SASS Wire Forum

Marine treated with respect

There are more of these guys living under bridges and underpasses than you would believe...

About 25% of the homeless in this area are vets. :angry:

Seems like the Marines turn out some real lunies. He can't be helped until he makes the committment to get better.

Until you have walked a mile in a marines boots under the conditions they and other members of our military endure to protect our freedom you have no standing to say who is 'lunie'

Most people cannot imagine what these good men have experienced....

And try as hard as they might sometimes the lasting effects are just that.

I am just glad the officers that went to find him understood.

JJ(Vietman Vet)J-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Seems like the Marines turn out some real lunies. He can't be helped until he makes the committment to get better.

No. It has nothing to do with the Marines.

Trooper Don Frerichs who found him understands. You do not.

No. It has nothing to do with the Marines.

Trooper Don Frerichs who found him understands. You do not.

+1

Until you have walked a mile in a marines boots under the conditions they and other members of our military endure to protect our freedom you have no standing to say who is 'lunie'

JJ(Vietman Vet)J-D

Oh spare me the drama. Since you used the term "they" then I take that to mean you never served in the Marines either.

I had a Uncle that served in the Marines in Korea in a place you may have studied called "Frozen Chosin." He can back and lived a long productive life.

My big brother was a Marine Nam vet and came back a drug addict and mental health issues that eventually led to his very premature death. We never used his military experiences serve as a excuse for his choices. Even though mental health services were poor back then I suspect that if he was alive as a returning sandbox solder he would make the same bad choices.

Another history lesson. In the '70's (1970's) as a young street copper I regularly encountered young males that were creating problems that claimed to be a Nam vet. Then as now former vet having problems with law enforcement was good newspaper tripe. Thing is, after checking the background, very few of them ever even served in the Armed Forces. The few that did didn't make it to Nam.

I have a lot of respect for our servicemen. Based on that respect and my experiences dealing with a-holes after Nam makes me very suspicious of these former solder can't adjust stories. I would think that all former Marines would be upset and suspicious as this story discredits the Corp and them as a Marine.

On the other hand I also found this disturbing article about how the Corp is treating solders with ptsd issues. I noted that the solder mentioned was a former sniper. To me sniping is a very personal, stressful type of war.

http://www.ptsdsupport.net/chapter14-4.html

You will never see a story on the individual checking out his background but it doesn't really matter. If he is a vet he has given more than should have been asked and hopefully can get free help through the VA. If he is not there are free programs available but he must make the choice.

I have remained .... how would you say? Detached.... From the "Marine" argument here.

One example of a Viet Nam era Marine was made. I was not the least bit stable when I came home. I crawled into a bottle and didn't draw a sober breath for almost a year until I was fortunate enough to realize that I needed direction. I became a Reservist because I needed that structure in my life. I had family and friends that some understood and some called me a baby killer.

All I can say is that God had plans for me otherwise I very well would have ended up on a coroner's slab. I thank God every day for helping me and giving me the strength I needed to go on just one more day. I also pray every day for those not as fortunate as I. I still battle my demons daily and nightmares, while less frequent, still haunt me. I still suffer from Survivor's Guilt. I will until the day that I die.

My dad was in North Africa, Sicily and Italy during WW2. he died in 1984 and was still having nightmares.

Unless you have been in heavy combat and dealt with your demons, it's difficult to really understand. I didn't understand my dad's demons until I got mine.

Please don't criticize the Vet or those here that have seen but never experienced the demon. It is all a very personal thing that affects us all differently. Some deal with it better than others. Some just saw too damned much death and destruction. I understood what my Dad told me when I was a young child when I asked him what war was like. He told me that you don't ever want to fight it here. Fight over there... That also was a lesson learned the hard way during the War of Northern Aggression. Both sides faced unimaginable carnage.

Please just pray that some day, there will be no VFW Posts..... I do....

YOU will NEVER understand!

I'm the father of 3 multi-tour combat vets. One was Special Ops.(75th Ranger).

What I have learned to do is to LISTEN when these men talk........ ;)

Maybe YOU should try the same <_<

LG

Most people cannot imagine what these good men have experienced....

And try as hard as they might sometimes the lasting effects are just that.

I am just glad the officers that went to find him understood.

JJ(Vietman Vet)J-D

100% - I know a number of Marines - a few surving currently and many who have served.

GOD BLESS 'EM

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Maybe YOU should try the same dry.gif

LG

+1 - and a salute to them from this civilian!

Lumpy, I imagine you have not had a sound night's sleep since your first one enlisted and will not have one till they are all three home for good - may that day come soon!

Sarge check your PM's, Pardner.

THX BR, they are home now for good...In some ways, my sons are still in combat with some PTSD issues. I go with them to the VA and listen about what they have seen/done. I'm at a loss for words to tell what I have heard them, and others, relate.

Respectfully,

LG

Maybe YOU should try the same <_<

LG

I guess you missed this part;

You will never see a story on the individual checking out his background but it doesn't really matter. If he is a vet he has given more than should have been asked and hopefully can get free help through the VA. If he is not there are free programs available but he must make the choice.

Time to move on to better topics.

I would think that all former Marines would be upset and suspicious as this story discredits the Corp and them as a Marine.

I have no idea how you think this story discredits the Marine Corps.

Good advice for yourself ;)

Seems like the Marines turn out some real lunies.

Some people talk out their ass when they have no clue about what the hell their talking about. :angry:

I guess I'm a Lunie checking in!

:FlagAm:

What part is that? YOUR the one with the smart arse remark/insult about Marines :angry:

You do run your mouth loose around here......Maybe you should be "Seldom Seen" and make this a better place.

AMF,

LG

It is always interesting to watch the attacks turn personal and name calling when you are unable to defend your position with logic and facts. I have never engaged in name calling or personal attacks. I simply stated my position and backed it up with both my family history and research. L.G. and G.G. you have a history of personal attacks so I will file your attacks in the recycle bin.

U.B. It seems like to me that anytime there is a incident with a lunie he is described as former Marine or solder. Why isn't he described as a former college student/graduate, truck driver, bartender, etc.? The answer to me is of course cheap journalism. Thousands, no millions, of men have served in the Marines and successfully readjusted to society yet to me it makes in sounds like a lot don't and do things like running round barefoot in the snow. To me this disgraces Marines that have served honorabily. Of course this is the same journalism that is defending Obama and making Tea Party members look like nuts. As someone that has a lot of experience in the mental health field this guys problems are far beyond any PTSD. He appears to be fully psychotic and is going to need some serious intervention.

As to my original comment that the Marines turn out some real lunies I present the greatest sniper in history; Lee Harvey Oswald. However that is not to say the Army is any better after the Ft. Hood massacre.

It is always interesting to watch the attacks turn personal and name calling when you are unable to defend your position with logic and facts. I have never engaged in name calling or personal attacks. I simply stated my position and backed it up with both my family history and research. L.G. and G.G. you have a history of personal attacks so I will file your attacks in the recycle bin.

U.B. It seems like to me that anytime there is a incident with a lunie he is described as former Marine or solder. Why isn't he described as a former college student/graduate, truck driver, bartender, etc.? The answer to me is of course cheap journalism. Thousands, no millions, of men have served in the Marines and successfully readjusted to society yet to me it makes in sounds like a lot don't and do things like running round barefoot in the snow. To me this disgraces Marines that have served honorabily. Of course this is the same journalism that is defending Obama and making Tea Party members look like nuts. As someone that has a lot of experience in the mental health field this guys problems are far beyond any PTSD. He appears to be fully psychotic and is going to need some serious intervention.

As to my original comment that the Marines turn out some real lunies I present the greatest sniper in history; Lee Harvey Oswald. However that is not to say the Army is any better after the Ft. Hood massacre.

Hogwash! You are the one that said 'Seems like the Marines turn out some real lunies', that is a personal attack against the Marines - and Seldom Seen - please post any time I had a personal attack on you. I have disgreed with you and have called you insensitive, but ONLY when you brought it upon yourself. Please list the personal attacks or any name calling episode I have done and we can go from there. I have referred to some of your posts as 'clown shoes' remarks (which were true), but that was nothing in a personal attack on you, just your posts - if I was ever in the wrong we can deal with it.

Thanks to the fact Sgt. Randall was heads up, squared away and tuned in SSG Cooper probably came out of this a whole bunch better than if it had been someone else who found him.

...probably so....glad it happened that way :) when he was found the first act of respect was the way he was addressed.

"When they came upon Cooper, obviously suffering from hypothermia, Randall addressed him as Staff Sgt. Cooper and asked him how he was doing."

SS,YOU are the one with the insults/issues......

You are the one that will "toss-and-run" like a child, your posting history proves this.

You couldn't even stand in the shadow of my sons or daughter.

Your just not worth it..

LG

Your family history and job experience have colored your opinion but I would hardly call it research. During my career I too saw a number of homeless pathetic types who claimed veteran status but were not vets. That did not lead me to conclude that most of them were posers anymore than one should conclude most former soldiers are baby killers based on My Lai. Your conclusion that this individual is psychotic would seem to contradict your claim to have a lot of experience in the mental health field. No one I know in that field would make such a diagnosis as that based on a news article. The article reported what happened. The headline is typical "grab 'em" journalism but other than that it seemed reasonably straightforward.

Your posts in the past have indicated that you have doubts whether or not PTSD is even valid. You have poo pooed those who express sympathy for anyone who has been in a fatal shooting situation and has to deal with the taking of a human life. I believe "wimps" was the term you used at one point.

And Lee Harvey Oswald is tossed in as part of your argument that Marines turn out lunies? Seriously?

You might as well bring up Ed Gein and to prove Wisconsin turns out nuts.

But I suppose I simply do not understand your thought process or logic.

As someone that has a lot of experience in the mental health field this guys problems are far beyond any PTSD. He appears to be fully psychotic and is going to need some serious intervention.

First off Vets don't receive free medical...They paid more for it than a civilian ever will or will ever know.

As someone with a lot of experience in the mental health field, you must not have been a professional because professionals don't care for the word "lunie" and when you use it it kills your credibility.

And lastly Oswald was not the greatest sniper in history (research WWII snipers and counter snipers) he just had the highest profile target. You seem to be doing some pretty good sensationalized journalism yourself.

Douglas W Shaw

USAF MSgt (Ret)

Archived