SASS Wire Forum

Sense of humor went too far?

Deja Vous

I have this friend.. and thru the years we have done some pretty crazy things to each other. We lost touch for a while... but with his consideration of moving back to AZ, he has decided it is time to start picking on me again. He has been a brother to me for decades..

Anyhow.. we use to do silly stuff like him sending me "parenting" magazines .. and me sending him "GQ" when he started dating his wife.. lol. Over the past year he has signed me up for about 20 websites using a name of mine that he loves to use, and using my email .... he has my password cuz if anything happens to me he will need it.l Dad it too old to deal with it.. So, he uses my email to sign up for websites, and of course does not pay any fees, he would never do that.. but I get all this junk in my email.... It was funny.. but I am kinda concerned about this stuff.. I mean my photo is floating across the internet.. geesh...

Tonight I( changed my password the minute I started getting email for a new site... How can I tell him to stop it without offending him? I have been guilty in the past of going too far too.. lol... So I can't get mad at him.. But this is a whole new world out there past ordering magazines ... I am a bit worried about it all... should I be? I dunno..

So, guys how can I be nice to him, cuz he is my brother, and yet make him understand that he needs to stop it? Thanks.. Deja

You need to just nip it in the bud. The Internet is worse than the wild west ever was. It is a very dangerous place. Your concerns are warranted. Just tell him in plain language and no uncertain terms that this needs to stop NOW. If he is really like a brother he will understand and comply with your wishes.

Good job on changing the password. Don't give him the new one until and unless he demonstrates he can stop being shall we say less than security conscious.

Some people just get carried away. Assuming he got carried away with a joke and was not being mailicious . . .

Don't give him the new password. First, the very idea of "giving him your password" implies that you only have one password. It is way too easy for someone who discovers that pw to hack all of your accounts.

Put your password in a secure location in your house and tell him where it is. If something happens to you there is no urgent need for someone to find it instantly, a week or two is good enough.

Make up some more passwords, certainly don't use the same one for email and bank accounts. That's a recipe for financial disaster.

Copy your original post and send it to him in an e-mail.

And don't do anything "to get even" or you will just be keeping it going.

If he gets offended by a request to stop, he really isn't your friend.

If he is the true friend you say he is he will understand you concerns for your safety.

Just be honest and open with him, let him know you are serious about this, and let him know your concerns.

My sister used to send in my name and address for free advertising videos for hair loss and the like, a friend back in the day used to go look at new cars and test drive them and then give them my name and phone number...idle jokes are fine and fun, but in this day and age of online predators and identity theft, you can never be too careful.

In the old days, before the Internet, you could goof on friends by signing them up for weird magazine subscriptions.

But today it's a different story. Identity theft and computer hacking are rampant and can seriously impact somebody's life. Just tell him you'd appreciate it if he didn't do it any more because of your concerns. If he's a true friend, he'll understand.

Better yet, if you can't do a face to face then a phone call. Let him know that you're concerned (rightly so) about what is floating around on the Internet from his jokes could cost you employment down the road.

Deja,

Ya gots lots of brothers here ta take care of things for ya. Jus tell him ya need to move on and you still want to be friends but what he is doing must stop. OR YOU WILL SEND YOUR OTHER BROTHERS TA LOOK IN ON HIM :lol:

I have this friend.. and thru the years we have done some pretty crazy things to each other. We lost touch for a while... but with his consideration of moving back to AZ, he has decided it is time to start picking on me again. He has been a brother to me for decades..

Anyhow.. we use to do silly stuff like him sending me "parenting" magazines .. and me sending him "GQ" when he started dating his wife.. lol. Over the past year he has signed me up for about 20 websites using a name of mine that he loves to use, and using my email .... he has my password cuz if anything happens to me he will need it.l Dad it too old to deal with it.. So, he uses my email to sign up for websites, and of course does not pay any fees, he would never do that.. but I get all this junk in my email.... It was funny.. but I am kinda concerned about this stuff.. I mean my photo is floating across the internet.. geesh...

Tonight I( changed my password the minute I started getting email for a new site... How can I tell him to stop it without offending him? I have been guilty in the past of going too far too.. lol... So I can't get mad at him.. But this is a whole new world out there past ordering magazines ... I am a bit worried about it all... should I be? I dunno..

So, guys how can I be nice to him, cuz he is my brother, and yet make him understand that he needs to stop it? Thanks.. Deja

Tell him just like you told us.

Pure and simple works best, I have found.

You need to just nip it in the bud. The Internet is worse than the wild west ever was. It is a very dangerous place. Your concerns are warranted. Just tell him in plain language and no uncertain terms that this needs to stop NOW. If he is really like a brother he will understand and comply with your wishes.

Good job on changing the password. Don't give him the new one until and unless he demonstrates he can stop being shall we say less than security conscious.

I gave him my password so he would have a email because he is going thru a rough time right now. The first couple times it was kinda funny, we use to do stuff like that together in the past with magazines and stuff to our other friends in AZ.. lol But at the end of the day I have to click spam and it is becoming not so funny.. Just hate to hurt his feelings.. he is my pal.. And his life is turning around, I hope..

Some people just get carried away. Assuming he got carried away with a joke and was not being mailicious . . .

Don't give him the new password. First, the very idea of "giving him your password" implies that you only have one password. It is way too easy for someone who discovers that pw to hack all of your accounts.

Put your password in a secure location in your house and tell him where it is. If something happens to you there is no urgent need for someone to find it instantly, a week or two is good enough.

Make up some more passwords, certainly don't use the same one for email and bank accounts. That's a recipe for financial disaster.

I have several passwords, but the email one I did give him. He needed a hidden email account for a while, so I let him use mine. We have played jokes on each other for eternity so I guess I should have known better. But for now he is locked out.. Thanks for the advice.. and yeah, I am careful.. just didn't expect this.. lol

If he is the true friend you say he is he will understand you concerns for your safety.

I would never doubt his friendship... I think all that he is going thru has pushed him to wanting to be funny crazy and silly again like we were when we hung out together. I have told him the internet is not funny... and the stuff he signs me up for is not my taste or style course he knows that, I guess that is half the fun to him. Thanks for your thoughts...

I will do that.. thanks..

What would you do if he really was your brother?

I have real brothers, all older than I am. And remembering my childhood, I would say I would never give them my password.. lol..

They were the very ones to steal all the light bulbs out of my bedroom, unscrew the light in the ceiling in the very long dark staircase and hall way to tread at night before bed..and the ones who dunked me in the river lol.. Their sense of humor, and teasing made me what I am, and I like me just fine.

But, they would stop at nothing to get to me cuz they knew I could not stop laughing...

But Brad, he became my trusted brother. The guy I could go to when my heart was broke, who knew how to fix anything, he was there to hang out with when all I wanted to do was be silly and have fun... We share common interests in horse, ATV's, ghosts towns, wildlife, guns, and friends.

We were pals, he was there for me until he got married of course. He is older than I am, and we were never attracted to each other, just a sort of wacky kind of brother sister thing without the blood in our veins being the same I guess. I feel bad for him, he is too old to go thru all the stuff he is facing.. and I hope it all works out for him.. but I am giving him his own account, with a allias... not mine anymore.

Just be honest and open with him, let him know you are serious about this, and let him know your concerns.

My sister used to send in my name and address for free advertising videos for hair loss and the like, a friend back in the day used to go look at new cars and test drive them and then give them my name and phone number...idle jokes are fine and fun, but in this day and age of online predators and identity theft, you can never be too careful.

Well, you see in the past Brad and I did crazy stuff like this. But it was magazines we paid for.. like Parenthood. or playboy.. that kinda thing.. and there was the one way ticket .. lol... so, his humor is the same, but the internet is a concern to me. He is sort of putting my "name" out there in lights..

In the old days, before the Internet, you could goof on friends by signing them up for weird magazine subscriptions.

But today it's a different story. Identity theft and computer hacking are rampant and can seriously impact somebody's life. Just tell him you'd appreciate it if he didn't do it any more because of your concerns. If he's a true friend, he'll understand.

Thanks Utahs... you are right.. very right and I guess that is why I get so concerned.

Better yet, if you can't do a face to face then a phone call. Let him know that you're concerned (rightly so) about what is floating around on the Internet from his jokes could cost you employment down the road.

Since I will never leave "MY" bank of choice.. lol.. just bragging... thanks matthews.. It could be a problem if work found it... but since he is not using my proper name I guess I am safe..

But I don t' like it.. I mean what if someone sees me out on the streets and goes, oh, hey there you are... geesh... How do I tell them that my nutty friend thought it would be funny to post me all over the darn internet.. Geesh... It could hurt someones feelings or make someone angry.

I am going to call him ... and try to talk to him about it..

Deja,

Ya gots lots of brothers here ta take care of things for ya. Jus tell him ya need to move on and you still want to be friends but what he is doing must stop. OR YOU WILL SEND YOUR OTHER BROTHERS TA LOOK IN ON HIM :lol:

Paladin.. I come to ya all for advice.. but never to protect me.. I have guns.. lol.. He is my friend and has been for years. I didnt hear from him for a long time because he got married and he wife was not so sure we were "just" pals.. Anyhow this year he has been having problems, she found someone else .. well a few someone elses... so he found me again to talk to. It was so nice to hear from him, but still he did sort of dump me as a sister friend.. so not exactly the same anymore.. He wanted to go back to AZ and the horse ranch.. but he is back and forth... I hope his marriage works out, if it does not I would be there only as a friend like I have been all along. WE simply do not click past being pals... Horse, ranch and all or not.. just not a thing there at all. Anyhow... I want him to be happy... and he is trying to work it out.. I hope he does..

I agree that you should tell him simple and reasonable. He is just out of line. And don't give anyone your password, except your Dad.

Well, Dad is POD on my accounts and my life.. lol... "payable on death" lol... He has been in the past my funny silly brother that accepted me, loved me like a pal, and helped me thru some crazy times in life.. lol.. Now he is having as rough patch.. and I am trying to help him. He was getting legal sfuff via email... so my account was being used so his wife didnt' find it. But now she is interested in him again.. So, maybe it will work out.. I sure hope so. there is nothing like a marriage falling apart.. I just don't like being involved in it at all. But, I had to help him.. He was so hurt, and so ready to leave and move back to AZ do the horse ranch again.. lol... I am praying they work it out... he deserves to be with the love os his life. If she would just see how good his heart is.. darn life is hard to understand at times..

Don't try to talk to him, just tell him! He is the one misbehavin!

Whiskeys.. I always talk... and reason... and talk to a higher power.. hence the reason I am in trouble all the time.. lol. He is not on his best behavior, but I do understand. The woman he loves is not faithful, and wanted to be free. And now she is not so sure.. I just do not understand the new way of "being a couple" . and I guess I don't want to anymore.. But I want my old pal to be happy... and there is little I would not do to help him. But this might be the one thing I have to ask him to not do.. and yeah, I do ask... While I am a strong woman in survival instincts.. when it comes to family and friens I am a wimp.. lol

Archived