SASS Wire Forum

Reload Powders for 32 H&R Mag..

J.D.Ironsmith

Trying to find a good powder for my 32's

Will Clays work?

Live out in the sticks and it ain't like I have a huge bunch of choices, and if I order it I want to make sure I get something that works well.

Ms. Mary Matilda's .32 H&R Magnum are loaded with Trail Boss..... does fine

J. D. - I have used Clay's and Titegroup and Trail Boss...........

Clay's and Trail Boss are a bigger flake powder and may not measure consistant depending on what reloader you have.........

Titegroup is finer grain and does have a louder report (Bang) - which may be needed depending on how well your spotters can hear...???

I like Trail Boss my self because it loads well for me and I can see how much is in the case.......but I do switch back and forth depending on what powder I have on hand..........

So - maybe buy a small can (1-lb )of each and see what works best for you........

Regards...Wolf

Clays will work and is one of the least expensive, if not the least expensive, powders out there. I've seen it be sensitive to cold. I use Titegroup for all cartridge loads, but as you can see, there are many powders that will do the job.

I shoot .32 H&R Magnums and load on a Dillon Square Deal "B"; I use Trail Boss and if I can see the powder in the shell casing I know the powder dropped the proper charge into the case.

One national champion who shoots locally uses Clays in her 32s. My wife likes Bullseye in hers. She used Unique (it worked fine) but found her hands cleaner after a day of shooting Bullseye.

Thanks for all the replies. I have made a list of what has been mentioned and I will head to town and see what is available.

I have been using Clays for my .357's and 45's, but can't find ANY data for it with the 32's (bit concerned about getting consistent metering at such a light charge out of my old RCBS powder measure) The powder measure has done fine over the years, but I have never tried anything as light as what the 32's will call for.

Thanks again,

J.D.

Thanks for all the replies. I have made a list of what has been mentioned and I will head to town and see what is available.

I have been using Clays for my .357's and 45's, but can't find ANY data for it with the 32's (bit concerned about getting consistent metering at such a light charge out of my old RCBS powder measure) The powder measure has done fine over the years, but I have never tried anything as light as what the 32's will call for.

Thanks again,

J.D.

J.D., what I do to ensure that I have peace of mind is I bought an inexpensive fish tank motor (@ $5) and banded it onto my powder measure tube; the vibration makes sure that there is no bridging of the powder and I always get a uniform powder drop.

When I load them.....I use VVN320 seems to burn up everything.........

I use 777 or red dot, the young lady shooting the red dot went from a novice and last place to finishing in the top 3 slots before Fall stopped her going to shoots because of school.

American Select or Vita Voruhi N320, both work well.

Archived