SASS Wire Forum

Another old Winchester question

Bodine

My best buddy in the world has an original Winchester lever gun (cannot recall which model right off) in .25-20 that we have shot for fun back when we was both younger and full of... never mind, ya'll know what I mean. Anyhow, we used to reload after work during the week and go out and blow it all at our hillbilly gun club on the weekends. He has offered to let me use it if there's any chance that this is allowed in the shoots. It sure is a sweet little shooter as I recollect. What's the scoop on this pards?

Thanks,

Bodine

Bodine, may I direct you to page 9 of the SASS Handbook for rifle calibers to answer your own question...

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/2011ROMaterials/SASSHandbook-17-2011.pdf

Thanks for the help! I should mention to everyone that I am in a rural area and all I have is an old dial-up connection, an old computer, and a crappy internet provider. Some things will load fine on some days, not so much on others. Some stuff doesn't load at all, and my browser is too old for a lot of stuff. Tried to upload some updated stuff but my old 'puter just freezes up.

Today is one of those not so much days and the 'puter just won't load the handbokk dangitt! Looks like I'll have to go to the college library in Sedalia and print me off a copy.

I appreciate the effort to help me out though!

Bodine

Must be center fire of at least .32 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited

to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50. No rifle

calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed.

• Buckaroo/Buckarette Category competitors choosing to utilize 22 caliber firearms must use

standard velocity .22 caliber rimfire ammunition only.

Thank you John Boy! I really need a copy of that handbook now! So kids can shoot the .22s huh? Definitely gonna have to read-up on this stuff, I think I just got hooked for sure on that.

Ya'll are just great! (don't worry, I won't tell anyone and spoil a hard earned bad reputation, I know how hard it is to build one up and maintain! ;) )

Bodine

Howdy Bodine

Welcome to SASS!!

Keep in mind that CAS is hard on guns...most of my rifles and shotguns look like I drug them to the match !!!

Loooong time ago, a buddy of mine had a Winchester 92 in 25-20 rifle (long barrel) it was sweet!!

Was always trying to sale it to me for 50 bucks...Dang it, at the time I was taking home 35 bucks a week.

Always think of it as the one that got away!!

BH

Yeppir, I might not wanna put it through the rigors of competition, I'd hate for anything bad to happen to it on my watch. I'd hate to ruin a long standing friendship over somethin' like that. Thanks again gents for puttin' up with new-guy syndrome.

If I decide to do this though, I'll most likely go with a Rossi M-92, something pre-safety. I never owned one but have fired several over the years and of all the lever guns I've evr held, those were the most comfortable for me.

Bodine

Thanks for the help! I should mention to everyone that I am in a rural area and all I have is an old dial-up connection, an old computer, and a crappy internet provider. Some things will load fine on some days, not so much on others. Some stuff doesn't load at all, and my browser is too old for a lot of stuff. Tried to upload some updated stuff but my old 'puter just freezes up.

Today is one of those not so much days and the 'puter just won't load the handbokk dangitt! Looks like I'll have to go to the college library in Sedalia and print me off a copy.

I appreciate the effort to help me out though!

Bodine

Howdy Bodine. If it helps, I could email a copy to you. Might be a way around your problems. It's a 296K file, so it should go thru just fine.

If you think it'll help, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you one.

Welcome!

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I have used my Winchester M-92 (built in '07, I recollect) once in a while.

It is a fun rifle, but it ain't fast (right tight action), which can be a good thing since hits on steel are hard to hear and see both. :rolleyes:

Mustang Gregg

IIRC, the 25-20 has always been grand-fathered in since the early days of SASS. There are exceptions to the caliber requirements. The 56-50 Spencer for example is a legal main match caliber.

Go ahead and shoot that gun for starters and have fun with it. I don't think anyone will mind or say anything about it.

Now when it comes to buying a main match rifle, do not buy a 92. Look a little harder and at least try to find a used Marlin 94. 92s just do not work well for CAS.

Better yet use the 25-20 until ye kin save enuff shekels for a Uberti (NOT Chaparral) 66 or 73 and you'll have a way more harmonious outcome.

I bust out the 25.20 every now and then, sometimes I'll load some up with Triple Seven.

Hardest thing about 25.20 is getting the brass.

And losing brass at a shoot is worse than losing socks in the laundry.

I bust out the 25.20 every now and then, sometimes I'll load some up with Triple Seven.

Hardest thing about 25.20 is getting the brass.

And losing brass at a shoot is worse than losing socks in the laundry.

Cemetery:

+1!!

heheheeh

Mustang Gregg

Thanks for the feedback everyone. So the Rossi M-92 don't work huh? That's a big dissappointment to me. I really don't feel "right" with those others. The Uberti Henry clones are just too awkward to me, the length of pull is a bit long for me (short arms)and I like the 20" carbines more than anything.

Same with the 1866 and 1873 Winchesters, too long in the stock, just can't get comfortable with those guns for some reason. Dangitt.

Oh well, at least I ain't decided what to do yet.

About them socks; one of my navy shipmates had hat figgered out. He says there's a planet of aliens with only one foot, and ever so often they come down here to raid. They have special attachments on their ships to hook-up with out dryer vents and suck out one sock and leave in a flash. I think he had it right! :lol:

Bodine

There are thousands of people using Rossi Model '92 in Cowboy shooting. Don't be fooled by listening to one guy. When Cowboy action started people were using '94's and went to '92's because of cartridge length. Marlins back in the 80's were Jamamatics.

Last 5-8 years the Hot Dogs in the game found the 66's and 73's can be short stroked and flocked to them like a duck to water.

I still use a '92 Rossi and several Winchester 1892's. I won a World Champ Modern category in 1994 with a Rossi 92 in .44 mag.

If you like a Rossi '92 and can get one, do it.Ask about Nate Kiowa Jones and how he can smooth them up. Start a thread asking how many use a Rossi '92, you'll be surprised how many still do. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Well thanks, I almost thought about abandoning the quest if the 92s weren't gonna work. I've had 94 Winchesters a few times, and just never liked them either. Not a big fan of the Marlin lever guns either, just don't "feel" right to me.

Back in 1990 or '91 I bought the Win. 94 AE when they did the 30" barrels. I used it deer hunting one season and found out they stopped production and sold it back to the gunshop for three times what I bought it for (still had the box and all paperwork). That was in .30-30, and I wish I would have bought the one the shop had in 7X30 Waters 'cause it was even more valueable after the factory stopped making the 30" barrels!

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the advice and I'm sure glad to know that gun will work. Won't be doing any buying until I get out and see what the hobby is like though, still in "browsing mode" here. ;)

Bodine

Yeah, Here's one of them 92's (Miroku Winchester in 44-40) that don't work for CAS:

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/vrieze42/?action=view&current=BuzzardatMSShoot.mp4

P.S. It was good enough for a 9th overall place at the Iowa State shoot.

Buzzard (who says that a 92 works just fine!!!)

Bodine,

Don't wait to save up the money for a 73 or 66. They are pretty expensive firearms. It is more important that you start shooting than it is that you wait for the fanciest gun. It will take you a couple of years, at least, until you are able to take advantage of a slicked up 73 or 66 and will feel the need to replace a 92. At least that's how long it took me and I think thats about how long it took Deadwood Slim. My 92 is in 45 and is my go to brush gun as well as my main match backup. Slim slicked up his own using Nate Kiowa Jones' howto video. I had Nate do mine, but Nate is one of the busiest smiths on the planet. It takes months for him to get to a gun. You have to take a number and stand in line.

Now if you can find a used Marlin you might be in the same price range as the Rossi 92, but I have seen lots of Marlins train wreck despite what people claim. The key thing to remember about any rifle you use in cowboy shooting is overall cartridge length. If you find the right cartridge length for your rifle any of the guns will run fine. If you don't, you will think you have a jam-o-matic and it doesn't matter if you are using a 92, a Marlin, or the slickest of the slickest supershort stroked 73.

As to the rifle your friend is willing to loan you, that might be too nice a gun to use regularly. I know that a lot of us would sure love to see it.

I use this some

25-20 Info

You have a Model 1894 that was made in 1907 or shortly thereafter. The special-order 26" barrel is 2" longer than the standard 24" for this model. The special-order sights sound like Beach and/or King's but could also be other brands. Sounds like a nice set-up for bunnies and other small game.

Since your folding front sight has an ivory bead, it probably is a Lyman #5 and not a Beach. (is it gold washed? All Beach front sights were gold washed) The tang sight with locking lever is a Lyman #2A. The rear barrel sight is either a Lyman #6 (should have a white diamond, not a line) or, since you said it had a white line, it may be a Winchester Express sight. Hard to tell without seeing it. Marlin offered Lyman sights through their catalogs so I would tend to think most of the sights, if original to the gun are Lyman sights. I hope this helps.

I also have a new Marlin Ducks unlimited .25-20 that my brother-in-law add a full length mag tube to so it was usable as a main match gun.

Hello the camp! Bramble Mtn Buzzard beat me to the draw. I use a Win/Miroku '92 in .44-40; it's a group faster than I can operate it. I opt for Marlins cuz they're so easy to work on. I'm not dexteranuius or whatever to spend 1k for a '73. Marlins been berry berry good to me. My .02

Oh, yeah, this shows how long it's been since I read the 'rules'. .25-20 was good-to-go when I started and I thought it still was. Main, if any, thing against it is it's the reason most stages don't end with rifle--.25-20 were lousy to pick up with the timers we had. mm

Archived