SASS Wire Forum

Want a new hat

Frenchy Cannuck

Have any of you guys and gals done bussiness with Miller hats? http://www.millerhats.com/

I like their stuff and the pricing is real reasonable. I'm almost ready to order.

Whats the word out there?

Frenchy

I have a Miller hat I bought back in 1974-75...still in great shape but needs a sweatband.....otherwise still in great shape.....I never wore it that much for many years but it has held its shape better than some of the newer ones I bought.

Second on DBarJ. I have purchased several hats for Sedona and myself, but none hold a candle to DbarJ.

Dakota Skipper :wub: & I have Roy Jackson build our hats for us.

Jaxonbilt Hats

--Dawg

I have two great hats from Mackey hats out of Shell WY.

Good prices and you'll get your custom hat within a week.

If you don't see a style you like just email them a photo of the style you want

and he will produce that hat.

Ned

www.montanapeaks.net/

Montana Peaks in Oregon does quality work also.Laura will treat you right.

I know you asked about Miller Hats and I have checked their hats out also.It depends on what you want in quality and in what price range.Quality beaver hats are expensive but tougher,lighter in weight,totally water proof ( think beaver ) and will last forever.With that said,I also have some 5x,6x,7x and 10 x hats that all fit the bill also for roughing it and going out in.They have held up pretty well also and may suit your wallet better.100 X beavers are expensive but worth it.I would,however,choose 5x and up.Stay away from the lower x's,they are hot and heavy and not very water proof.

Miller is a good company with a quality product.

All the other makers recommended here are also very good. Some are more pricey than others.

My 2 cents D-Bar J great hats great folks. K A Mule

Scout hat

MuleKick

New/Old Stetson

well my 2 favorite hats are my Scout and my everyday MuleKick and they came from Knudsen Hats (also known as Golden Gate) and they fit perfectly, they cost a good bit and have a long wait, but put it on yer head and you forget the wait immediately.

My "new" favorite hat is one I got used. It is an old beat up Stetson I paid $5 for and then had my pard All Hat reshape it (who is a great hat maker hisownself.) and it looks and fits like I have had it forever.

good shootin

curley

I;v bought a few hats from Golden Gate Hats in Northern California (Knudson?). See ad in CC he is a SASS shooter and will tell you when you will get your hat.

He has a good selection. I think he shoots under "Major Debackal". Good guy.

Dirty Billy has a lot of hats, but can't deliver, he had my order for over 3 months, when I cancelled someone from the place called two days later and said they were ready to ship. I said NO!

Keep them on the metal boys.

Colorado Mountain, best hat I've ever bought. Good Luck :)

Colorado Mt.

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I 2nd this opinion. Just had a 10 year old CM beaver Gus rebuilt into a Boss-of-the-Plains by Smitty. My height has shrunk so much that the Gus was just too tall. Came back perfect.

Check out Clearwater Hats. www.clearwaterhats.com

I bought a hat from them that has survived 20 years of Civil War reenactments - rain, snow and the like.

Just last year I bought from River Junction Trading CO. www.riverjunction.com

Good, and not too pricey.

- Visalia Jake

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

My opine... stay away from The Last Best West hats.

Bought a buncha hats over the years... paid over $500 for about 7 hats in all that time. I got an Amish hat for $75 that is higher quality than a $600 The Last Best West.

My best hats: Colorado Mountain Hat... Smitty's.. is the best I got ... bar none. Check this picture out... this 100% Beaver hat has followed me through countless heavy-snows in the mountains... a true blizzard almost requirin' rescue... miserably monsoonal rains, lasting for days... blistering sun and heat... two hail-storms.... and an ice-storm....

This pic was taken just three weeks ago.... notice the hat is still pristeen....

Colorado Mountain Hat... Smitty's best...

Finest hat of all the twenty-two hats I got....

ts

I just purchased a hat from "All Hat No Cattle". He did a fabulous job and for a reasonable price. I'm fairly sure he'll be at convention this year. I'll look around and try to find his business card.

• 2 months later...

I know that he is otherwise very well reputed but I would wholeheartedly recommend not using Jaxonbilt. I ordered a pair of hats from Roy in late 2007. One for me, one for my father. I do not recall what we paid but I know that they were 50x pure beaver and they are now listed at $370 on his website. Not a cheap hat! I received them July 2008. Dad's hat was perfectly shaped and put together. Mine looked like it was done by a 2yr old. The brim edge looked unfinished, the brim was misshapen and lopsided. Both were the wrong size. Bear in mind that we had done the fitment kit he mails out. I called Roy and politely explained my problem and he told me to return them posthaste. I returned both hats, hoping to get back something special. Dad's hat returned just fine. It fit and it looked good. Mine fit better in that my head would actually enter it now, the brim was still lopsided but the crown crease was so deep I could not fully seat it down on my head. Thoroughly I returned the hat with a letter relaying how disgusted I was with the hat and the whole experience and that I wanted my money back but did not call first. He called once he received it. He was very short, unapologetic, unsympathetic and simply asked if a check was okay. He refunded the price of the hat but did not reimburse return shipping. Today, I would not take a hat from Jaxonbilt if it was free.

Archived