SASS Wire Forum

- - - new memorial in Washington - - -

This new "memorial" in Washington . . .

. . that I've never heered anything about prior to the unvailing yesterday ? huh :huh:

Whur did the money for it come from ? . .

Anyhow . . . why is it made out of WHITE stone ? . . wouldn't some "other color" of stone have been more appropriate ? :blink:

I don't mean to sound racist but what exactly did this guy do??? Really. Garrett Morgan, a black man from Cleveland invented the traffic light and there's no monument to him even in Cleveland. The list of famous blacks that actually contributed something to society is long and MLK didn't really do anyhting but talk! Big deal.:wacko: Rye

And, It was MADE IN CHINA!!

Drifter :angry:

yep that's the part that bothers me too. Obviously no body in America has any artistic ability

The list of famous blacks that actually contributed something to society is long and MLK didn't really do anyhting but talk! Big deal.:wacko: Rye

Many of those famous blacks would never have an opportunity to contribute anything without MLKs "talk". He turned institutionalized racism on its ear which opened doors that were formerly closed.

Many of those famous blacks would never have an opportunity to contribute anything without MLKs "talk". He turned institutionalized racism on its ear which opened doors that were formerly closed.

I think all I'll add is a +1.

Not to favor a racism debate but does MLK really deserve a monument the likes of AL, TJ, GW?

Are his contributions significant enough that US History books should be rewritten to limit references to AL, TJ and GW only to

cater to MLK?

African Americans made significant contributions to science and technology PRIOR to MLK.

Dr Charles Richard Drew invented the blood bank and mechanisms to store blood plasma.

And to all the couch potatos the potato chip was invented by George Crum.

Garrett Morgan invented the gas mask and patented traffic signal device.

Norbert Rillieux patented a device for refining sugar.

MLK stirred things up.

To be correct MLK did not change things by himself! It took the likes of a Democratic congress and President Lyndon B Johnson.

Time to move on. Next Shooter!!!

I'm not going to post the link, as some people might find it a bit over the top. However ...

Do a search for "MLK Boondocks". You'll find the YouTube link to the Martin Luther King speech from the episode Return of The King.

The gist of the show is that MLK has been in a coma following the failed assassination attempt and has recently revived. He's not happy with what he sees, and isn't shy about expressing his displeasure. It's satire, but the message has merit, not unlike what Bill Cosby has been saying for years.

By the way, you may not want to link to it if you're at work. Might ruffle some feathers.

I don't mean to sound racist but what exactly did this guy do??? Really. Garrett Morgan, a black man from Cleveland invented the traffic light and there's no monument to him even in Cleveland. The list of famous blacks that actually contributed something to society is long and MLK didn't really do anyhting but talk! Big deal.:wacko: Rye

That guy hardly deserves a monument. I curse him every time I find myself at the intersection of two county roads in the middle of nowhere, with visibility of miles in every direction, having not seen another vehicle in ten minutes, and yet here I sit, staring at a crimson orb. At least a stop sign makes a decent target.

That guy hardly deserves a monument. I curse him every time I find myself at the intersection of two county roads in the middle of nowhere, with visibility of miles in every direction, having not seen another vehicle in ten minutes, and yet here I sit, staring at a crimson orb. At least a stop sign makes a decent target.

Then how about Garrett Morgan's Safety Hood and Smoke Protector, one ot the first safety devices for firemen, which was actually used to save some lives.

He actually did invent quite a few things.

Garrett Morgan lived and died WAY before MLK, so did many many others that actually did something. MLK only influenced blacks AFTER the 1960's!:blink:

Archived