SASS Wire Forum

Targets

Dorado

Ok, so I'm a big fan of kinetic targets. Targets that move around. What are some of your favorites? I'd like to see what others use.

My wife shoots a stainless shotgun. When asked if it is stainless by the historicaly correct nazis, she tells them it is imitation nickel. There are a ton of stainless guns at all SASS matches. Enjoy yours

Regards

Cheorkee Gambler

I like trolls. You seem to be volunteering.

Where'd that come from Mack??

He's got over 300 posts, so he's not some stranger blowing in to start something, He's got his SASS number listed, so he, again, isn't some outsider trying to pontificate on what we are doin' 'wrong'.

In short, he ain't a 'troll', he's a feller askin' a question and you, sir, are just being rude.

Dorado,

I'm partial to most any kind or reactive target. I appreciate the instant feedback you get when you hit one..

I've always had very good luck shooting the Texas Star, so, as a result, I like it. Never had the opportunity to shoot poppers or other reactive targets, limited experience, I guess.

We're shooting a Polish Plate Rack I built last summer. Ten knock off targets like on a Texas Star mounted five on each side of a bar with a center bearing so the bar can rotate. There is a piece of pipe on each end which contains a solid weight. We give a ten second bonus if you can knock off all ten targets without having the end weights fall out.

It's much more challenging than a Texas Star.

Here's a picture.'

Polish Plate Rack

Sage Creek Gus

Bigfork, Montana

Where'd that come from Mack??

He's got over 300 posts, so he's not some stranger blowing in to start something, He's got his SASS number listed, so he, again, isn't some outsider trying to pontificate on what we are doin' 'wrong'.

In short, he ain't a 'troll', he's a feller askin' a question and you, sir, are just being rude.

Dorado,

I'm partial to most any kind or reactive target. I appreciate the instant feedback you get when you hit one..

John,

I don't know if you noticed that he made this post immediately after his post asking why we don't outlaw Marlins and Rugers. The combination of posts seemed to be poking all the speed shooters with a sharp stick. Anyone could predict what kind of reaction he was going to get. I'm sure he knew that and, therefore took my response as it was intended, with tongue in cheek. If not, I certainly apologize.

I like reactive targets as well, but don't really expect the majority of strong opinioned shooters on this wire to feel the same.

Mack,

I'm pretty strong opinioned and I love reactive targets. Why do you think we wouldn't?

Possum

If you like reactive targets you might consider attending our special "Contraption Match" which is the fifth Saturday in July this year.

Last year we had our Polish Plate Rack, three Texas Stars, rolling targets that drop weights when hit, swinging targets, flipper targets and KD targets. There isn't a single stationary target in the match.

Here's a link to the stages we shot.

Bigfork Contraption Match

Sage Creek

I like the Texas star, the wowwee- zowwee, the running buffalo, the tombstone all in a row thingy.

I like knock-downs that send a clay-pigeon a flying!!

I like the bowling ball release that runs a target across the berm!!

I like shooting the hatchet out of the Indians hand.

And I like shooting the chip off the cowboys shoulder!!

And anybody who don't agree is a nine fingered four flushing sheep herder, son of an egg sucking mule.

Goat smelling, conniving, lily livered, dry gulching, bushwhacking, back shooting lop eared galoot.

Lower than a snake in a wagon wheel rut.

There’s a stage leaving at noon, be on it!!

Ya pumpkin headed, rotten son of a plunderer.

Course that's just my opinion!!

BH :P:P:P:P

If you like reactive targets you might consider attending our special "Contraption Match" which is the fifth Saturday in July this year.

Last year we had our Polish Plate Rack, three Texas Stars, rolling targets that drop weights when hit, swinging targets, flipper targets and KD targets. There isn't a single stationary target in the match.

Here's a link to the stages we shot.

Bigfork Contraption Match

Sage Creek

Hot Diggity dog that's a match fer me!!!!

Problem is , by the time I got there, I'd have forgot why I came!!!

Montana!!!...Wow that's about $2000 worth of gas!!

Is there any law about Hitchhiking with 3 pistols, 2 rifles, a couple a shotguns and 500 rds of ammo!!

BH :angry:

I enjoy the Texas Star.

Except when it is spinning :wacko: Went to a annual match a few weeks ago. They had the Texas Star for

a side match. But they would spin it before you started shooting. :o Not real fast. But still. Now it WAS fun.

And I did REALLY BAD. But it was fun.

But mostly enjoy them the normal way. (not in the main match. But great side match target)

LOVE flier for the Shotgun. Clay birds. Or them ones that just flip them up in the air.

I really enjoy them.

Liked the Running Buffalo at EOT also.

Normally don't see to many movers.

If you start hitchin' about now you might make it in time.

I wasn't expecting many shooters for this match because supposedly Cowboy Action shooters like big, close, easy to hit targets so I had everything set up in one shooting bay. I thought I would be lucky to get ten shooters but ended up with 24 which is more than we get for our regular matches. These stages take a long time to shoot and reset so we were only actually able to shoot three stages as we had to have one big posse.

This year we'll have targets in two bays so we can have two posses. It was interesting how many told me it was the most fun they had shooting all season.

SCG

:D No hold them real still and close so the speed/gamers can shoot them quick, most of the ones I have seen with all of their tricked out getups and guns couldn’t hit them if they were to wiggle a little (Bang) shots fired. :lol:

If you want your Texas Star to be more of a challenge try one of these.

But a box below the star and give a bonus for any targets dropped in the box.

Give a bonus for any targets touching another target.

Place a claybird or two below the target and give a bonus or penalty for each claybird broken.

Paint the targets two white and three red. Require the shooter knock off a red one first then alternate in color.

Paint the targets five different colors and paint five washers the same five colors. Have the shooter draw a washer out of a hat and they have to shoot the target of that color first.

AND IF YOU REALLY WANT A CHALLENGE!!!!!

Cover the top half of the target with a piece of plywood so you have to shoot all the targets off the bottom half.

The guys up in Eureka made some 12 inch targets for their Texas Star. After while we figured out you could just shoot one target off of it and then go on to the rest of the stage. The swinging back and forth of the target would cause the other targets to slowly work to the point they would fall off on their own. Another would fall off and the star would swing more violently than ever and the targets fall off faster than ever. It would clean itself if you left it alone.

I'm gonna go hide now.

Sage Creek Gus

I made a target styled after a nasty medieval anti-personnel device called a caltrop. Here's a rough drawing of the pieces required - cut two of these out, fit them together at the slot, weld, and shoot.

PIC

The design is such that one paddle is always pointing straight up, and it may not be directly facing you after the first shot, which makes things a little more difficult. Paint each paddle a different color, and ya gotta shoot it til that color is facing up again, then put the remainder on a dump target or whatever. I haven't really figured out how to score it, but something like this maybe - misses aren't misses on the caltrop, but to keep the gamers in line, every time it tips over is a bonus, while misses on the dump target are misses. Too much chance involved, so it would never fly at a major match, but so far it's a fun target nonetheless. It might not work with mouse fart .38/.357 loads - I haven't experimented that far yet.

Ya gotta love shootin the Medusas at Briggsdale County Shootists in Colorado.

http://www.youtube.com/briggsdaleshootists#p/u/38/cJswvdSIaW8

That looks like a cool target . Does anyone know how do they hold the clay pigeon on the end of the spring and where did they get those springs? any pics of it. Thanks

I would love anything besides plain steel targets. I've shot at shotgun poppers and the tombstone all in a row thingys (to quote an earlier post), and that's it. Texas stars and all the rest are totally foreign to me as I've not even seen them let alone been able to shoot at them. Smithy.

That looks like a cool target . Does anyone know how do they hold the clay pigeon on the end of the spring and where did they get those springs? any pics of it. Thanks

Springs are garage door coil springs welded to pipe/rod. Birds are loaded into a wedge shaped holder with narrow end up, made from light angle iron. Contact club & Orecart for more details.

My opinion? I hate the Texas Star and can't even fathom shooting the Polish Plate Rack. I have shot some milder medusas and of course the poppers etc and they are all right.

I love the Tx Star and I really love something called the 'Flying Witch'.

The Ocoee Rangers put it up every Halloween. Its a about a 15" round plate mounted to a pully. It starts at a high angle on the right side of the stage and rolls at a slight angle to your left. Although is not really a 'reactive' type target, the movement of it sure makes it alot of fun to shoot.

Sometimes rifle is used and sometimes pistols are used.

Its probably one of the most fun target engagements I've encountered in CAS.

ANYHOW, the only dislike I have with reactive targets, like the TX Star, is that sometimes, even a good hit won't knock off the plate(s).

Other than that, I really like em.

..........Widder

I only like:

Stars, bars or jars;

Movers, shakers or popcorn-makers;

Balls, walls or thralls;

Birds, snakes, rabbits, soda-cans, tin-cans or pecans;

Swingers, ringers and bells.

I forgot: balloons, cards and anything that explodes...

I only like:

Stars, bars or jars;

Movers, shakers or popcorn-makers;

Balls, walls or thralls;

Birds, snakes, rabbits, soda-cans, tin-cans or pecans;

Swingers, ringers and bells.

I forgot: balloons, cards and anything that explodes...

Fussy sort of feller, aintcha,Possum?! :rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

Archived