SASS Wire Forum

what can y'all tell me about Santa Fe, New Mexico

EE Taft

Housing, economy, weather, etc.

Had an offer come through today. Thought I might ask here. Its been years since I've been down there and I wonder what I might get into. As y'all know Mama Taft is into the scenery and we want to move out west.....

So....what's your thoughts on the area?

EE Taft

Beautiful area. What was probably one of the top 25 places to live in the US, in 1980.

But, that has changed over the last 15 years, as California and other money found out about it, moved in, bought a lot of the housing and put up again as much new housing at, say, over $250 per sq ft. Now have regular water shortages in the summer as the surface runoff hasn't expanded with the housing. Middle class and lower income folks have been displaced out to cheaper housing towns (Espanola, White Rock, Las Vegas, the country side). Lots of folks I know who work in Santa Fe commute the hour+ from Albuquerque each way, each day.

In town, no apartments or rental properties stay vacant for more than a few days. Expensive to live, due to the money chasing prices up.

Weather is a full four seasons. Spring is hardest - windy. Summer is beautiful, never over 95. Fall is the best. And winter, when skiiing is good, is fantastic, but very cold at night.

If you are considering an offer, it would probably need to be 1.8 to 2.5 X what you would think would be adequate in Missouri.

Economy is driven by state capital being at Santa Fe, fairly strong tourism, and money trickling down from Los Alamos National Labs (40 miles away or so). So, it's relatively stable, but no manufacturing, education or engineering/hi-tech work there to speak of.

Oh, I live in Albuquerque and work there, too. Would be hard to get me out of here. Unless there's an empty cattle ranch in some foothills someplace around here.

Good luck, GJ

As mentioned, it has turned into a very exclusive town popular with your Hollywood types and the art gallery community.

It is a victim of it's own location and beauty in my opinion.

Like a lot of places in the West.

Lady Hawk and I are looking for land near by....but not close to Santa Fe.

Maybe a hobby ranch.

Based on personal experience I recommend Santa Fe Realty group phone 505-986-9077

The only thing that keeps us from moving there is a good job. Well actually two good jobs. Nice but $$$$

Had an offer come through today. Thought I might ask here. Its been years since I've been down there and I wonder what I might get into. As y'all know Mama Taft is into the scenery and we want to move out west.....

EE Taft

Several years back I was an auditor for a large company and New Mexico, Arizona, California, and Nevada were all part of my territory. Santa Fe was so pretty!! A lot of the town has been restored to the beauty of yesteryear.... I met so many nice people there, bartered, talked, laughed and enjoy some darn good piano music there one year.. lol

It is expensive, and few jobs past tourist or retail existed there back then. It is cold but some great sking is in that area. While it speaks of the old adobe west, it also speaks of nature and tourism. Thats about all I know..

These are all things I figured on but wanted to get a clearer picture. These are all reasons to vie for the best pay possible. Retail sales is what I've done for years. The offer I've got is with a dealership like the one I've been with for years.

I'll just have to see what the intentions are with these guys and see where it leads. Just starting the process now.

As to the weather and life style....sounds nice! As long as those high minded folks can handle one more dirty old cowboy!

Wish me luck!

EE Taft

These are all things I figured on but wanted to get a clearer picture. These are all reasons to vie for the best pay possible. Retail sales is what I've done for years. The offer I've got is with a dealership like the one I've been with for years.

I'll just have to see what the intentions are with these guys and see where it leads. Just starting the process now.

As to the weather and life style....sounds nice! As long as those high minded folks can handle one more dirty old cowboy!

Wish me luck!

EE Taft

Good luck.. EES.. so are you really leaving MO like I did?

Yeah hehehe, I've been trying for quite a while with little success

so far. Hopefully that will start to turn around.

EE Taft

Yeah hehehe, I've been trying for quite a while with little success

so far. Hopefully that will start to turn around.

EE Taft

I wish you and your little family the best!!

EE my folks next door neighbor, well about a mile up the road, in Belen NM for 20 years was a real "dirty old cowboy" rancher. His only beef with Santa Fe was too damn many politicians. It sounds like with the influx of money that probably hasnt gotten any better.

Ooh, liberals......

.....I just love to drive them nutz!

I'm thinking outskirts of town kinda stuff. The job is in Santa Fe but I will probably look to rural or small town surrounding areas.

At this point I'm kinda playing the field. Nothing set in stone yet, however I did send off my resume today. Guess we'll see where it goes.

It's great to have folks that can give a real picture before I make move. I owe you all thanks in so many ways for your advice.

EE Taft

I live around 168 road miles east of Santa Fe. Us native New Mexicans call it the "Adobe Disneyland". Tourists flock to the place to see "Santa Fe Style", including a type of construction called Pueblo Revival. Too pricey of a place that even the natives there can't afford to live in the city limits. If you don't mind living out a ways, you can find some deals on land and houses. Some folks commute from Albuquerque, but that drive on I-25 is hit and miss in the winter time. In this State they close the roads when you get a little dew on the asphault.

That area is a haven for former and current Hippie types. Was visiting the Capital there once and was bothered by a middle aged woman in some kind of far eastern garb, mumbling about riding the tail of a comet. If you like healing crystals, magic healing chairs, etc., Santa Fe is YOUR TOWN. Some of the lowest forms of Homo Sapien call Santa Fe home. :blink:

Politically, the center part of New Mexico leans to the left. The conservative areas are in the northwest, east and southeastern parts of the State, where people really work for a living.

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch

New Mexico

One possibility is living south of Sante Fe in a lower cost-of-living community in Bernalillo County or Valencia County and riding the Railrunner commuter train to Santa Fe to work. The housing market in the ABQ Metro area is still depressed with good deals available. We shoot cowboy matches every weekend. You could live a half hour from Founders Ranch.

Mr Canby's right, I forgot about the railrunner. Have used it several times getting to and from the airport in Albq when visiting my folks. Met a number of commuters who used it from Belen/Los Lunas and they loved it. IIRC the fare was only a couple of bucks and that was without the monthly pass etc.

New Mexico is a beautiful state and I really enjoyed the time spent there, doubt you get get my folks out of the area short of large quantities of dynamite.

EE Taft

I have been told the governor packs heat...How much better can you get...

Texas Lizard

New Mexico is a beautiful state and I really enjoyed the time spent there, doubt you get get my folks out of the area short of large quantities of dynamite.

It is indeed. I have crisscrossed the state several times, and just like Arizona, it has something to offer to most everyone. :)

You get to eatin' the food there and you'll swear you've died and gone to Heaven! My wife is from Las Cruces (yeah, a little different) but Santa Fe has some good food too. You'll likely fall in love with green chile stew first time you eat it. And chile rellenos. YUM!! It's been some years, but look up a place called Maria's, I believe on Cordova St. Put a bowl of their stew on top yer head and your tongue will beat yer brains out trying to get to it! Might not be my first choice, but I can think of worse places to live.

JHC

Beautiful area. What was probably one of the top 25 places to live in the US, in 1980.

But, that has changed over the last 15 years, as California and other money found out about it, moved in, bought a lot of the housing and put up again as much new housing at, say, over $250 per sq ft. Now have regular water shortages in the summer as the surface runoff hasn't expanded with the housing. Middle class and lower income folks have been displaced out to cheaper housing towns (Espanola, White Rock, Las Vegas, the country side). Lots of folks I know who work in Santa Fe commute the hour+ from Albuquerque each way, each day.

In town, no apartments or rental properties stay vacant for more than a few days. Expensive to live, due to the money chasing prices up.

Weather is a full four seasons. Spring is hardest - windy. Summer is beautiful, never over 95. Fall is the best. And winter, when skiiing is good, is fantastic, but very cold at night.

If you are considering an offer, it would probably need to be 1.8 to 2.5 X what you would think would be adequate in Missouri.

Economy is driven by state capital being at Santa Fe, fairly strong tourism, and money trickling down from Los Alamos National Labs (40 miles away or so). So, it's relatively stable, but no manufacturing, education or engineering/hi-tech work there to speak of.

Oh, I live in Albuquerque and work there, too. Would be hard to get me out of here. Unless there's an empty cattle ranch in some foothills someplace around here.

Good luck, GJ

Exactly Right Joe!!...I'm thinkin of sellin out and maybe movin in New Mex....Colorado is O.k. but not much shootin goin on up here for Cowboys....Might trade 1400 acres here by raton for a place closer to Edgewood to play guitar and sing ...of course I'll have to bring a few head of horses and some "Barela" women too.....Tuco

Well, the resume made it into their hands and they seem to be interested in me. Waiting for a call back from them today. If it sounds reasonable I will probably be planning a trip down there to check things out.

After the Colorado deal I am careful to say I'm doing it or not but it is a step in the right direction.

I'll let y'all know what comes of it.

I seem to be getting more response out of folks a thousand miles away than right here at home. Strange! Makes me a bit sceptical of their intensions.....

But I will keep on goin' 'til something good happens.

Archived