SASS Wire Forum

Is SASS growing?

rcd567

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd guess the numbers are about the same now as they were when I was playing back in the early 90's. If there is 23,000 to 25,000 members, that's about what we had back then. If I had to guess, I'd guess ole Judge Roy Bean has retired to that range in the sky? Seems most folks playing are older and we keep getting older everyday, with any luck that is.

Most of the young returning servicemen join some sort of three gun or action pistol clubs. In another 30 to 40 years (I'll be dead) they'll probably be shooting a slower version of what they shot when they grew up. Or maybe they will be lured to SASS so they can keep on shooting. The young kids of the future probably won't be allowed around guns. :blink: Icky, dangerous things who's only real purpose is to kill people. Heck they're teaching that in school nowadays.

I'm working on getting some guns. Not the full load, just a Colt Saa and maybe a 1873 rifle. I'll take me some time to acquire the WMD's I once had. Then maybe I'll join up again. I still have my old badges. I do know that since I got out, a couple guys I used to shoot high powers with, are now into CAS. And I'm really not here trying to kick the hornets nest. Just re-visiting with a couple old questions.

Nope - #1 is still around ;) You mentioned 'badges'...what was your alias and #?

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Certainly some of the membership loss in SASS is due to folks that originally joined year to year, still shoot in SASS local matches, do not shoot in State matches or above and for one reason or another decided to not continue paying SASS yearly dues. Some of these folks quit paying for financial reasons, others quit because of a beef with SASS and getting them to rejoin will be difficult. They do continue to come out monthly and support their local SASS clubs.

Oh joy...

You fly a plane and I need to explain to you a figure of speech??

Besides, yer smart and ya know I know just a fraction of what you know and that if I told you all I know then...well you know, folks would know all I know and then there would be no reason for me to ever post again cus all I know would already be known...ya know?!

But...what do I know?

:mellow:

Now you know everything you need to know. If there is anything else Phantom could help you with ; I am sure that he will . :blink: He explains himself in a clear and concise manner. :ph34r:

G.G.

Yes abolutely.

Consider that original 97's in good condition are harder and harder in good condition are in limited numbers and are harder and harder to come by. The supply of clones from China is also unreliable.

I imagine the next generation of pump guns was the Winchester Model 12. In appearance and function in looks and operates just like a Rem. 870. For that matter other than the nasty hammer bite of the 97 it functions the ssme as modern pump guns.

Of course I would limit comestic enhancements such as pistol grip stocks, etc. But my goal would be for new shooters to pull their or Dad's or, in my case my Uncle's Model 12, out of the closet and go shooting. If I was a new shooter I would already have a 1911 and shotgun in the closet making it much easier to get started. Compare this to CAS which almost always require the purchase of all four guns for beginners.

Anyway what do I know? I am looking forward to Gangster Action Shooting (GAS). Tommy guns, double action revolvers, loose women, bootleg booze. :lol:

G.G.

Yes abolutely.

Consider that original 97's in good condition are harder and harder in good condition are in limited numbers and are harder and harder to come by. The supply of clones from China is also unreliable.

I imagine the next generation of pump guns was the Winchester Model 12. In appearance and function in looks and operates just like a Rem. 870. For that matter other than the nasty hammer bite of the 97 it functions the ssme as modern pump guns.

Of course I would limit comestic enhancements such as pistol grip stocks, etc. But my goal would be for new shooters to pull their or Dad's or, in my case my Uncle's Model 12, out of the closet and go shooting. If I was a new shooter I would already have a 1911 and shotgun in the closet making it much easier to get started. Compare this to CAS which almost always require the purchase of all four guns for beginners.

Anyway what do I know? I am looking forward to Gangster Action Shooting (GAS). Tommy guns, double action revolvers, loose women, bootleg booze. :lol:

I only had an issue with your term 'any'

Badge numbers are meaningless respective to total SASS membership.

Form 3526-R, Statement of Ownership, Management and Circulation

Filing Date: 09/23/11 - published in the Cowboy Chronicle which is required by UPS Regulations

Total (Cowboy Chronicles) Paid and/or Requested = 25,509

Add:

** Unknown = Number of family members that SASS doesn't mail multiple CC copies to a family

** Unknown = Electronic Cowboy Chronicle issues

My guess is there are between 26,000 to 27,000 paid members of SASS as of October 1, 2011

26,363 = Average Number Copies each Issue During Preceding 12 Months

This is a greater number than as of September 23, 2011. To me it means SASS paid memberships were less in 2011 than in 2010 ... so membership is decreasing - Not Gaining

I wondered about this myself the past couple of years and there has been some discussion about it in my "neck of the woods". John Boy I like it when someone like yourself can actually extrapolate a number from logic and reason. It resonates with me. Using a conservative number of 30,000+/- in the 7 years I've been associated with this "game" using my badge number and 93,000 that's 27,000+/- or roughly 4,000 per year who have joined.

From personal experience and observation the number of shooters at local and state matches is down and I know of 4 clubs in New England that have stopped CAS or become inactive.

Are there more SASS members now than in yesteryear? I know I have grown. When I first signed up as a victi....uh, member, I was 170 pounds with a 36" waist line. Now, I am north of 220 and "longitudinally" (Pardon the spelling, I think I just made that word up) 40 plus. The obvious question is, do the 25000 members of today acutally constitue a larger "body" than the 25000 of yesteryear? So, all things being equal, they're not. :blink::lol:

Knob Creek Drover

Are there more SASS members now than in yesteryear? I know I have grown. When I first signed up as a victi....uh, member, I was 170 pounds with a 36" waist line. Now, I am north of 220 and "longitudinally" (Pardon the spelling, I think I just made that word up) 40 plus. The obvious question is, do the 25000 members of today acutally constitue a larger "body" than the 25000 of yesteryear? So, all things being equal, they're not. :blink::lol:

Knob Creek Drover

:lol: I was 155 with a 30" waist in '96 when I signed up on my 5'9" frame...now...hitting 195 and a 35" waist.....yee gads, C'est la vie.

Your math is a little off , Henry , Duke has been gone over 32 years. 1979

But I get your drift. Rex :D

Damn I'm getting old. Math was never my strong point, thats why I was a cop

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

No not right now, but that's ok. Really.

I and many of you have seen the ebb and growth of many shooting activities. At our facility there are currently 14 different shooting disciplines. As an example currently at our location trap and skeet are reduced in numbers after a long decline but sporting clays has seen a great upswing. 10 years ago it was the opposite. 10 years before that sporting clays was our new kid on the block. IHMSA has stayed steady at a few participants but never goes away. Some disciplines disappear for awhile to return when we have a member willing to run them.

Uspsa/Ipsc had begun to decline at our club but is going up again with heavy attendance every month. The birth of formalized IDPA has been great at our club. Again, numbers almost amazing.

Cowboy which grew like crazy at our club from 1994 until 2000 leveled off to a sustaining attendance. We're having a slight average upswing again infact.

I see this a very good sign that we Cowboy shooters are doing what we need to do to provide a continous supply of new members to cover our attrition.

The comments we get are that all our shooting activites are friendly, fun, and accessible to new and old shooters. It's not going to get any better than that. We need to work to keep it that way.

At the first two day CAS match in GA ,1993, there were 13 shooters from 5 states attending.

In 1989 most cowboy action shooters were NOT members of SASS, myself included.

So to me we've come a very long way from shooting paper plates on sticks in a working pasture simply because we were having fun and it showed. If we lose the fun in CAS it will fade away.

Joe

Guest Texas Jack Black

Say it AIN't So Phantom is agreeing with me!!! I said all this years ago and was almost beaten to death. ;) SASS stopped growing when it veered off track.

T J B

Say it AIN't So Phantom is agreeing with me!!! I said all this years ago and was almost beaten to death. ;) SASS stopped growing when it veered off track.

T J B

guess ya have a new friend....:P

Guest Texas Jack Black

I knew down deep he really agreed with me :rolleyes: I am pleased to see that the New Year has brought him into the light.

T J B

Guest Texas Jack Black

I don't know what track got veered off of, it got made up as it went along.

Joe

Read the real early chronicles ,Just a few of the early articles like we would not allow political articles, we would not allow our game to be driven by manufactures,We would not allow an equipment race to develop, ETC.and on and on.

Best wishes

T J B

For those of us that hsve "grown" with SASS do you look for any other things to do while bent over putting your spurs on? :lol: From a P.R. point of view I think CAS looks like the most fun and less threatening to non-shooters.

Read the real early chronicles ,Just a few of the early articles like we would not allow political articles, we would not allow our game to be driven by manufactures,We would not allow an equipment race to develop, ETC.and on and on.

Best wishes

T J B

SASS in it's current form suits me fine...guess I'm in the minority :rolleyes:

Sure there are things that I would like to see happen (that's been in another thread so I won't elaboarate)...but hey, the good outweighs the bad IMHO.

To hear the gripes from those that participate is good. To those that don't participate - not much merit ;)

Usually most of the gripes are here on the wire and this wire represents a very tiny minority of SASS members. Most of the people I run into at matches are having a great time.

Biggest problems today are the economy and older shooters. As to whether it's growing, my 2 youngest brothers (they ain't that young) signed up this year. So, in our family, SASS has doubled in the last year.

TJB,

Reading the early Chronicals is something I can and do right now. I stared getting them before I joined SASS. They used to print schedules and articles of non SASS CAS stuff as well as SASS only when there were much fewer than 1000 signed up members. They would send you one, the CC, on request. Not just when I joined but still 2 years later when I went to life membership you could still get one of the earlier #s range set aside for life members. I didn't see any point in that then or now.

The OP/ED articles, letters questioning this and that,and people wanting to change stuff to let them do better, no different than now.

When putting together the first SASS Regional, discussions on the first range operations material, and emergency services planning I still never saw the SASS for the Future Game Plan. If you have please reveal it sir.

SASS either changes as necessary or goes away, just don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I do this because I like it. I have fun in any shooting sport I participate in but this one is my favorite.

Joe

"The Swedish Bikini Team?"

Yes indeed! Once again you have cut to heart of the matter.

Guest Texas Jack Black

SASS in it's current form suits me fine...guess I'm in the minority :rolleyes:

Sure there are things that I would like to see happen (that's been in another thread so I won't elaboarate)...but hey, the good outweighs the bad IMHO.

To hear the gripes from those that participate is good. To those that don't participate - not much merit ;)

I think you pretty much summed up what is the main problem with slow growth and why SASS is not attracting many new shooters You say SASS suits YOU just fine and only those who are currently shooting should have a say as to the direction of SASS and the hell with all the other MEMBERS. We do not want to rock the boat as it slowly sinks out of sight

Best wishes

I think you pretty much summed up what is the main problem with slow growth and why SASS is not attracting many new shooters You say SASS suits YOU just fine and only those who are currently shooting should have a say as to the direction of SASS and the hell with all the other MEMBERS. We do not want to rock the boat as it slowly sinks out of sight

Best wishes

Read my post better sir...I said 'participating' ...that could be anything from maintaining membership, to attending matches, to local support of their SASS affiliated clubs, to promoting SASS in a good light in the community, to being on a costume committee, to helping motivate your fellow SASS pards.....etc ~ it's not ALL about just shooting.

You admitted in past posts on other threads that you do not participate anymore ...that says it all to me.

Guest Texas Jack Black

Read my post better sir...I said 'participating' ...that could be anything from maintaining membership, to attending matches, to local support of their SASS affiliated clubs, to promoting SASS in a good light in the community, to being on a costume committee, to helping motivate your fellow SASS pards.....etc ~ it's not ALL about just shooting.

You admitted in past posts on other threads that you do not participate anymore ...that says it all to me.

You keep building my case, So only those who participate should have a say . Like only those who go out and help get our public office holders elected SHOULD be able to vote :wacko: I think we should end this for now you keep digging deeper.

Once again I still wish you well

T J B

You keep building my case, So only those who participate should have a say . Like only those who go out and help get our public office holders elected SHOULD be able to vote :wacko: I think we should end this for now you keep digging deeper.

T J B

I'm not digging deeper :lol: - you implied that I said 'shooting' which was false.

Voting for public office is different than SASS so that analogy doesn't fly. SASS is a private entity that provides members representation through their TG's

T J B

Well. If you don't really attend matches. Then ya really don't know what is going on!!!

You might THINK, you do. But you really don't.

And if you don't join LOCAL clubs, and attend them. Then ya don't get involved with the local TG's.

Or get in on the voteing at local clubs so your TG knows how to vote.

So. NO. You don't really have a voice. Except on here. And this don't mean anything in the long run.

Guest Texas Jack Black

Well. If you don't really attend matches. Then ya really don't know what is going on!!!

You might THINK, you do. But you really don't.

And if you don't join LOCAL clubs, and attend them. Then ya don't get involved with the local TG's.

Or get in on the voteing at local clubs so your TG knows how to vote.

So. NO. You don't really have a voice. Except on here. And this don't mean anything in the long run.

YUP and if you do not go out and meet the candidates and actually work on their campaign You do not REALLY know what is going on . ;) Wow ! no wonder SASS is in stagnation.

Of course that the total that have been handed out...or most of them have been handed out...over the last 30 years.

Then of course there are those that have been purchased for their...pets...gawd help me cuz I just don't understand buying a membership and attaching an alias to a pet...and why in the heck would SASS as an organization allow it????

I hope that TEX and his crew can find the help that they need to keep SASS going.

:FlagAm:

Well, $45 is $45. Ifn a Pard or Pardette wants to hang a badge in his dog and give it newspaper for ... whatever! :lol: I am good with that. ^_^

YUP and if you do not go out and meet the candidates and actually work on their campaign You do not REALLY know what is going on . ;) Wow ! no wonder SASS is in stagnation.

I may not work on any candidates' campaigns, but I do go to SASS matches on a weekly basis. TJB, you have no clue as to what goes on at a SASS match anymore, let alone if SASS is growing or in stagnation...........despite the hundreds of thousands or rounds you (supposedly) put down range every year. :wacko: You can have an opinion, just like everyone else.........but due to your lack of participation in SASS matches or support of local SASS clubs, your opinion carries little weight in my view.

CS

I may not work on any candidates' campaigns, but I do go to SASS matches on a weekly basis. TJB, you have no clue as to what goes on at a SASS match anymore, let alone if SASS is growing or in stagnation...........despite the hundreds of thousands or rounds you (supposedly) put down range every year. :wacko: You can have an opinion, just like everyone else.........but due to your lack of participation in SASS matches or support of local SASS clubs, your opinion carries little weight in my view.

CS

None in my view. B)

Then of course there are those that have been purchased for their...pets...gawd help me cuz I just don't understand buying a membership and attaching an alias to a pet...and why in the heck would SASS as an organization allow it????

Why not? Where is your spirit of fun?

I hope that TEX and his crew can find the help that they need to keep SASS going.

Me too.

:FlagAm:

Archived