SASS Wire Forum

Knockdown Rack

Creeker, SASS #43022

One of my clubs has a newly purchased six plate knockdown rack.

I would like to incorporate this rack into a stage and use it for BOTH rifle and pistol.

Something along the lines of from position one - engage rifle knockdowns and dump plate for 10 rounds - move laterally along firing line to position 2 and engage shotgun - move downrange and engage knockdowns and dump plate for 10 rounds.

But to do this - between the rifle engagement and the pistol engagement - the knockdowns are going to require resetting.

I could simply assign a knockdown resetter to pull the rope and lift targets up as soon as the rifle is empty and made safe - while the shooter is on their way to engaging shotgun targets.

But I was hoping for something a little more clever or interesting.

I was thinking about having the shooter reset the targets for their self and they do reset pretty easily, but I have to keep in mind that easy for Creeker may not be exactly the same for a Grande Dame or a Buckerette (and as soon as you begin allowing some to have resetters and making others do it for themselves - you have two different matches going on).

So I am open to ideas, suggestions or any way you may have ever seen this handled.

How is it handled???? They are used as pistol OR rifle targets, but NEVER both in the same stage.

RBK

How is it handled???? They are used as pistol OR rifle targets, but NEVER both in the same stage.

RBK

Yeah, way to think outside of the box. It's never been done before so we can't do it. That's the American spirit. :rolleyes:

Creeker, set up a lever mechanism so that resetting only requires a pound or two of pull. ;)

Done it before; shooter is seated in a buckboard with long guns staged on the floorboards and pistols in provided holsters and has to haul on the reins (that happen to be copnnected to the reset mechanism) midway through the stage so the targets are reset.

If you happen to have someone that can't provide the muscle you can always have another posse member take care of it for them.

Just have Philly Slim run out and re-set'em. ;)

He can do it FAST B) ......I saw him RUN to the chow line, he was making his own "dirt devils" that boy ran so fast :lol::o

OR, was he run'n FROM the sheep dip tank? Don't recall now :D

Cheers,

LG

Done it before; shooter is seated in a buckboard with long guns staged on the floorboards and pistols in provided holsters and has to haul on the reins (that happen to be copnnected to the reset mechanism) midway through the stage so the targets are reset.

If you happen to have someone that can't provide the muscle you can always have another posse member take care of it for them.

Yeah .that was a coo; stage !!!!!!

Just have Philly Slim run out and re-set'em. ;)

He can do it FAST B) ......I saw him RUN to the chow line, he was making his own "dirt devils" that boy ran so fast :lol::o

OR, was he run'n FROM the sheep dip tank? Don't recall now :D

Cheers,

LG

I wuz runnin' FROM Sour Kraut. :blush:

i must be missing something.... have someone pull the rope/cable and reset them while the shooter is on the shotgun targets.

No - you are not missing anything.

That would the easy, simple, sure fire way to complete the task at hand...

In other words - that would NOT be the Creeker way to do it.

We might still end up going with the simple method, but if there are other ways that might add "flavor" to the stage, I would like to consider how to do it those ways first.

I'll start with: not knowing the cost, wouldn't the simplest solution be to get a second rack?

You could try some fun stuff with that - just have to work to get it reliable!

You could set up a pulley or lever system with ropes or possibly chain and simulate a and brake on a wagon.

Or set up a dynamite detonator type of system, push it down to reset the plates.

Get a pully and a rope and hang enough weights to reset the targets. The lever will release the weights which will reset the targets. Of course, with the reset arm pulled by the weights, it's going to take some serious loads to knock them over the second time.

I'd just go with a designated rope puller between the rifle and pistols. Sometimes, simple is best.

Who are you and what have you done with Creeker? :P

Yes - It is ALWAYS about the shooting match first.

But if you can season that shooting match by doing something interesting that will not change the outcome.

I am never against that.

This thread gave me an idea. Building on the idea of a hanging weight how about using a shotgun target to trip the release of this weight to reset the plate rack. Maybe the first of 4 shotgun knockdowns is the reset target and this gives it a little time to reset before you shoot the plate rack again. You shoot shotgun from another position before running downrange to finish on the plate rack with pistols and this would add some more reset time if needed. If you could get the details to work this would be a real fun stage and fun to watch too.

Maybe I am missing something here. If you can come up with some way (leverage) to make the reset possible for everyone, where is the problem. It seems that most people's problem with this idea is that A):They have never done it so it's bad OR B):it might not reset when someone tries to hurry through it and does not completely reset it. This seems like a good idea to me. Don't we penalize shooters for going too fast and missing targets? Isn't this just the same thing, and a GREAT IDEA? With the reset rope on a reasonable lever (buggy brake handle, pitch fork, or something else fun) let them do it. I like a stand and deliver stage as much as someone else, but doing fun stuff is cool. You might not want to do this at a state shoot, hanging kinda hurts the first time.

Archived