SASS Wire Forum

Checkered Grips

Waimea

Howdy Pards,

I have standard (smooth) rosewood grips on my OM Vaqueros.

Lately I've been shooting one-handed and was wondering about checkered grips.

So my question is to those of you that have checkered grips:

Do you feel like you have a better control of your pistol than with smooth grips?

To those of you that don't have 'em:

Have you ever thought about getting checkered grips? If so what stopped you?

Thanks again for your answers,

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Ever since I started shooting Gunfighter I had to put on checkered grips. I couldn't hang onto the grips that were smooth. Mac

In Florida it is usually very hot and humid; I sweat so much that the checkered grips really help. I also use pro grip liquid on my hands that help.

Howdy Pards,

I have standard (smooth) rosewood grips on my OM Vaqueros.

Lately I've been shooting one-handed and was wondering about checkered grips.

So my question is to those of you that have checkered grips:

Do you feel like you have a better control of your pistol than with smooth grips?

To those of you that don't have 'em:

Have you ever thought about getting checkered grips? If so what stopped you?

Thanks again for your answers,

Waimea

I have checkered gunfighter grips on my OM Vaqueros. At the end of a long hot day I feel like they really help with the sweat and more importantly give a nice consistent grip to me.

Regards

Gateway Kid

The SASS rules state you cannot enhance gripping with non-period grooving/engraving.

Jim Downing (www.thegunengraver.com) engraved my backstraps which aided gripping a great deal. The large scrollwork adds just enough grip without biting into the skin. I think that the force of my grip is at the front and rear straps, not the side panels. My OMV's with smooth false-ivory grips stay put in hot or cold weather.

It is pretty easy to send him your grip frame. Since it is not the receiver of the gun, no FFL or funky shipping is requried.

My hands sweat more than most folks.

I shoot only duelist of gunfighter.

If the grips are not checkered, I have trouble controlling the pistola after the 3rd or 4th shot.

--Dawg

The SASS rules state you cannot enhance gripping with non-period grooving/engraving.

Jim Downing (www.thegunengraver.com) engraved my backstraps which aided gripping a great deal. The large scrollwork adds just enough grip without biting into the skin. I think that the force of my grip is at the front and rear straps, not the side panels. My OMV's with smooth false-ivory grips stay put in hot or cold weather.

It is pretty easy to send him your grip frame. Since it is not the receiver of the gun, no FFL or funky shipping is requried.

Howdy Tom

I was concerned about what the rules said about grips too.

Here's what I found in the shooter's Handbook on grips on page 8 (bolding added by me):

Checkering, carving, or laser engraving is allowed on fore-stocks, buttstocks, and revolver

grips.

• Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not

customized to constitute a “target” grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic

shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms.

• Revolver grips must conform to the front and rear of the grip frame but may extend beyond

the bottom surface.

• Contemporary rubber grips, modern target grips, grip tape, and the like are not allowed.

Here's what I believe you are referring to on page 10:

• Period style tacks, carving, engraving, checkering, inlays, and other such embellishments

are allowed on stocks and grips provided they do not constitute any kind of radical or target

type grip enhancement.

• Receiver, frame, grip frame, cylinder, or barrel engraving is permitted provided it does not

constitute a grip enhancement.

• No portion of the grip frame may be checkered, stippled, serrated or otherwise modified to

constitute a grip enhancement.

I'm not sure if you're saying checkered grips are good or bad; against the rules or not.

Waimea

I have been shooting a pair of Colt's SAA's for the past year, two handed. Before that (for about 6 months) I was shooting Ruger NMV's.

About two months ago I decided to give gunfighter a try.

Using either pair of the said mentioned guns, I was having problems reaching the hammer with my pinky wrapped under the grip. I was having to reposition my hand in order to cock the pistol.

Using a pair of Ruger NMV's with Super Black Hawk hammers, I don't have the same "control" issue, even with the stock grips.

With that said, I do find I have more control with checkered grips. And the slightly thinner "gunfighter" style grips are even better for me shooting one handed.

Using a pair of Ruger NMV's with Super Black Hawk hammers, I don't have the same "control" issue, even with the stock grips.

With that said, I do find I have more control with checkered grips. And the slightly thinner "gunfighter" style grips are even better for me shooting one handed.

Chief Rick

I changed out both hammers for the Super Blackhawk hammers 2 months ago. LOVE THEM!!

I think the checkered grips are the next step.

W

Chief Rick

I changed out both hammers for the Super Blackhawk hammers 2 months ago. LOVE THEM!!

I think the checkered grips are the next step.

W

Waimea,

Myy first recommendation would be with Outlaw grips but that would require you to send your pistols, or at least the grip frames, to him for fitting. If you don't have something else to shoot, you'd be out of your pistols for a little while (current turn-around time is estimated to be 40 days).

My next recommendation would be for Eagle Gunfighter grips. I have handled the checkered rosewood and I liked them. If I weren't having some action work done by Joe @ Outlaw Grips, this is probably the route I would have taken.

Another option, though... I know several people that like the feel of stag grips. I have no experience with them, but they are pretty and I plan on getting a set for my wifes NMV's and possibly my daughters Colt clones.

Howdy,

First look at how your hand fits the grips.

If your finger is at an angle your bullets may be drifting in the direction

opposite to the hand you are shootin with.

I find the grips work best if they nicely fill my hand and put

my forefinger square on the trigger.

When shooting two handed the fit is much less important.

Get the right thickness, then worry about the surface and materials.

Best

CR

My linkI love my grips.They fit my hands and the checkering in not real deep.They feel really good.I think they just look good too.YES I think they help with the hot weather and the sweat.

Yes they help some of us a lot BUT if the gun does not come with them installed you must be prepared for sticker shock. I could not believe the price quotes that I was getting from pards just to have my cheep factory grips checkered. Compared to the cost of a good quality hand made holster, an action job or a short stroke kit done by one of our top name smiths, I find the cost of one set of fitted grips from the assembly line grip makers to be extremely high. I have a pair of high top Justin boots that cost me less than one set of bottom end Gunfighter grips and I would bet that manufacturing cost of the boots were at least three time higher. That is why some of us have to treat checkered grips like a major firearms alteration, price wise it is.

As to legality of checkering, many manufactures including Ruger, USFA and Colt supply new SASS legal fire arms with checkered grips.

I have always shot Rugers with factory grips which are checkered and like them very much.

Just the view from my rocking horse

McKenzie

You might want try it first without the checkering, I have been shooting Senior Duelist for 2 years and no checkering on my grips, they are smooth, I'm shooting the old style vaquero's before they came out the smaller colt version.

If you have a chance to try somebody's else's out, that would be a big + to see if you like them or not, not everyone does.

All for now JD Trampas

Archived