SASS Wire Forum

Mixing Vaquero with a clone

Initially, cycling the action of a Vaquero will feel .... foreign. You can get use to it.

I've never personally been able to shoot a Vaquero for beans. So I don't. I just stick with SAA copies (hate the term "clone").

Coffinmaker

Well the New Vaquero made from 2004 forward is similar in heft/size/feel to any of the closer Colt clones. Should be no problem. The older ones (now out of production) are built on an oversize 44Magnum-class frame and that's a different beast!

The only real difference between a NewVaq and a closer Colt replica is the loading drill. As long as you're not loading on the clock, shouldn't matter. My understanding so far (I don't shoot SASS yet) is that SASS mostly doesn't do that. The Ruger loads and unloads with the hammer fully down. Opening the loading gate unlatches the cylinder. It's actually a better system and is overall faster.

Any post-1973 Ruger (including all the Vaqs, old and new) will have a transfer bar ignition and are safe to carry six-up. You can't in SASS of course but if you press it into other duties that can be of benefit. I carry my NewVaq357 as a daily carry CCW piece so I pay attention around here to the tech. Mine is...yeah, seriously no longer SASS legal :). The gas-powered auto-shell-ejector system ensures that. The magazine feed system in development (over 12+ round capacity with no reloads) will seal the deal :D.

I have both and I don't think I would use a Ruger New Vaquero and a SAA together. The difference in loading can lead to mistakes under pressure. They do feel different in cocking the hammer and you do get used to the feel over time but IMHO its best to have the pair the same style of action. For me I shoot my two SAA's or my two New Vaquero's. Both can be great guns and you should go with what you like. Maybe you can barrow or rent one to see how they feel and then decide for your self.

I have both and I don't think I would use a Ruger New Vaquero and a SAA together. The difference in loading can lead to mistakes under pressure. They do feel different in cocking the hammer and you do get used to the feel over time but IMHO its best to have the pair the same style of action. For me I shoot my two SAA's or my two New Vaquero's. Both can be great guns and you should go with what you like. Maybe you can barrow or rent one to see how they feel and then decide for your self.

I have a pair of short barreled pistols made up of a Colt and a Ruger, and it makes absolutely no difference.

In those RARE instance when you have to load a sixth round on the clock you look at the gun and it's pretty apparent what to do . . . .

As far as trigger feel, and all that sort of stuff . ..If you're thinking about that when the clock is ticking . . you're wasting so much time it's moot . . ..

Just make sure you know how the gun operates - then trust to the force . . .

Shadow Catcher

Easy enuff to get around that. I load 'em all including Rugers the same. Load one, skip one, load four, cock and de-cock. Never spin the cylinder checking for high primers either. To answer the original question -- I never use two Colt copies to shoot CAS. It's either two old Vaqueros or a Colt copy and an old Vaq. Sure there is a little different feel but so what -- you get used to it.

Howdy

No problem at all. When I first started this game I was shooting a mismatched pair of 'original model' Vaqueros, a Stainless 5 1/2" and a blued 7 1/2". One day I got lucky and found a 2nd Gen Colt at a terrific price. So I retired the Stainless Ruger and paired the Colt (4 3/4" barrel) with the 7 1/2" Ruger.

Never had any problems, despite the differences in frame sizes, loading routines, and barrel lengths.

Eventually I got lucky again and replaced the 7 1/2" Ruger with a 7 1/2" 2nd Gen Colt.

Howdy

No problem at all. When I first started this game I was shooting a mismatched pair of 'original model' Vaqueros, a Stainless 5 1/2" and a blued 7 1/2". One day I got lucky and found a 2nd Gen Colt at a terrific price. So I retired the Stainless Ruger and paired the Colt (4 3/4" barrel) with the 7 1/2" Ruger.

Never had any problems, despite the differences in frame sizes, loading routines, and barrel lengths.

Eventually I got lucky again and replaced the 7 1/2" Ruger with a 7 1/2" 2nd Gen Colt.

That's what I shoot currently, but at least the trigger and mechanism 'feel' the same...however, I am getting a 5 1/2" to match my other one. But sure...mix n match is fine - gotsta do what one gotsta do!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I shoot a Ruger NMV and an Uberti SSA and I haven't had a problem yet.

I had that mixed combination for a while, but the problem fixed itself. The Uberti clone was broken 6 months out of the box, shooting only sub sonic cowboy ammo. Got it fixed and traded it for a used OMV and not a single problem since!

BSD

It probably won't make any difference unless you are planning to get (or are) seriously fast. Or if you are going to shoot Gunfighter category.

That said, please note that all of the top shooters (to my knowledge) use pistols that are identically paired.

I shoot tuned OMV's most of the time. I also have a Colt Bisley (ca. 1902) in .32 WCF and a Uberti Thunderer .45C witha 3.5" abrrel. This gun is a travel gun for me. I often shoot it to in monthly matches to stay'warm' with it. The only real difference is that the Colts and clone can be readressed if your thumb slips while cocking with no problem. Do the same in the Ruger and enjoy the Ruger-go-round as you have to fully cycle the cylinder to get back to the unfired cartridge. I do not know if this is the case with the NMV's.

I have a pair of short barreled pistols made up of a Colt and a Ruger, and it makes absolutely no difference.

In those RARE instance when you have to load a sixth round on the clock you look at the gun and it's pretty apparent what to do . . . .

As far as trigger feel, and all that sort of stuff . ..If you're thinking about that when the clock is ticking . . you're wasting so much time it's moot . . ..

Just make sure you know how the gun operates - then trust to the force . . .

Shadow Catcher

+1

In thinking about my experience with using both at the same time I closed the gate on my SAA and then went to spin the cylinder to lock it on the empty chamber (like I do on the Vaquero) and it kept going. I do the load one skip one on both types of guns. It was just the range with no clock running but during a match it would not have been as nice and easy to deal with. I don't know that it would normally happen though. I just normally shot one or the other and maybe if I shot one of each more it would not have happened.

Not exactly a Ruger and a clone but...

I normally shoot Ruger OMV's. When I try to use my Ruger NMV's from the same holsters I have a hard time locking my grip on the plowhandle securely w/o a bit of fumbling. The NMV's do not really sit any farther into the holsters, the grip and frame is just small enough to throw off the muscle memory I have developed for the larger OMV's. It takes me longer to grab the smaller revolver securely. How long? Seems like way too long when trying it with a timer. ;) If I was shooting at a nice relaxed pace and taking my time, the smaller gun size would not be a problem. But, as I try and speed up a little, going back and forth between the two different gun sizes does pose an issue. If I try and grab the smaller pistolas at match speed, I notice what seems to be a huge difference in my ability to securely and safely get a proper purchase on said six shooter.

With practice and not switching back and forth I would imagine I would relearn/retrain my muscle memory and the smaller guns would not be a problem. I do have larger hands though, and they seems to really be more comfortable with the larger guns.

I would imagine shooting a Ruger NMV with a Colt copy would be a much better match. If you are going to try the larger Ruger OM against a Colt copy, use caution or just go slowly. That would throw a hitch in your kink.

:D

I am thinking of replacing one of my pistols and am considering a Vaquero. Would there be any concerns to pairing a Ruger with a Colt clone, such as an AWA? I have never used a Vaquero, so I'm not sure what differences to expect.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I have a NM Vaquero and an AWA Peacekeeper.. The only issue I see is during the loading/unloading phase they can work differently. Not a big deal if you're not in a hurry or under pressure.

Truth be told, I shoot the Ruger better, and have been thinking about switching out the AWA for another Ruger!

Casey..

Here’s my take. I use to shoot a 4 ¾ birdshead Uberti and a Ruger OMV. I did ok but when I switched to two of the same grips it helped my consistency a lot. Anything that is different will take adjustment and I want to rule all that out that I can….not add to it.

If you’re just having fun go for it…..if you’re trying to shoot at the best possible level you can you want your pistols to match. Barrel length, grips, action, trigger and hammer tensions etc. Little things can make a big difference and when you hone your muscle memory to a fine edge the last thing you want to introduce is differences. I’m 100% sure I could pick up any guns out there and do ok with em’…..but I’ll do way better with the guns I’m use to and even better if I can’t tell one form the other.

No problem, after my 2 old model Vaqueros were stolen I shot with a new model Vaquero & a Taurus Gaucho both 5 & 1/2 inches. I did change the Ruger grips to a Vintage grips to match the Gaucho. Other than at the loading table I don't notice any difference. I did add hammer stops to both guns and had action jobs done on both. I bought another new model Vaquero and couldn't find Vintage replacement grips any longer so I'm still shooting the Gaucho.

Archived