SASS Wire Forum

Hello and a new gun

Kyjim

Just wanted to say hello to everyone and share a little happiness.

I have been a member of this forum for a while but very seldom post. I mostly just like read'n and learn'in and this forum has provided plenty of both. My interests are collecting and shooting older firearms but I have not shot in a CAS match.

I would like to share a recent acquisition I brought home today. It's a Winchester 1897, serial number 973XXX (1952, I think), 12ga and a Full Choke 30" barrel. I estimate it to be around NRA 95%. I have been looking for one in great condition for a few years. Needless to say, I'm very pleased.

I think tonight will be spent on cleaning of old grease/oil and sipping a little Corralejo Reposado.

Thanks to everyone for the very informative (and enjoyable) posts and I look forward to many more. Hopefully, I may be able to contribute to some.

James

I'll show my ignorance. Is "Corralejo Reposado" tequila?

Where ya' from James? Welcome to the fahr!

Sounds like quite a find and a good plan, although I will admit to being more of a beer guy. Single malt or vodka if I am going harder.

Thanks for the Welcomes.

Noz: Yes, it's tequila that was recommended by an acquaintance that manages a Mexican Restaurant in my town. Dang fine stuff. Corralejo website

Blackwater D: I'm from the Bluegrass region of Kentucky.

DocWard: I enjoy a beer as well, ales and stouts mostly. Of course, being from KY, my drink of preference is bourbon. :D

Thanks again,

DocWard: I enjoy a beer as well, ales and stouts mostly. Of course, being from KY, my drink of preference is bourbon. :D

I was thinking Guinness this evening... Both of my parents are from KY, so a bourbon isn't necessarily off the radar!

Sounds like quite a find and a good plan, although I will admit to being more of a beer guy. Single malt or vodka if I am going harder.

You must explore the world of fine quality Tequilas Doc.

Not the cheap crap they make most margaritas out of.

Trust me. :lol:

You must explore the world of fine quality Tequilas Doc.

Not the cheap crap they make most margaritas out of.

Trust me. :lol:

I've had some of the better tequilas, at the insistence of a friend of mine. Just never developed a taste for it. Considering I rarely drink hard alcohol anyway, it is just as well. Heck, I seldom have a beer or glass of wine with dinner these days.

Howdy James...Welcome to da fire !! ;)

Ever heard of "Bulliet Froniter Whiskey" ?

Try some...you'll be hooked. I WAS a J.D. man.

Sounds like some fine arms...Try shootin' some matchs too...

And you'll really be hooked !!!! :lol:

James,

Check out the Rock Castle Rangers, the gang up at Knob Creek, and the folks over at Hooten Holler!

Shadai Vaquero is the guy to talk to at Rock Castle.

Apalatchan (sp?) Allan, Cumberland Drifter, and many more come to mind at Knob Creek, (which is where they also have a huge machine gun shoot).

Cherokee Big Dawg, Copperhead Joe, Double Eagle Dave, and a huge list of my friends frequent Hooten.

Any one of these Ky clubs will be glad to see ya' and show you around. Heck you could probably shoot a stage or two if you let 'em know you're coming.

Chickasaw, thanks fer the kind words. Same goes fer you.

And James, if you're comin' down Tennessee way give me a shout!

Howdy James...Welcome to da fire !! ;)

Ever heard of "Bulliet Froniter Whiskey" ?

Try some...you'll be hooked. I WAS a J.D. man.

Sounds like some fine arms...Try shootin' some matchs too...

And you'll really be hooked !!!! :lol:

Yes, I have tried that and it's very good. Have you tried Buffalo Trace or Knob Creek?

Well, Winchester is clean and dang if I don't have about a finger left in the glass... :)

James,

Check out the Rock Castle Rangers, the gang up at Knob Creek, and the folks over at Hooten Holler!

Shadai Vaquero is the guy to talk to at Rock Castle.

Apalatchan (sp?) Allan, Cumberland Drifter, and many more come to mind at Knob Creek, (which is where they also have a huge machine gun shoot).

Cherokee Big Dawg, Copperhead Joe, Double Eagle Dave, and a huge list of my friends frequent Hooten.

Any one of these Ky clubs will be glad to see ya' and show you around. Heck you could probably shoot a stage or two if you let 'em know you're coming.

Chickasaw, thanks fer the kind words. Same goes fer you.

And James, if you're comin' down Tennessee way give me a shout!

I very much appreciate the invite. Actually, if things go as planned, I will be at Hooten next weekend, I think. It's not so about not having a place to shoot, it's more about finding time to do so regularly. Between a teenage daughter and work, I don't have a lot of time.

I have been to one of the machinegun shoots at Knob Creek. That's a blast...all puns intented.

Welcome ta the Saloon!! Ya got any photo's of the gun?!?!. Nuttin better than bringin a new gun to home.

I'm a Bulleit bourbon fan too!!

Chili Pepper Kid

Archived