SASS Wire Forum

Wondering if Anyone here Shoots IDPA

I'm near a local club that does monthly IDPA matches on the 3rd Thursday. I have suitable equipment (Glock 21, proper holster, etc.) and am wondering about its fun factor. Any info./thoughts/feedback would be appreciated. Another shooting sport is always interesting.

IDPA is for people who want to use their CCW skills. The rules are based on that. You must always shoot the closest target (most eminent threat). You must reload under cover. You must retain your empty mags on your person, as opposed to just letting tham fall to the ground.

IPSC is geared to competition and is less restricting. Open carry, speedloading is O.K. It's wide open, just hit the target as fast and as accuratley as you can. Some people enjoy less restrictions. IPSC is stiffer compitition, with both pro and amateur catagories. Some of the pro competitors have sponsers and can win considerable cash prizes. Most of these are young men with very good eyesight and fast reflexes.

Before I found cowboy I was thinking I wanted to try IDPA, as it worked out I made it to a cowboy match first and that's all it took. Still haven't been to an actual IDPA match as they are the same weekend as one of my favorite cowboy matches.

I may give it a try some day, but I don't see it ever replacing cowboy for me.

Grizz

I tried IDPA, wasn't for me. People we too serious, and I shoot for fun.

I found USPSA to be more enjoyable, since I can use my 1911s.

Your mileage may vary.

Triple D gives a good short form of the game. The local club here does recreational pistol which is based on IDPA but its a little more informal, no classes and they dont hammer you with penalties if you shoot something out of order etc. We set up two stages/scenarios on one of the pistol bays and you shoot each one twice, if you want to that is. 9mm and 40SW are the two most common calibers here with 45ACP following behind. Course of fire here usually includes 16-18 rounds but extra magazines are always a good thing.

Glock, Sig, SW M&P and 1911s are all on the equipment list. I've shot it with 45, 10mm and 38Super using either 1911 or the XD. Accuracy counts with different scoring rings on the tombstone cardboard targets which require two hits per. Here you can keep shooting till you get two in the "x" zone or just take the reduction in score. Tactical/5.11 or the like vests and light jackets are the norm since you are supposed to start with the gun concealed.

There are some serious shooters in the group and while its not as jovial as cowboy I've not yet come across anyone I wouldnt talk with over a cup of coffee.

Really enjoy the shooting while moving aspect, using cover and concealment, swingers, pop up targets, fall down targets, movers and the occasional REALLY close targets. Not sure if its just this club but carrying a briefcase, drawing and engaging the first target or two with one hand is also different.

When spring rolls around and we get started up again I'm going to give this a try with a 44Spec wheel gun, my little 9mm and maybe even the Smokewagons if I can get to let me shoot a reduced number of rounds.

And a little added information, I'm shooting it for reasons similar to why I'm shooting 5 stand and a little trap, its shooting. B)

I'm near a local club that does monthly IDPA matches on the 3rd Thursday. I have suitable equipment (Glock 21, proper holster, etc.) and am wondering about its fun factor. Any info./thoughts/feedback would be appreciated. Another shooting sport is always interesting.

For me it is still shooting so I try it out once in a while.

That said though,

I went to the IDPA website to try to learn all the rules and if you think SASS has a bunch check out theirs!

the local club enforces all of the rules to the letter - no exceptions - no excuses, for a newer shooter it is pretty disheartening to come off a stage thinking you did ok, only to find out you have multiple penalties - usually without an explanation of what you did wrong.

If you are not a member of IDPA it costs more to shoot (double) than if you are a member.

typically only 4 stages with 8 or 9 to a posse and usually 18-25 rounds per stage. took about 4 1/2 hours to get through the day.

bought a "blackhawk" holster on advice from a better shooter - found out is was illegal because it cants the gun to far away from the body.

wore my normal cover (daily wear) shirt, couldn't figure out how come others were so much faster on the draw - till one showed me the weights sewn into the hem to make it easier to pull away. and we think we have gamers!

After 5 matches still do not know, nor have I been involved in conversation with anyone I did not know before I went to an IDPA match.

Yes it is shooting and I will continue to give it a whirl because of that, but there is no comparison to the people or comraderie of CAS.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Yesterday I gave a type of 3 Gun (local private range) a try. WHAT A BLAST! Moving and shooting and reloading all 3 firearms. It was very different than what SASS does. I almost felt brain dead, there is too much to think about in 3 Gun. My shotgun wouldn't feed right, I never shot my AR in anything having to deal with speed, and my 1911 worked way better than I did.

BUT MAN WAS IT FUN!!

Just my two cents, for what it is worth.....Last year, I thought that IDPA would be interesting (and useful practice for CCW). Went over the rules on website, loaded up .45 ACP, and went to range in the area for two monthly matches. Lots of folks there for the matches. Felt a bit out of place, as I did not have full wardrobe of 5.11 Tactical wear ( IDPA version of SASS costume regs) , just khaki slacks and a jacket. Lots of EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE (read: hard, hard core "gamers") shooters. Heard my "posse marshal" say "Man, I made sure no one gets out of this stage w/o a procedural " UH OH ! Yes I was slowest shooter, thought I would be, no problem with that. I did have a problem with "attitude" of a couple of the shooters: " I'm an elite level shooter, ergo that safety rule need not apply to me". UH OH! As another poster has said, lots of obscure regs on cover, sequence, etc., none of which anyone explained after violation. When I posted some of my observations on our local cowboy wire, without naming anyone, or the range, I received a blistering email from range owner (an elite shooter), basically telling me not to come to any more matches at HIS facility. No problem sir !

See you down the trail......

Go try it. It aint cowboy, and aint meant to be. It serves a purpose, as training for concealed carry, at least thats what its supposed to be. There are always going to be folks trying to game it up, figure out what you want from it and apply yourself accordingly. Some of what folks have said above is true, some is probaly what they heard and is not true. I have shot idpa on and off for 4 years. When i first started i wanted to be the fastest, now i use what i carry for ccw and do the best i can with it while maintaining cover and using sound tactics. Cowboy action aint tactical shooting and should not be thought of as such. Go to the idpa website and read the rules yourself, then go try it.

I tried IDPA It was not for me .

To be nice i will say much friendlier people in SASS .

Thanks for the info. The club I'll be using is geared towards CAS and trap, so I doubt that a a hard-ass attitude will be encountered w/IDPA (club president is an avid CAS participant). I agree about the P traps in IDPA, which seem to be a bunch of minor stuff. I'm basically a nerd, so I'll have the rule book memorized before my first match. Will also have a printed copy with me.

A lot of the comments here are no different than on other gun board forums when people ask about cowboy action shooting. Some people that respond actually know what they are talking about and others complain about how they "think" the other shooting sport is run. You can get procedurals in IDPA just as you do in SASS. You don't always shoot the closest target first. As far as clothing or gear, you get the same mixture of some shooters wearing everyday regular clothing or the mininmum SASS legal and some wearing the more extreme outfits that would be suitable for each sport. Some shooters do pay different amounts to shoot a match, just like in SASS, depending on if you are a member of the local club or a SASS or IDPA member. You don't have to go shoot USPSA to shoot your 1911. I've run into a similar percentage of hotshots at cowboy or other matches, not that many actually. At each match there is that handful of top shooters and others with a mixture of abilities all the way down to those who can barely shoot, same in both sports. You must retain your empty or partially full magazines, unless your gun goes completely empty. Just one of those rules in IDPA that some people don't like, like the empty round left in a long gun in SASS. IDPA has gear and holster rules too.. That holster that someone bought and complained wasn't legal hung away from the body for an easier draw, not suitable for CCW. Anyway, Smokin Gator

Just my two cents, for what it is worth.....Last year, I thought that IDPA would be interesting (and useful practice for CCW). Went over the rules on website, loaded up .45 ACP, and went to range in the area for two monthly matches. Lots of folks there for the matches. Felt a bit out of place, as I did not have full wardrobe of 5.11 Tactical wear ( IDPA version of SASS costume regs) , just khaki slacks and a jacket. Lots of EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE (read: hard, hard core "gamers") shooters. Heard my "posse marshal" say "Man, I made sure no one gets out of this stage w/o a procedural " UH OH ! Yes I was slowest shooter, thought I would be, no problem with that. I did have a problem with "attitude" of a couple of the shooters: " I'm an elite level shooter, ergo that safety rule need not apply to me". UH OH! As another poster has said, lots of obscure regs on cover, sequence, etc., none of which anyone explained after violation. When I posted some of my observations on our local cowboy wire, without naming anyone, or the range, I received a blistering email from range owner (an elite shooter), basically telling me not to come to any more matches at HIS facility. No problem sir !

See you down the trail......

Then you should "out" that SOB so we know who to avoid ;)

Cheers,

LG

I tried IDPA, wasn't for me. People we too serious, and I shoot for fun.

I found USPSA to be more enjoyable, since I can use my 1911s.

Your mileage may vary.

Yep, Dog eat Dog, they will call you on any little thing, not Fun!! More rules than anyone can possibly remember! If you show up without a Glock you are not "In" !!

"Yep, Dog eat Dog, they will call you on any little thing, not Fun!! More rules than anyone can possibly remember! If you show up without a Glock you are not "In" !! "

Exactly the kind of statement I'm refering to in my first post. Sure, Glocks are popular in IDPA. So what. Rugers are pretty popular in SASS. What's the difference? Geezz! Smokin Gator

If you screw up in IDPA, you need to be penalized. The oringinal idea of IDPA was to become proficient with your carry weapon. If you fail to neutrlize a target, fail to use cover when availiable, fail to move and shoot when possible, fail to engage targets in a manner in which is advantageous to your survival, you need to be reminded you messed up. In the real world it may cost you a lot more than a procedural. Quit whinning and shoot or stay the hell at home. And by the way cowboy is fun but it aint no tactical training and the way most i see shoot in cowboy they need to use cover because they sure aint going to stop the bad guy with bullets. IDPA aint the most up to date, best training, but its better than nothing.

I'm sure IDPA clubs vary widely based on the attitudes of the organizers and participants.

+1

When I started CAS, I didn't have fun at the first club I frequented, then I found others. When I started USPSA, I found that group of people to be as much fun as CAS people. Interesting tidbit, both of these groups are at the same facilitiy!!! :o

Don't forget to buy yourself your tactical photographer's vest to conceal your pistol....

Like that is really concealment...

Don't forget to buy yourself your tactical photographer's vest to conceal your pistol....

Like that is really concealment...

I call that the "shoot me first vest". You can always recognize a Fed when they come in the office because they are wearing dress pants, polo shirt and a shoot me first vest.

IDPA is fun but it's very different than SASS. There's not the focus on socializing and good sportsmanship that you'll see at a SASS match. It draws a younger, more competative croud and they have different priorities.

"Don't forget to buy yourself your tactical photographer's vest to conceal your pistol....

Like that is really concealment... "

Or you can choose to use a jacket, sweatshirt, shirt long enough to cover your holster, just using your everyday clothing. IDPA is not tactical training, it's a shooting game based on the idea of self defense. You can use IDPA matches and your everyday carry gear to use the gear that you actually carry or you can treat it solely as a game and use whatever is within the rules to score the best. Some SASS shooters will walk through the stages, taking very deliberate aim and not be worried about their time. Others will push every possible rule to the limit (still within the rules) and try for the best possible score they can get. Either way is ok in both sports. Smokin Gator

"IDPA is fun but it's very different than SASS. There's not the focus on socializing and good sportsmanship that you'll see at a SASS match. It draws a younger, more competative croud and they have different priorities."

Overall the average age is younger at IDPA matches. Still quite a few seniors though. At the monthly matches there is plenty of socializing and people getting together for lunch after the work is done. The big difference that I've seen is that at larger multi day IDPA matches, you don't have the shooters staying together in motorhomes and trailers and getting together barbqueing, visiting and partying. Most of the shooters are staying at motels and going out with friends and maybe some others that they've met at the match getting together somewhere for dinner. Less of the shooters are there for the socializing and more of them are there for the competition. As far as good sportsmanship, 95% of the shooters shoot the stages, help out as needed, with no complaints. Then there are always those few who question every miss or procedural, and don't look like they are having a good time. Happens in both SASS and IDPA matches. Smokin Gator

Archived