SASS Wire Forum

On Ethics and Clubs

Ben Bitten

I'm not officially a member of any club at this time. I joined SASS at the end of the season in these here parts, and local clubs wont be starting up again until March and April.

My question is this: What are the ethics/etiquette of joining clubs? Is it frowned upon to be a member of more than one club? I ask becasue the two closest clubs to me meet on different weekends, their season varies in length depending on the club, and they are in different states. Club A is an hour away, and meets April through October. The Club B is an hour and forty minutes away and meets March through November. The Club B also hosts the State Championship each year. (I should mention that Club A is in the next state, so it's not likely both clubs would be present in the state championship hosted by Club B ).

I see this as an opportunity to shoot more often and meet more folks... however, I don't want to ruffle any feathers either.

...Now, it should be stated that after visiting each club and shooting with them I may decided I may prefer one club over another - in which case all of this would be a moot point, but I just wanted to throw out the question all the same.

Many thanks

- Ben Bitten

Around here, people belong to and shoot at as many clubs as they can. And yes, clubs do cross state lines to shoot in each others' events.

Don't overthink it, just do it and have fun.

Join 'em all, or one, or none of them. Shoot everywhere you want to and can.

No ethical issues I know of to joining more than one.

Grizz, who is glad we shoot year around in these parts.

Howdy Ben !!

You may notice I am a member of 6, no.. 7 Clubs. ?

I personally feel that is OK in my book.

I really don't shoot much at all any more because of health issues,

But I pay dues at all these Clubs just to help out anyway I can.

When I was still active, I tried to shoot as much as I could at all these Clubs.

Wimp

At many locations it is easy to belong to multiple clubs, sometimes 4 or 5 clubs. Most shoots give a significant discount to members for monthly shooting, so it can save you dollars to belong. The only real issue is that you can not probably work on projects for that many clubs or be an officer for many clubs, although I do know TGs that are TGs for several clubs.

Join 'em all, if you want. Club membership is mostly a means of reliably generating base operating revenue for the club. If you like a club and it makes financial sense to you to join it, do so. Most SASS clubs have an affordable membership fee structure, and joining the club gets you discounts on the match fees (usually). It also usually takes a membership to have a vote for officers and changes to club rules, in case you have an interest in those matters. If you don't shoot but once or twice a year at a club, it would not make much financial sense (to you) to join. But, we ALL welcome "visitors".

Part of your question makes it sound like you think a club would go as an "entity" to shoot at their state match. Nope, at state, you are all individuals. Doesn't matter if an individual is a member of one club or several or even if they are out -of-state (although some state matches limit the "state winners" in a category to being a true resident of the state) . If a club wants to brag that you are THEIR home boy, well, let 'em. No big deal.

Good luck, GJ

In our next of the woods, the "local" clubs work together. We shoot on different days and try to support each other as much as possible. Nothing wrong with being a member of multiple clubs. We are one big family!

Hi Ben,

Join all where you plan on shooting. Your dues probably give you a break on shooting fees and help pay for range improvements (props, targets...).

You will be likely to get some say in voting on the TG Agenda Items (Rule Changes).

Or, don't join any. It really is your choice.

That said, I join when I think I will shoot regularly at a venue. There is only one club I belong to that I haven't shot at in a long time. Hubby and I are considered "founders" and have life memberships.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I currently belong to five clubs and will ad another when I go there to shoot next time. Like many have said, your dues help support improvements and such. Never saw a club that wouldn't step up to support a neighboring club when the chips were down. :FlagAm:

I belong to 2 clubs. As some have said, just paying the dues is generally a help to the club as well as the shooter.

One other thing to think about is how much time you have to contribute.

Clubs need money, to be sure - but they also need a LOT of volunteer labor. Can you come the day before and help set up? Make some new props or fix some old ones? Come early and help with registration? Write stages? Input scores? Be the webmaster? There's an awful lot of work to putting on a match month after month, even more if the club has a big annual match or hosts a state or above match. My personal take (doesn't have to be everybodys) is that I "owe" my home clubs a little extra effort toward helping to get the show on. Two clubs is all I can manage to contribute to enough for me to be OK with it. Living a long ride away or belonging to too many can make helping out more difficult.

Just another thing to think about..........

Clubs exist to have members. Join and support as many as you can.

Around here you can shoot at a different club every weekend just about year round (one local club doesn't shoot in the summer due to the heat). For the most part the clubs in a particular area will shoot on different weekends, so there isn't competition between clubs. You will see a lot of the same folks at every shoot.

lou said it very well...

for you joining $ clube you get a $ discount...

to be a "contribuiting" member of a club and help it grow, you should also contribuit "time" to the club with chores..It takes a lot of work between monthly matches to prepair for the next ones....

SO, join all you will shoot at regulary and "choose" one (or two) that you can contribuite "time" to...

EnjoYYY

lou said it very well...

for you joining $ clube you get a $ discount...

to be a "contribuiting" member of a club and help it grow, you should also contribuit "time" to the club with chores..It takes a lot of work between monthly matches to prepair for the next ones....

SO, join all you will shoot at regulary and "choose" one (or two) that you can contribuite "time" to...

EnjoYYY

good advice here

Much obliged, everyone! :D

Don't overthink it, just do it and have fun.

You hit a nail on the head! I have a tenancy to over-think tings sometimes. Thanks. :)

Part of your question makes it sound like you think a club would go as an "entity" to shoot at their state match. Nope, at state, you are all individuals. Doesn't matter if an individual is a member of one club or several or even if they are out -of-state (although some state matches limit the "state winners" in a category to being a true resident of the state) . If a club wants to brag that you are THEIR home boy, well, let 'em. No big deal.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks, GJ. You actually helped clear-up something that I had been just assuming: that representation at a State match would be done as part of an organization: i.e. - a club. I've been part of clubs before (outside of SASS) that when you participated in a state, or regional, event you participated as a representative of a given club. It's nice to hear that SASS is more laid back about that kind of thing. Actually, it's just one more example that SASS is about having fun first.

I'm not officially a member of any club at this time. I joined SASS at the end of the season in these here parts, and local clubs wont be starting up again until March and April.

My question is this: What are the ethics/etiquette of joining clubs? Is it frowned upon to be a member of more than one club? I ask becasue the two closest clubs to me meet on different weekends, their season varies in length depending on the club, and they are in different states. Club A is an hour away, and meets April through October. The Club B is an hour and forty minutes away and meets March through November. The Club B also hosts the State Championship each year. (I should mention that Club A is in the next state, so it's not likely both clubs would be present in the state championship hosted by Club B ).

I see this as an opportunity to shoot more often and meet more folks... however, I don't want to ruffle any feathers either.

...Now, it should be stated that after visiting each club and shooting with them I may decided I may prefer one club over another - in which case all of this would be a moot point, but I just wanted to throw out the question all the same.

Many thanks

- Ben Bitten

I do not see a problem here. I am a member of 2 clubs and they do not shoot on the same days so it is not an issue for me. No one at either club cares that I shoot elsewhere, heck many of them do too. Keep shootin'!

Clubs often work together. I live on the Missouri/Kansas border. Around here it is rare for two clubs to shoot the same day. The clubs try to avoid conflicting schedules so their shared members can make it to as many shoots as they can each month. The two closest Missouri clubs shoot the first Saturday and Sunday. A lot of people shoot both clubs. One Pard who drives in from about 100 miles away, told me that he and his wife consider it a monthly two day shoot. When the larger club (the Rocky Branch Rangers) has its annual the smaller club shuts down and everybody pitches in to make the annual go well.

On the other side of the state line, there is a similar level of cooperation between the Powder Creek Cowboys (2nd and 4th Saturdays) and the Free State Rangers (3rd Sunday). They even do a joint bullet buy from Missouri bullet. They avoid shooting the same weekend. I am blessed, if I want I can shoot every weekend during the height of the shooting season.

Notice none of the close clubs shoot the same day. The local NCOWS club is an exception, but they are exceptional people.

You know it is funny, but I see a lot of the same people over and over again at all 4 places, but there are a few I only see at one or another club.

I'm in Northern NJ. Rockaway, to be specific. I found the Matamoras Mavericks in PA on the SASS site, and being about an hour north of me I reckon I'll swing by and say "Howdy" in the spring when they start meeting again. They seem to have a good sized club too. I'm open to other PA recommendations too. :) I'm also looking to swing by The Jackson Hole Gang here in Jersey come spring as well. ...unfortunately, NJ doesn't seem to have many SASS clubs.

As a club member you can help a club set up for monthly shoots or do other tasks or donate to help meet their needs....your call. All clubs enjoy attendance at their shoots and aren't really concerned what club they belong too. I personally belong to several clubs and whatever shoot I'm at I will volunteer to help....especially state and regional shoots. It's a lot of fun to participate and it's rewarding to hel

We are one big happy family....

I attend a number of other local matches where members and shooters from both clubs you found, shoot also; they are nice cowboys to shoot with. I think you are well within range of a couple other PA clubs you may want to check out too.

If you want a list I compiled of all PA SASS clubs I could email you a PDF copy. The flyer has a map also to show you the general location of the clubs within PA.

Send me a PM with your email address if you would like to have it.

JS Sooner

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Don't make no nevermind if'n you are a member of several clubs. We live in S/E NE which is kind of like a "4 corners" area. We can and do go to matches in 4 states without driving over 50 miles.

And no, we don't belong to all of the clubs, just a couple.

Mustang Gregg

TG for 2 clubs

As you shoot more you will see that the same shooters show up at all the local clubs cause once a month isn't enough for our habit. Also, be active on the posse with spotting, brass picking, loading and unloading table. Enjoy

KK

Archived