SASS Wire Forum

Where were you

Big Jake1001

Sounds like some of you guys have had interesting lives. Thank you to the ones that were in the service to the USA.

I'm glad that one way or the other, you found SASS. Without new growth, it might have not been around for so many years.

Big Jake

...married, raising kids, w**king in the nuclear plant industry...

...didn't take time to read until '94.... <_<

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I started a gun store in the early 90's so I was at least aware of CAS. One day a fella who would one day become Cole Younger, a regular customer, came in and asked if I had heard of "this Cowboy Shooting"?

I said I had and handed him a Cowboy Chronicle, an EMF catalog, and some other CAS propaganda that I had been given by the future William "Billy" Brooks. Shortly after that we convinced the local rangemaster to close the range to the public on a Sunday afternoon so we could give this game a shot.

That was the beginning of The Chorro Valley Regulators, the 12th club to affiliate with SASS.

Fillmore

I had just moved to the Central coast in 1993 to go to Cal Poly. Wish I'd have known you then.

Denver Colorado,

I had just graduated from college and gotten married so even if I had wanted to participate it would have been difficult. (no money :mellow: )

Yes I read gun mags but did not see (or more likely had no interest at the time) anything on "Cowboy Shooting"

Finally heard about and was hooked on CAS in April of 2006.

Lot of wasted time there! :)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

82? My first two kids were out of high school and in college. No money at all. So deep into traditional archery that I was unaware of anything to do with guns.

Blew up a shoulder shooting too heavy weight in my bows in the late 90s which put a stop to my bowhunting. Bought a Ruger P90, traded it for a Blackhawk in 41 mag. I'm not sure exactly how I found SASS but when I did it was all over. Shot modern with a pair of Blackhawks until I saw my first 58 Remington fire. Tried them and found I liked the geometry of the Colt copies more. Haven't fired a cartridge gun in several years now.

I was on Okinawa keeping the Orient safe for democracy. :FlagAm:

Actually didn't hear about SASS through any magazines. About four years ago the missus saw it on an episode of Shooting USA and fell in love. Now you're stuck with me. :P

Selling guns and drugs back then also (pharmacy with ffl in small town). Lots of hours fishing and hunting (started hunting with handgun in mid seventies, been at it ever since) and the shooting sport I enjoyed was IHMSA which I started around '78. Think I even shot the Internationals in '79 at Black Canyon Range, now Ben Avery. Wow, sure was not much around the range then nor clear to Cave Creek and Carefree. Cave Creek had not much more in the way of business than a gas station, motel (Tumbleweed), and, yes, The Horney Toad.

82-3-4-5 High school .

And Playing Doctor with my Girl friend .

In '82 I was recruiting wanna be Marines to go try out at PI. Heard about EOT around '90 but couldn't find anything close to here. In '97 I found a club around here and went to two annual matches and got hooked. Took me those two years to get guns, cart and clothes. I wish I had went ahead and joined earlier but didn't know if it would grow east of the Mississippi. I am glad it did and wouldn't trade the experiences I've had for anything.

Blue Wolf

I was living in a very small, very remote, Eskimo village in Western Alaska, and working as a school teacher. Read about SASS in some magazine, and joined up. It would be a very long time before I actually was able to shoot a match! :lol:

In '82 I was on a ship out of San Diego(USN). From 83-85 I was on Adak Island in the Aleutians. Most of my shooting was muzzleloading. I read about cowboy shooting before I retired in 93 but didn't find a club until a few years later. Finally joined in 2006.

Archived