Favorite song..

Deja Vous

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vaughn Monroe........Ghost Riders in the Sky

Cool Water

Marty Robbins..... El Paso

Had a long list of favorites. It seems I like most music. So I'll just leave it with this and Tex Ritters... Blood On the Saddle

that the sing about: the train the call the city of new orleans it goes:

Good mornin America how are ya.... sa dont ya know me i'm yor native son.....

I'm the trane they cal the city of New Orlean ...

I'll be gone 500 miles before the day is done...

???

Yup that be the one. here is the version by the writer:

that said, here is probly one of the best singers of the song:

curley

"Thank God and Greyhound" by Roy Clark

"I'll Marry You Tomorrow, But Let's Honeymoon Tonight" by Joe Stampley

"You’re The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly" by Conway Twitty

"You Can’t Have Your Kate (and Edith Too)" by The Statler Brothers

"Thank God and Greyhound" by Roy Clark

"I'll Marry You Tomorrow, But Let's Honeymoon Tonight" by Joe Stampley

"You’re The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly" by Conway Twitty

"You Can’t Have Your Kate (and Edith Too)" by The Statler Brothers

Well Bobb

Ifn yer goin that direction, how about any of Mason Williams "Them Poems" (like: Them Moose Goosers etc..)

or his tip o the cowboy hat on "You done stomped on my heart"

curley

ps thanks to the tube:

You done stomped on my heart

First off, don't read anything into this. I'm not suicidal. I just happen to really love this song, and the movie. Hated the series. Alan Alda was NOT Hawkeye Pierce.

Caution: the video may bring back strong and painful memories to some. It does me, and I wasn't even there.

I love playing this song on my harmonica.

First off, don't read anything into this. I'm not suicidal. I just happen to really love this song, and the movie. Hated the series. Alan Alda was NOT Hawkeye Pierce.

Caution: the video may bring back strong and painful memories to some. It does me, and I wasn't even there.

Pulp

Very good, not many remember the movie...which I loved. and the theme song goes well at the psych wards I worked at..

thanks for the memory

curley

Get your tongue out of my mouth, I'm kissing you goodbye -- Waylon Jennings

Get Your Biscuits In The Oven And Your Buns In Bed -- Kinky Friedman

I'll Marry You Tomorrow, but Let's Honeymoon Tonite -- Joe Stampley

I'm So miserable Without You, It's Like Having You Here -- Billy Ray Cyrus

I Ain't Never Gone To Bed With An Ugly Woman, But I Sure Woke Up With a Few -- Bobby Bare

Come on now, this IS the Saloon. :wacko:

As I listen to 95% of my music while driving, I have to pick tunes that keep me sharp, good lyrics, good beat, etc.

If I am in a hurry, its -

Its A Long Way To the Top - AC/DC [who doesn't love a R & R Bagpipe] - which will one day get me the 'mother' of all speeding tickets

Working On It - Chris Rea

Lawyers Guns and Money - ZEVON

Bad Case of Lovin You - Robert Palmer

For the more leisurely trips, it is -

ANYTHING by Hoyt Axton

Hey Joe and Morning Dew by Tim Rose

Finger On The Trigger by Bleu Edmundson

1952 Vincent Black Shadow by either Richard Tompson or Reckless Kelly

Downbound Train by Raul Malo

And the rest of the time, 50's and 60's rockabilly, folk or folk rock

Tull

Get your tongue out of my mouth, I'm kissing you goodbye -- Waylon Jennings

Get Your Biscuits In The Oven And Your Buns In Bed -- Kinky Friedman

I'll Marry You Tomorrow, but Let's Honeymoon Tonite -- Joe Stampley

I'm So miserable Without You, It's Like Having You Here -- Billy Ray Cyrus

I Ain't Never Gone To Bed With An Ugly Woman, But I Sure Woke Up With a Few -- Bobby Bare

Come on now, this IS the Saloon. :wacko:

This MAY be the Saloon Okie, but I am not about to start listing my favorite tunes from some of my David Allan Coe XXX-rated cd's/cassettes.

But, since you lowered the level -

Monkeys Comin Out Of Your A-$ - Dash Rip Rock

Turnpikes Truckstops Trailer Parks - Tom Pacheco

A$$hole from El Paso - Kinky Friedman

Tull

SPEW ALERT ! !

Anybody have Sirius Radio? Sure like Outlaw Country Channel.

Then you are probably familiar with this song.
Tull

I wonder who'll be in the World Sirius this year. It sure won't be the Rockies dang it. ;)

Never cared for the movie, but as for the series:

The first 2 or three seasons were awful, but once they got rid of Rodgers and Stevenson it improved dramatically. Likewise replacing Linville (I really liked him, but hated the character he was forced to play) with Stiers. I also think the Houlihan character evolved to become, effectively, a completely different character from the earlier incarnation. And I have always said that Harry Morgan made that show.

As for Alda, I have never understood why he wasconsidered the star of that show. It would have been SOOO much better without him. His character was pompous, annoying, infantile, self-righteous, arrogant, self-centered and self-important, basically everything most people would despise in a real person. Plus, his character at some point in the show had almost every conceivable mental or psychiatric issue imaginable. Aside from being a raging alcoholic and an womanizer on a staggering scale, he also was claustrophobic, hydrophobic, suffered from sleep-walking and night terrors, had a complete breakdown, suffered from psychosomatic back pain, psychologically-induced sneezing fits, insomnia-induced cognitive problems... and that is just the stuff I recall off the head!

Waaay to many great songs but I'll add a couple to those listed so far

Willy Nelson, My Heros Have Always Been Cowboys, Pancho and Lefty, Blue Eyes Cryin'

Glenn Miller, American Patrol, stands out but I like them all

Roy Rodgers, Don't Fence Me In, Little Joe the Wrangler

Marty Robbins, How do I pick just a couple? Runnin Gun, Big Iron

Tom T Hall, Old Dogs Children and Watermelon Wine, I like Beer

Joan Jett, Dirty Deeds, I wanna be your Dog, Cherry Bomb, Black Leather

And the list goes on and on

Bugs

Been thumbing through this thread...many varied tastes here in the Saloon.

As for me, I have a little more than 24,000 songs in my collection on my media PC (yep, it's a lot but I really like music)....and keep about 3,000 on my MP3 player (Sansa 32GB w/16GB memory card). I have lots of songs I like but my mostest favorite is Closer To Home by Grand Funk Railroad.

My wife and I just got back from a Gaither Homecoming Cruise to Alaska two weeks ago. Went from Seattle up to Juneau, Ketchican, Sitka, Victoria BC and then back to Seattle. We had a Gaither Homecoming concert most every night on the cruise ship. The best song from that cruise was one called "Clean" by the Gaither Vocal Band. If you like Gospel music this is a good one with a great message. You can listen to it on Youtube here..

Big Band....almost anything Glenn Miller

50's....not so much

60's.....The Animals,House of the rising sun

late 60's-early 70's.....ina gada da vida....Iron Butterfly

Country.....hands down...Trisha Yearwood's..The song remembers when

In some ways I feel like I'm fourteen again - asking what animal I'd be if I was an animal . .

So - how about I say it this way - I can answer that question once I figure out which kiss was the best one . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Well, we do agree on meatloaf.. lol

Big Band....almost anything Glenn Miller

50's....not so much

60's.....The Animals,House of the rising sun

late 60's-early 70's.....ina gada da vida....Iron Butterfly

Country.....hands down...Trisha Yearwood's..The song remembers when

I like Roy Orbison... and Marty robbins... Elvis not so much.. not that I disliked it, just nothing I would download as music. The 60's I did enjoy some of the music the Beach Boys had great voices, and then the early Beatles... About all of country eras from Swing, Rickey Tic piano, to currrent music.. I like the nashville sound, some dont. George Strait and Alan Jackson are hard to beat for a older country sound. Ah... music... I love the stories ih country... And currennt muscians are very good players too.. like Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, and Keith Urban... They can play really well. Course if I were to judge them on looks, it would be Vince Gill.. ..

I'm kinda' partial to the Allman Brothers. Ain't Wastin' Time says things I'd tell anybody. Please Call Home has to be the bluest song I know. Midnight Rider is the anthem of the '60s and '70s generation, and Whippin' Post, we've all been there!

Unchain My Heart, by Ray Charles and Joe Cocker is great and Geogia makes ya' just sit back and feel good.

The Long and Winding Road by the Beatles, just fantastic lyrics and a plush arrangement.

Louis Armstrong, What a Wonderful World.

Sweet Dream, by Jethro Tull

Spooky, Classics Four.

Good Vibrations, the Beach Boys.

And, Stand By Me, Ben E King.

I like Roy Orbison... and Marty robbins... Elvis not so much.. not that I disliked it, just nothing I would download as music. The 60's I did enjoy some of the music the Beach Boys had great voices, and then the early Beatles... About all of country eras from Swing, Rickey Tic piano, to currrent music.. I like the nashville sound, some dont. George Strait and Alan Jackson are hard to beat for a older country sound. Ah... music... I love the stories ih country... And currennt muscians are very good players too.. like Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, and Keith Urban... They can play really well. Course if I were to judge them on looks, it would be Vince Gill.. ..

OK...I agree with Roy Orbison and Marty Robbins.Like George Strait and Alan Jackson too,BUT....Trisha has what I think is the purest voice in music.Too many of the 60's groups sounded alike and did pretty much the same thing with a different Band name.Surfing or car songs.Same during the late 70's and early 80's.Disco and heavy metal.

You cain't rule this one out as a favorite either. Great harmonica in the middle.

Did you know this song was a protest, not to VietNam like I always thought, but to the American gun culture. While Fogerty was a gun owner and hunter, he thought we had way too many guns in the US.

OK...I agree with Roy Orbison and Marty Robbins.Like George Strait and Alan Jackson too,BUT....Trisha has what I think is the purest voice in music.Too many of the 60's groups sounded alike and did pretty much the same thing with a different Band name.Surfing or car songs.Same during the late 70's and early 80's.Disco and heavy metal.

I like Trisha, but would have to say Karen Carpenter would give her a run for her money for voice...if she was still alive, sad deal there.

You cain't rule this one out as a favorite either. Great harmonica in the middle.

Did you know this song was a protest, not to VietNam like I always thought, but to the American gun culture. While Fogerty was a gun owner and hunter, he thought we had way too many guns in the US.

Yeah...I forgot about them....and the Moody Blues too.

I kinda like the silly stuff like.....

BEEP, BEEP

DER FURHER'S FACE

DEAD SKUNK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD

HELLO MUDDER, HELLO FADDER

TF

The works of Tom Lehrer

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Lehrer-Collection-CD-DVD/dp/B0039TD73G/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314590644&sr=1-1

And the works of Flanders and Swan

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Flanders-Swann-Michael/dp/B000006T4S/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314590727&sr=1-2

Also selected folk music by lots of folks mostly the non political stuff.... lots of good drinking songs

Humming "show me the way to go home" :rolleyes:

Jeeeez folks, I don't have JUST ONE FAVORITE. I love music, good music, not loud amplified noise.

Some of my favorites are:

Annie Laurie

City of New Orleans

Shenandoah

Orange Blossom Special

Big Iron

I like Trisha, but would have to say Karen Carpenter would give her a run for her money for voice...if she was still alive, sad deal there.

I'd lean toward Ann Murray.

But for pure female vocal power and range Annie Lennox, (Eurythmics.. etc.) :o and Nancy Wilson, (Heart) :wub: are the two best that ever encountered a microphone. Then maybe Aretha.

Pulp, gotta agree with ya 'bout Robert Earl Keen. I like most everything of his I've heard and I think I've got most all of his CD's.

As far as best voice goes I'd add Momma Cass Elliot (Dream a little Dream of Me) and

Bett Middler (Wind Benith my wings) to the list

Great voices!

Hey nobody has mentioned "Chick-a-Boom by Danny Dewdrop, Now there is a true 70's Classic

Bugs

Rock: AJA, Steely Dan

Classical: Beethoven's ninth

Jazz, Chick Corea, anything by him

Country, Patsy Cline, Crazy

man this is hard..........soooo much music out there............:rolleyes:

#1 Highway Song, Blackfoot

#2 Red White and Blue, Lynyrd Skynyrd

#3 Thunder Road, Bruce Springsteen

#4 Desperado, The Eagles

#5 Mommas Don't Let your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys, Willy

I'm really into Classic hard rock, Blues and Blues-rock, lots of '60's and '70's stuff, Progressive rock,(what used to be called Art-rock) guitar-driven jazz, mostly older country, Celtic and Traditional music, Classical, pretty much anything but rap.

Some the guitar players, singers, composers and groups who have inspired me and influenced my own playing over the years would be Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Joe Walsh, The Right Rev. Billy F. Gibbons and "That L'il Old Band From Texas", Leslie West, Pete Townsend, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Ted Nugent, Warren Haynes, Johnny Winter, Neil Young, Dick Dale, The Ventures, Elvis and the Beatles (Of course) Chuck Berry, The Doobie Brothers, the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Eagles, Pink Floyd,The Moody Blues, Kansas, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Marty Robbins, George Benson, Joe Pass, Al Dimeola, Kenny Burrell, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart .. B)

There are others, of course..A BUNCH of 'em! :lol:

Music is such a big part of my life it would be durn near impossible to list all or pick out an all-time #1 favorite song..For the past week I've been listening to the "Band Of Gypsies" album by Jimi..As well as a real gem I found at a used CD store.."Liege And Lief" by Fairport Convention..The Lead singer for the group was the late, great Sandy Denny..Who sang with Robert Plant on Led Zeppelin's "The Battle Of Evermore Forest"..Her vocals on "Reynardine" brings a tear to my eye..What a voice! :wub:

Archived