SASS Wire Forum

Ruger, vs Kel-Tec, vs Taurus

Buckshot Mitchell, SASS 24941

Howdy,

I'm starting to look at pocket 380's. If any of you have had experience with these I'd like to hesr. I have held the Ruger and the Kel-Tec and they appear almost the same. The Kel-Tec had a rougher grip area that would make it easier to hold on to while firing. I haven't held the Taurus, but I see Academy has it on sale this week. Any experience that anyone would be willing to share will be appreceiated.

I've got one of the Keltec 380's. Had it since they first came out. Appears to be reliable, although I have had it stovepipe on occasion if I limp wrist it on recoil. They all have a pretty good shock when firing since they are so light, so you have to have a good grip on them. I do carry it in a pocket holster when I'm not carrying my 1911.

Based on my bad experiences with Taurus, both with their guns and abominable excuse for service & repair, I can't recommend anything they make.

I used to own a KelTec, but traded it off. The hammer spring in it broke while holstered. Called them about it, and was told "Oh yeah - that happens all the time". They had a kit of replacement parts already packaged and ready to send to anyone with this problem. Good service, but questionable reliability.

I now have a Ruger. Rock solid, dependable, and I have complete faith in it and the company.

Carry a P3AT, had a KelTec P32 before that. Never a failure in several hundred rounds on the 32. The 380 started out bad, then realized it didn't care a bit for the cheap steel cased ammo I was trying to run to break it in. Ran around 150 HP's without a bobble.

Held a Kahr 380 at a shop the other day. Nice, wanted 450 used.

I have had a KAL-TEC and I did not like it at all, when I shot it at the range it jammed three times in seven clips and don't be fooled that the grips are good like I was they are ruff on the hands to say the least.

I have two Ruger LCP'S I have one in my pocket all the time,in the summer I ware shorts all of the time and it don't print at all.

I have shot about 10 or 12 clips through each gun with no problems at all and each one was dead on and fun to shoot. justsayin. ;)

I would bet money that the Ruger and Keltec are Bulit at the same place.

Hold them up side by side and look close. The only difference in the mag's is the mag catch notch location, even have the same writing on both.

I'll take that bet, assuming you are talking guns not clips!

I would bet money that the Ruger and Keltec are Bulit at the same place.

Hold them up side by side and look close. The only difference in the mag's is the mag catch notch location, even have the same writing on both.

I'm doing an article for the Chronicle about a tour of the Ruger Prescott factory. I can guarantee you the LCPs are made there and the parts are not interchangeable with a Kel-Tec. There will be photos of the LCP in production in the article.

I work for a sporting goods chain and last June they sent us to Wisconsin for training. Two days of half hour sessions with the manufacturers showing us their lines in the mornings and then a half hour shooting their guns in the afternoon. The Taurus 738 was much more comfortable to shoot than either the Ruger or the Kel-Tec. The backstraps have different contours. I really did not like the feel of the Ruger. I am also left handed and these small pistols are less comfortable in the left hand than they may be in the right. The Walther PPK rocks to the right under recoil and slams itself into my first thumb joint. Seems like we were sending more Taurus guns back for warranty work but we send lots of Rugers back too.

Buckshot,

I have an LCP and haven't had any problems and the Keltec is a popular choice for many LEO's, but before you buy I'd take a look at the new LC9!

BSD

Howdy,

I'm starting to look at pocket 380's. If any of you have had experience with these I'd like to hesr. I have held the Ruger and the Kel-Tec and they appear almost the same. The Kel-Tec had a rougher grip area that would make it easier to hold on to while firing. I haven't held the Taurus, but I see Academy has it on sale this week. Any experience that anyone would be willing to share will be appreceiated.

I've carried a Keltec for since they came out with the 380. Always goes bang and very light and easy to carry.

Have a Sig P238 stainless HD. It is a baby 1911. It is VERY accurate witout the recoil of my other pocket pistols a Ruger LCR and a Polish P64. It is pricy though.

I've got an LCP and love it. I carry it almost every day. I've never had any problem with it and have shot approximately five hundred rounds through it. With some of the modern-day .380 auto ammo, I really don't feel under-gunned. Let me clarify that last comment...the Ruger LCP .380 is perfect for what it was designed to do. It's an up close and personal defensive weapon.

Also, for what it's worth, it conceals perfectly in a front pocket of a Filson vest with absolutely no "printing."

I have a Kel-tec P-11 (9mm) and love it. It has only jammed one time when I was intentionally limp wristing it to induce a jam. It isn't pretty and doesn't feel like a quality piece like my HK's, but it does the job that it is intended to. I look at Kel-tecs like Stoegers. They take a little smoothing (fluff-and-buff, in Kel-tec lingo) to make really nice. If you are willing to do a little polishing, then you can save quite a bit of money buying the Kel-tec; if you want it perfect out of the box, the Ruger is probably the better choice for you.

I have a kel-tec P3at and carry it everyday. Fits in my front pocket with a pocket holster and is easy to draw. I perfer a finger exstension on mine plus it adds an extra round. Only problem with mine was my reloads and bullets I cast for it.

I have a Keltec P3AT and the Ruger LCP. Both are good guns. Ruger is bit better in fit and finish etc. Size and weight are near identical. Excellent service, should you ever need it.

I would NEVER buy another Taurus product. Been lucky with my PT 1911, but other guns I've tried were lousy and the customer service was even WORSE. Can't say loud enough how BAD their customer service is. Should not even have the word SERVICE listed in their custoemr serivice department, as you will get NO service only excuses and run around. Go with a Keltec or Ruger and you'll be happy, buy a Taurus you take your chances.

I've got an LCP and love it. I carry it almost every day. I've never had any problem with it and have shot approximately five hundred rounds through it. With some of the modern-day .380 auto ammo, I really don't feel under-gunned. Let me clarify that last comment...the Ruger LCP .380 is perfect for what it was designed to do. It's an up close and personal defensive weapon.

Also, for what it's worth, it conceals perfectly in a front pocket of a Filson vest with absolutely no "printing."

I too have a LCP that I have fired around 500 rounds through. Various ball ammo and some federal hydra shocks. Never had a problem with the pistol. Would highly recommend one. Only wish they would have built the LC9 like the LCP, without all the safety crap.

I also carry a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm. It's a larger gun than the .380, but work flawlessly. A friend just bought a Ruger .380 (not sure of the model) and it came with a warning not to carry it with a round in the chamber. I believe I also read on the wire where they are not approved for sale in Ca. because they did not pass the drop test.

Had to wait 6 months for the order and never made it to my pocket. My wife took the Ruger LCP and told me to get my own. Fired 300+ rounds with no problem. Was told by gun smith to heavy oil the extractor. Took a 100 rounds to loosen up the spring so my wife could cock it. Also help to hold barrel and push the receiver forward instead of pulling. Pocket holster for front Levi pocket and leather wallet holster for back pocket with slacks.

Major Bill

I also carry a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm. It's a larger gun than the .380, but work flawlessly. A friend just bought a Ruger .380 (not sure of the model) and it came with a warning not to carry it with a round in the chamber. I believe I also read on the wire where they are not approved for sale in Ca. because they did not pass the drop test.

The P-11 has the same issue. It doesn't have a firing pin block, so if dropped in just the right orientation it is possible for the firing pin to strike the primer. Not likely, but possible. They fixed this possible safety concern on the newer PF-9. This is the reason that I bought an HK PSP to replace the P-11 as my carry gun. After getting it though, I ended up carrying the P-11 anyways. It is smaller, lighter, and has a greater capacity than the HK PSP (by a large margin on each account). I think that the HK PSP is one of the coolest pistols ever made, but the P-11 is just so much more comfortable to carry.

Got to try a friends brand new Ruger .......

It didnt jam at all in the 10 magazines we put through it that day .......

It is a ear nose and throat gun accuracy wise as the trigger was pretty rough ,so long as ya dont expect a lot that way ,you should be happy with it.

The slide didnt stay open when it was empty ,my kel-tec 32 does ......and like the trigger in the Kel-tec over the Ruger ,but the kel-tecs a 32 so dunno about the .380.

The laser grip on his gun went out after about 4 magazines ,not sure why .

From what I have heard about the little Sig they are awesome ........single action trigger prolly the reason but then dunno if ya would want to carry cocked and locked.........(they are pricey but from what I hear well worth it ,but they also bigger and heavier)

If there is a range around that rents guns ,that would be the best way to check em out .........my friend had buyers remorse ,but I think his expectations were a little high for these kinda guns .

He is ex Lawdog ,and liked the way the slide stayed open on the Kel-tec .........I don't know if the Ruger was supposed to or not ,but for me thats kinda an issue

I figure anything that's good enough for my favorite firearms manufacturer to copy is good enough for me. :lol:

Got a hunnerd rounds through my Kel-Tec P-3AT with nary a failure to do anything. Trigger is already measurably lighter. About half and half Win. Whitebox and my 95 grain RN reloads and a few of the buck-a-piece JHP Bonded whatevers from Winchester (that's what I'll pack if this %@&% yankie weather ever gets out of here and I get a few hundred more rounds through it).

Accurate little son of a gun. Better accuracy and waaaay better functioning than my 1966 version of Walther's PPK, which flies at least one round high out of the group regardless of ammo. The P-3AT's best features to me are reliability, reasonable accuracy, and light weight. I'd guarantee that R.R.R. has passed heavier gas. :o

A friend has the .32. It, too, functions well and the bolt stays back when shot empty. As pointed out earlier, the P-3AT doesn't. I aint much of an auto man and not to be argumentive, but for the life of me, I can't figure much of an advantage to the port staying open after the last shot.

Would somebody please 'splain?

I've also shot a few rounds through a pard's LCP and wouldn't spit for the difference. I recommend the one that saves you a couple bucks.

Cherokee

Have both a Ruger LCP & a Kahr P380. Ruger has been fine after sending (new) back to factory for tune-up, but much prefer the quality, feel, and especially low Novak sights on the Kahr. Costs a bit more than the Ruger, but you get more gun as well, leastways in my opinion.......

Kid Colter

Pard,

If the slide stays to the rear you know the mag is empty.

You change mags and slide the slide forward and its ready.

Many prefer the slide stay back.

Im not so sure its a deal breaker.

Buy the one that fits your hand best.

And check out the S&W, they are real new.

If you need more horsepower, s&w ti lightweight in 38 or 357.

Better grip too....

Best

CR

Don't be persuaded that weight and concealability are everything. Unless you are a brilliant shot (under serious stress), 380 just doesn't cut it. After in depth experience in Africa, I will not ever go smaller than 45. But 9mm, using Hornady Critical Defense ammo may be an acceptable compromise. In which case, consider spending a few more dollars and take a serious look at Kirby's new Solo.

Thanks for all of the replies. It helps to hear first hand experiencies. If I pick up one of these pocket 380s it will be for when I can't carry and conceal my bigger handgun. I always feel better with a larger caliber, but here in south Louisiana the summers don't allow alot of layers to cover what you are trying to hide. I' going to a gun show tommorow and I'll see what's there. At the last show one dealer had the Kel-Tec for around 260 and the Ruger for around 290. Thanks again.

Thanks for all of the replies. It helps to hear first hand experiencies. If I pick up one of these pocket 380s it will be for when I can't carry and conceal my bigger handgun. I always feel better with a larger caliber, but here in south Louisiana the summers don't allow alot of layers to cover what you are trying to hide. I' going to a gun show tommorow and I'll see what's there. At the last show one dealer had the Kel-Tec for around 260 and the Ruger for around 290. Thanks again.

Buckshot

That's good prices for either of them new.

I paid 185 on GB for a Kel-tec P32 lightly used and around 250 for a P11 Kel-Tec 9mm. Both are very concealable in the summer here in FL. Although I like the 9mm I carry the P32 more because it's lighter and easier to conceal.

I like the slide to stay open after the last shot on an auto. The P32 does. I thought the P3-AT did too but from the comments above I guess not. The LCP does not stay open after the last shot.

When I was looking to buy something I stopped by one of the gunshops and they told me that a customer had brought back a P3-AT that he carried all the time. Well he was on his motorcycle and the gun fell out onto the pavement while he was accelerating from a stop sign. I don't know how he knew he had lost his gun but he did a quick U and went back and got it. Anyway it had not discharged but was pretty mangled. The dealer sent it back to KelTec and they replaced it for free. Can't ask for better than that.

I wouldn't turn down with the Kel-Tec or Ruger at a good price.

The Taurus you could use for a paperweight if you couldn't find a rock.

Have fun makin your decision.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

If price is not a major consideration for you, before you consider any pocket rocket I suggest that you take a look @ the all new Kimber Solo 9mm. http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo It comes in two models. I have a Kimber Solo Carry on order @ $687.39 (tax included). I was able to hold & dry fire but not shoot one the other day @ my favorite toy store. I like the trigger pull which is very light & short for a DA pistol. Kimber sells dealer direct & they sent each one of their dealers one for display and the release date is next month, I believe the 19th. They let each dealer order only 20 & I'm #34 on his list. When I get it I'll retire my Colt Gov. Model 380 to an occasional summer carry piece.

Archived