SASS Wire Forum

Made a big Reloading boo boo & don't know what to do.

The Incognito Bandito

OK, lemme ask some questions. When the charge was dropped into the case, and the bullet seated on top, was the load COMPRESSED? If so, yep, pull em, and do not re-used "smashed" TB powder. If the load was NOT compressed by the bullet, it's gonna be warm, but depending on the gun involved, not necessarily overly so.

The IMR "recipe" for "off books" use of TB calls for 70% to 100% charge density under any given bullet as safe in modern guns. But compression will quickly send pressures OVER the top. TB is, after all, a fast powder.

at least i'm in good company when it comes to reloading snafus....am thinking bout ordering the horndady collet bullet puller from midway...anyone know if that is ok to use with lead bullets? i read the rcbs one is only for jacketed bullets.

and yes, at least having to pull only 50 bullets isn't too much of a pain.

and for the record both of my revolvers are ubertis. but ya know, i've got AFLAC so if my guns blew up and i lost a few fingers, i guess i could use the Aflac money to buy some new pistols.

on 2nd thought, HELL NO! lol.

thanks again for all the helpful advice my fellow pards!

Gregg

I had a similar situation with about 200 38spl and ordered the Hornady Collet puller and it did not work out with lead bullets. I set the collet to grip tightly in the crimp grove just above the brass and each time I tried to pull a bullet it just shaved off some lead. I ended up using a hammer type puller and each round needed 5 or 6 hard hits (I no longer crimp that tight).

Clemsum

I have just loaded up a small batch (50rds) of new Starline .45 Schofield with some Trail Boss and 200gr. bullets because I wanna try making some mild mid range loads for my revolvers and thought I'd pair up the Schofield brass with the Trail Boss powder.

Prior to doing this I checked and double checked the load data on the Hodgdon website as well as wrote it down on paper to keep near me. Well just now I was looking back over the data on the Hodgdon website for the Schofield (bored I guess)....and something caught my eye....and I realized that I had mistakenly loaded my Schofield rounds using the Trail Boss data for the .45 Colt!

I won't say what the exact powder charge is that I used, but suffice to say that what is listed as being right in the middle for the .45 Colt, is 1.0 grain above maximum for the Schofield!

Also what concerns me is that I loaded them with a slightly bigger sized bullet (instead of .452 bullets, I used .454) which I ordered from Desperado Cowboy bullets.

So now not only do I have an over max powder charge but have oversized bullets. How bad would that pressure be if I shot them as is? Should I shoot them anyway or just forget all about them and load a fresh batch??

Gregg

I'd use this as justification to buy an original Ruger vaquero in .45 Colt, or a Casull in .45 Colt, and use that platform to test fire the.

Pulling bullets is way too much work - I'd shoot them in my special bullet puller, as described above.

Shadow Catcher

p.s. -seriously - I doubt they'd hurt a Ruger New Vaquero either, but that's your call . .

Seldom Seen said he'd shoot 'em.

What planet dija read that on ??? :blink:

I am sorry for you delema, I have another solution. Send them to me, frt paid, I will pull them and keep the brass & bullets.

PULL THEM.

Shenny

This is the tool you want to use to pull the bullets. Make sure you order the right size collet, you'll need a #13 collet for bullet sizes .451-.458

http://www.hornady.com/store/Cam-Lock-Bullet-Puller-1-Each/

TB

Shoot them in a Ruger 45LC and then reload them for the Scholfield. A ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero will easily stand the pressure of those loads. You could also shoot them in a Rifle chambered for a 45LC. Don't really understand all the fuss.. In years past the notable shootist and ex Texas Ranger, Elmer Keith, shot 45 LC loads out of a Ruger Blackhawk that bordered in pressure, the full house loads of a 44 magnum. Those overcharged Scholfield loads are pipsqueaks next to those loads.

RBK

I myself would pull 'em apart. I have a kinetic puller and it's kinda fun, kinda. :rolleyes: You save all yer powder, lead, cases & primers to try again, and ya don't get blowed up. :ph34r:

Been there done that, the pullen' part that is. Ain't that bad......let's be safe out there :)

Knarley

This is the tool you want to use to pull the bullets. Make sure you order the right size collet, you'll need a #13 collet for bullet sizes .451-.458

http://www.hornady.com/store/Cam-Lock-Bullet-Puller-1-Each/

The Hornaday Collet Puller is pure unadulterated S%%T for pulling lead bullets. After mangling every lead 45 Colt bullet I put in the collet and a few cases to boot - then having the handle break ... it went into the recycling barrel. They will pull jackets with long ogives but not lead

Might add: Whack your kinetic puller on a muffin tin ingot of pure lead that one can use right on the reloading bench. Zero marring to the nose of the puller. I broke one hitting it on concrete. And BTW, have never had a bullet drop with 1-2 whacks that was properly crimped. BPCR finger seated - Yes

John Boy, I don't know what your problem with the Hornady cam lock bullet puller is, I have used one for the last 5+ years no problem. You do need to have the right size collet for the bullet diameter your trying to pull. I lent mine to a fellow pard he liked it so much he when out and bought his own.

JMHO,

TB

Bill, the issue with the Hornaday, with the correct 451-458 collet, is the collet does not grip a lead bullet with an ogive that is short. Example the PRS Big Lube and 454190 bullets. Especially if the bullet has a tight factory crimp. Believe me - I tried my darnedest to try to make it work.

Might add in favor of the kinetics - I did a test and can pull a hard crimped bullet (5-8 whacks) in I believe it was one every 26 seconds. I posted the test on the Wire but of course it is now history with the 30 life rule for posts

I seldom take advice off the SASS Wire, just for the simple reason that one never knows just how much real life experience any particular person has had. One just never knows just what type of person you're taking advice from. (The same applies to the whole dern internet, so all you thin-skinned SASS types don't get yer knickers all wadded up)!

I've played this game for a long time and have seen many, many different folks, with all levels of experience and expertise expound on all types of subjects... some know whereof they spoke, other were purveyors of pure hogwash. Even tho' I've never lived in Missouri, their moto of "Show Me" is not without merit.

Those that said "shoot it" up, did you even bother to look at what pressures are generated with various levels of TB. Per the Hodgdon website, a one (1) grain jump in loading raises the CUP by 4,200 units! A full 1/3 of the maximum! The OP said his load was another grain on top of that! What type of pressure do you think that'll generate? Do you even have the slightest clue? I'll venture to say the answer is "no". I for one surely don't. But, you idiots are willing to risk a pard's guns and possible injury just so you can look cool and seem to be knowledgeable. Not to mention others nearby if the worst does happen and shrapnel results. Please list all ranges and clubs you shoot at... I DO NOT want to be anywhere near you.

The rules about posting actual load data on this site are not without cause. Sure this can present problems. But, given the responses to this thread... fully understandable. Like I said, uncommon good sense is all to rare. And, some of you need to rethink just how big your "jones" are.

Take your best shots.

Now, the discussion of Kinetic vs. Collet pullers can continue. (I'm in the Kinetic camp... I'm cheap, and like salvaging my components). And having pulled 200 bullets from some .45Colt loads loaded with BP (found a squib with no powder and pulled the balance to be on the safe side), I know there's NOTHING to fear from a Kinetic puller.

Borrow someone elses 45 colt and try a few rounds! Everyone is right pull them. About two beers and you'll have them all pulled. I loaded 500 223's a little to hot. That was like a 12 pack!

John, thanks for both offers but ... I have the kinetic down to a science and it works every time:

* Loosen collar so round can be slide into the collet

* Tighten collar

* 3-5 whacks = light crimp. 6 -10 crimps = heavy crimp

* Loosen collar and tap edge of collar on the lead ingot ... brass comes partially out and can be extracted with fingers

* Collar still loose - slide another round in and start again as needed

Unless I empty the puller, the collar is never removed from the puller

Call Hodgdon and talk to Mike Daly.

Thanks Rowdy... I couldn't remember his real name.

I have seen this quote, or things similar to it, in many forums.

"Mike Venturino reported in GUNS magazine that even with a double charge Trail Boss won’t reach proof load pressures. That may well make this the safest powder available."

I just found this one doing a Google search.

I also recall one that said a double charge of the max listed load would either overflow the case, or if by some chance it didn't, it would still be below the max pressure for the cartridge.

There is also the "formula" for using Trail Boss for cartridges for which no data exists where by you figure out where the bullet sits in the case, and you put in powder to that line for a max load, go 70% for a starting load.

(For what it's worth, I used this formula to develop a load for .32-20 with 100 grain bullets. Even though it used more powder than was listed as the max for either the 90 or 115 grain bullets, it still had less recoil than Remington facotry ammo.)

All of that makes me think that if you could seat the bullet in the Schofield cases without compressing the powder, you have a safe, if possibly stout, load.

Even given that reality, I would probably pull the bullets and start over. Or at the very least see if the powder charge is in that 70% to just touching the base of the bullet area. If it is, I'd use them. But, better safe than sorry.

There is also the "formula" for using Trail Boss for cartridges for which no data exists where by you figure out where the bullet sits in the case, and you put in powder to that line for a max load, go 70% for a starting load.

HK, believe that folks are skittish when Hodgdon says just use 70% and no compression. I know when it 1st came out I backed away from using it.

And I'm with you about your 32-20 load. I loaded some 8.15x46R's with TB and with the lower pressure - accuracy was not there out to 300yds. Now, go figure on this: I have a gallery downloaded recipe with TB in a 32-40 (US caliber for the 8.15) and it is a tack driver @ 25 and 50yds

I had 127 .38sp bullets to pull a few weeks ago and investigated various options. The best advice I got (and what I did) was to remove the toolhead off my Lee turret press, put the loaded round in the shellholder and raise the ram to the top of the stroke. The bullet was high enough on the loading press for me to use a pair of diagonal pliers to hold the bullet firm enough, rest the pliers on the top of the turret head and then just lower the ram and viola, out popped the bullet. The crimp was not too tight and I was able to remove the bullets in pretty short order. Of course the bullet had a groove on each side where the pliers held it but it did not stop me from reloading the bullet back and shooting it. I reloaded them and use them for practice rounds.

Better luck than I had. My bullets ended up in the lead pot, but the pulling job still went a whole lot quicker! Smithy.

I have pulled my bullets. Went to BassPro/Outdoor World yesterday and got a Frankford Arsenal bullet puller. This morning while I watched TV sat and pulled all 50 rounds. Didn't take too long and was quite easy. Now they have been reloaded with the PROPER amount of powder! Just another lesson for me that you can never ever be too careful.

Archived