual, and I didn't see anything about rubber recoil pads. Doesn't mean I didn't miss it...

This reminds me of yesterday at the grocery store. I don't shop in this particular store often. I was looking for something and didn't see it. So, I asked a clerk. I was standing right in front of it. :blink::lol:

I think if a rubber slip on pad seems non period to you but if this is needed due to the gun recoil, you can put on this pad a buckskin laced cover or thin rough out leather to hide the "ugly" look of the rubber.

The pad cannot be seen, the pad protects your shoulder and the bucksin cover is perfectly period stock cover. More, the bucskin or roughout leather will help to hold the gun shouldered and makes it not slippering.

This reminds me of yesterday at the grocery store. I don't shop in this particular store often. I was looking for something and didn't see it. So, I asked a clerk. I was standing right in front of it. :blink::lol:

You do your grocery shopping on Thursday? That right there oughta be a 'P'.

^_^^_^^_^

:wub:

..........Widder

I think that one reason that you see a lot of rubber buttpads is that when you cut a stock down to desired length, a grind-to-fit buttpad is the easiest solution. When I cut down my Stoeger buttstock, I grinded the stock plastic buttplate to fit. I had to fill the rim on a section of it with JB Weld, smooth the JB Weld patch, then paint to match. Not worth it. I cut down a '97 buttstock, and wanted to reinstall the original steel buttplate, but because it was inset in the top of the stock, it would have required quite a bit of inletting of the wood. It was easier to install a grind-to-fit buttpad.

Aother reason, other than convenience, is that a rubber buttpad won't slip down your shoulder while shooting like a smooth steel buttplate will. Trying to run a lever fast while the gun is sliding down your shoulder makes hitting the target a lot tougher ;) .

You do your grocery shopping on Thursday? That right there oughta be a 'P'.

^_^^_^^_^

:wub:

..........Widder

Sweetie,

Now that I live in the boonies, I stop at a grocery store every time I pass one. I had to go "town" to the notary yesterday. So, I stopped at the grocery, clothing consignment, Petco...

:wub: you 2

Allie

Sear's & Roebuck's 1897 catalog has a rubber slip on "Recoil Pad" for $3.95

1895 Montgomery Ward's catalog has a "recoil pad" for $3.95

Yeah! Candia would actually be perfect, it's not far from my house at all.

I wonder why that didn't show on SASS' official website.

Howdy Again

Because SASS does not update that information very often. I checked out what they have for NH and most of it is out of date. The web page I gave you is much more current.

Good idea to try out a match or two before the Regional in Pelham in July. You do not want to go to a Regional as your first match. Get a few local matches under your belt first.

Howdy!

I am a newb to CAS/SASS, and I'm looking to get a shotgun. I already have to Pietta Westerners, and a '92 clone, but no period shotgun.

Looking around, I see a lot of the Stoegers and Baikals (and probably others) have rubber recoil pads. As someone who does other historical reenactments with a lot of thread counters, I tend to lean towards historical accuracy. I don't think rubber recoil pads existed (although vulcanization started about 1839), so I'm curious how this works. I suppose worst case I could cover it with leather. Am I right in thinking I should avoid the rubber recoil pads (or just remove them, if possible)?

I've also noticed that none of those are modeled after a specific firearm from the era, but they seems popular. Am I over-thinking this aspect?

SASS is not historical reenactment. Rubber recoil pads are perfectly legal and do not need to be covered in any way on shotguns. Read the SASS Shooters Handbook on what is legal for each type gun.

Archived