SASS Wire Forum

Nagging 650 Loading Issue

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

Just finished loading several thousand rounds on my 650. Seems like every time I do it, I end up with spent primers all over the loading bench and floor. Some percentage, say 10-15% do not fall into the blue small primer tray. Have put up with this for many years, but surely someone else has solved the problem. The tray did not originally go far enough in on the two slides, so I trimmed the blue plastic tray a bit, and it appeared to go all the way in and seat in place. That helped a small amount. Then I used tape and built up a ledge on the front of the blue tray and that helped a little but still get the spilled spent primers. Anyone have a permanent fix. In the past I have talked to Dillon and they even sent a new tray identical to my original tray. It is almost like the spent primer sticks to the primer punch pin or something as the spent primer just flies away (maybe 10-15% of the time) and end up in cracks in the press and everywhere. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this issue?

On eBay someone is selling a gadget he developed to catch primers from the Dillon 650. He has it listed as Dillon XL 650 Spent Primer Upgrade if you want to do a find on it.

I just took a close look at where the blue cup does not come all the way up to meet the bottom of the press, and clipped out a sheet metal strip, bent into a U shape, and riveted it to the blue cup lip with one rivet on the right side. This kind of allows the metal strip to float a little so that I can insert the cup easily, but the metal strip seals up the gap. Since I have done that fix, I've had only about 1 primer in a thousand escape. Was spitting out about 5 per hundred before that fix. Took about 5 minutes - some of the best spent time I ever worked.

If you can't figure it out, I'll snap a photo for you - just ask.

Good luck, GJ

Oddly, mine has never spilled a primer unless full OR unless I failed to get it fully seated when I put it back. I doubt the upgrade will help unless ya create a dam around the edges (make it permanent) using tape or whatever. All the upgrade does is add a hose barb to the bottom of that same cup you have so the primers can be fed into a jar via a hose.

My thinkin is the rails the cup go onto must be mis aligned on yours, preventing the cup seating properly.

Remove the blue plastic primer catcher

Slide a empty cardboard box that your bullets were shipped in under there

Next problem...

Just finished loading several thousand rounds on my 650. Seems like every time I do it, I end up with spent primers all over the loading bench and floor. Some percentage, say 10-15% do not fall into the blue small primer tray. Have put up with this for many years, but surely someone else has solved the problem. The tray did not originally go far enough in on the two slides, so I trimmed the blue plastic tray a bit, and it appeared to go all the way in and seat in place. That helped a small amount. Then I used tape and built up a ledge on the front of the blue tray and that helped a little but still get the spilled spent primers. Anyone have a permanent fix. In the past I have talked to Dillon and they even sent a new tray identical to my original tray. It is almost like the spent primer sticks to the primer punch pin or something as the spent primer just flies away (maybe 10-15% of the time) and end up in cracks in the press and everywhere. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this issue?

What I did was remove spent primer bin,take a piece of .45 long colt brass & drill out primer pocket so a small pistol primer will easily fall thru ,next loosen bracket that held spent primer bin you will find that you will able to slide spent case underneath bracket so case lip is captured in bracket,so now you have a nipple to attach a hose to.

I drilled a hole in bench next to machine so hose goes thru & dumps spent primers in a big jar.

so you need a spent .45 lC brass,a hose clamp,& a piece of cheap vinyl hose

just make sure you line up hole in brass where primers come out,you might have to grind a little bit to make brass fit in bracket(I did not)

I think you can buy a nipple like this for the Dillion but the piece of brass works great,no issues.

AO

Kid-you have done right with the trim-I then placed on the face of the blu tray,look under where the primers hit the blue face and placed a small piece of cardboard coverd with duct tape to absorb, stop primer from bouncing up and out.

Here ya go.http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=dillon+spent+primer&_sacat=0&_odkw=dillon&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

RRR

I can't hep it new years. I can't

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=dillon+sp...6.c0.m270.l1313

Remove the blue plastic primer catcher

Slide a empty cardboard box that your bullets were shipped in under there

Next problem...

I think Matthew has this one right.

I tossed the little blue catcher after my first reloading session and put a box under there and have never had a problem.

Cheap.

Easy.

Quick.

It does make you wonder why a company like Dillon focused on customer service has not provided a fix for this

I too right after my first session with the 650 made myself a catcher very much like the one that a smart marketer is sellin on eBay. took very little time to make the top part on the lathe out of scrap Al; and a chunk of 1/2 ID tube and an empty beer can and some duct tape... not as pretty as the eBay one but functional.

judging by this thread Dillon have known about this problem for years and just send out replacement blue plastic sort of catches most of your spent primers box's at some trouble and expense if you call and ask about it.

this thread shows several cheap and effective ways of dealing with this minor annoyance it would be nice if Dillon took one of them on board for new build 650s

(just wondered if any of the other machines they make have the same problem?)

Cheers

Windy

I to had the same problem with the 650, and added tape around the top. But about six month ago I broke my decapper. I did not have one for the dillon so I just put in one of my old Lee dies. Didn't think about it till I saw this thread but I haven't had a problem since I put in the Lee die. I wonder if it is because the Lee die just has a straight pin to decap, and is not springloaded like the Dillon?

Black Tom

I think Matthew has this one right.

I tossed the little blue catcher after my first reloading session and put a box under there and have never had a problem.

Cheap.

Easy.

Quick.

Simple is good, exactly where did you put the box ? I have a strong mount and when there is no Dillion blue box installed, the primers just rattle down and go every direction as they tinkle down hitting various pieces of the reloader or strong mount?

I picked up a kit that fastend where the blue container goes.

remove the blue container and fasten a little gizmo and hook up

a small hose which goes into a large container on the bench.

Works great and it solves the problem. I think anyone could make

something along these lines if the wanted to.

I got tired of emptying the loaded bullets container so I took some

3 inch plastic (white/black) drain pipe, cut it to fit my needs and fastened it to the bench.

I now place an ammo can under the bench so the loaded rounds end up in the can after

traveling down a 30 inch slide. The can holds about 1200 rounds and it works great.

Happy trails

QDG 48525 :blink:

What I did was remove spent primer bin,take a piece of .45 long colt brass & drill out primer pocket so a small pistol primer will easily fall thru ,next loosen bracket that held spent primer bin you will find that you will able to slide spent case underneath bracket so case lip is captured in bracket,so now you have a nipple to attach a hose to.

I drilled a hole in bench next to machine so hose goes thru & dumps spent primers in a big jar.

so you need a spent .45 lC brass,a hose clamp,& a piece of cheap vinyl hose

just make sure you line up hole in brass where primers come out,you might have to grind a little bit to make brass fit in bracket(I did not)

I think you can buy a nipple like this for the Dillion but the piece of brass works great,no issues.

AO

+1

This works GREAT!

Stan

Archived